Buffalo Bore Ammo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo Bore Ammo

thegriz18
08-24-2010, 18:19
Does the Buffalo Bore ammo really get up to the muzzle velocity advertised? Looks kind of suspect. Especially since they list their 40 loads as +P when there is no such thing.

Trigger Finger
08-24-2010, 19:19
I read that they perform as advertised. Some magazine tested several calibers and found them very close. I don't understand when you say there is no such thing as 40 caliber +P!!

If they load this about 10% higher pressure than the SAAMI standard for this round IMHO that would make it a +P, just like 9mm. The fact that SAAMI does not recognize 40 +P and very few, if any, other ammo companies load the 40 to this level does not change the fact that BB loads it to +P standards, and the velocity says that they do.

cowboy1964
08-24-2010, 19:24
If you're going to chance .40+P why not just get a 10mm and be able to shoot everything from weak .40 to full power 10mm?

thegriz18
08-24-2010, 19:48
I read that they perform as advertised. Some magazine tested several calibers and found them very close. I don't understand when you say there is no such thing as 40 caliber +P!!

If they load this about 10% higher pressure than the SAAMI standard for this round IMHO that would make it a +P, just like 9mm. The fact that SAAMI does not recognize 40 +P and very few, if any, other ammo companies load the 40 to this level does not change the fact that BB loads it to +P standards, and the velocity says that they do.

I don't think their pressure exceeds SAAMI standards for the 40. That is why I say it doesn't exist.

thegriz18
08-24-2010, 19:49
If you're going to chance .40+P why not just get a 10mm and be able to shoot everything from weak .40 to full power 10mm?

I've thought about it. If they only made a 10mm Glock around the same size as the G19/23.

Trigger Finger
08-24-2010, 23:35

Smaller gun! I like the 10mm but I prefer a 40 in a 9mm size gun.

Trigger Finger
08-24-2010, 23:39
I don't think their pressure exceeds SAAMI standards for the 40. That is why I say it doesn't exist.

griz, you beet me to it. I prefer the smaller size of the 40 cal weapons also.

I thought it did exceed SAMMI standards but I could very well be wrong. If that is the case then I can't understand where the higher velocities come from with BB!

NonPCnraRN
08-25-2010, 01:18
Buffalo Bore warns the purchasers of their 40 S&W (call it +P or whatever) ammo NOT to fire it through Glock barrels because of likely case rupture. BB insists that an aftermarket barrel with a fully supported chamber be installed before using their ammo. BB also states that their hardcast bullets are ok in Glock barrels as they have a BHN of 21. The reported problems with lead bullets comes from the use of soft target alloys or swaged bullets. So I would deduce from this that their ammo is loaded hotter than industry standard. They also list the velocities of their ammo out of real guns, not pressure test barrels. Their 230 FMJ-FP 45 ACP will get your attention out of a 1911. I put a Fire Dragon Recoil Reducer in my Milspec to keep the gun from getting battered with steady use of this ammo.

detroitdiablo
08-27-2010, 14:23
Just bought some buffalo bore .357 sig, hope it is as good as it costs!! I tried them because of all the negative posts about doubletap. I used doubletap in the early years when they were just getting hyped and the stuff was awesome. But since then a lot of negative posts, bullet switcharoos from gold dot to montana gold and reports of velocity not as advertised. I will let you know about the buffalo bore when I shoot some, but so far it looks good and uses gold dots.

Glockbuster
09-03-2010, 21:35
I just read from another thread that their 38 specials with 158 grain bullets clock out of a snubbie at 1040 fps.

Now, I would need to see that to believe it. When you consider a Gold Dot short barrel 135 grain 357 magnum load to go out at 990 fps, how in the world will a 38 special, no matter how you load it, propel a hevier bullet faster ?

I just chronoed some 125 grain +P Federal Nyclads at 830 fps out of my 340 PD. How the heck do they move a 158 grain bullet at 1040 fps ?

cowboywannabe
09-03-2010, 21:45
"+P" is standard pressure ammo as it was designed. over time loads have been watered down for junk guns and called "standard pressure" and when a round is loaded to its max potential they call it +p, not because its over pressure but because its where it was designed to be compared to the usual watered down stuff.

European ammo is usually "hotter' than American ammo because they dont water it down like we have over the years.

paragon1
09-03-2010, 22:03
I just read from another thread that their 38 specials with 158 grain bullets clock out of a snubbie at 1040 fps.

Now, I would need to see that to believe it. When you consider a Gold Dot short barrel 135 grain 357 magnum load to go out at 990 fps, how in the world will a 38 special, no matter how you load it, propel a hevier bullet faster ?

I just chronoed some 125 grain +P Federal Nyclads at 830 fps out of my 340 PD. How the heck do they move a 158 grain bullet at 1040 fps ?

Gas checked lead bullets will have more velocity than the same size jacketed. Their 158 LSWC +P goes almost as fast as their 125 Gold Dot +P. The .38 special +P velocities are legit.

Atomic Punk
09-03-2010, 22:09
all the ammo for my daily ccw ( G20 ) is DT. i bought all mine about 2 or thee years ago. i expect it should be fine. but when my stock runs out i have been thinking of going with BB

Ak.Hiker
09-03-2010, 23:38
I have tested Buffalo Bore ammo in many different calibers. They make some very high quality ammo and the loads I have tested are as hot or hotter than most other brands on the market. I carry several of their loads for protection when in the field.

ColCol
09-04-2010, 18:49
A couple months back I rented a USP-C in .45 and had to buy some ammo as I only had my G19 with me that I had been shooting at the range. They gave me a box of BB 230 gr +P and rest assured, this is hot stuff. It's definitely more potent than CorBon as I've shot both. That was a tough round in the lightweight H&K compact.

Berto
09-04-2010, 19:05
Every review I have seen of BB ammo has delivered at the chrono.
Good stuff.

PghJim
09-04-2010, 23:20
I purchased some of the 40 +p from BB, but was disappointed when I found the bullet at that time was changed to Montana Gold. Since I was not going to carry it I did not chronograph it, but the recoil is wicked. Feels more like a 10mm out of a g29. I bought 357 sig rounds before Speer stopped selling BB their standard 357 sig bullet. Out of a 4" G32 I get 1,450fps and out of the 4.5" barrel I have in the gun right now, I get 1,500+fps. I think he is very honest in his velocities. DT has been a dissapointment over the past two years. Velocities used to be honest, but I have not found a 10mm, 357sig, 45 ACP or 40 S&W that came close to the advertised velocities. For BB, I do not know how the new 357sig bullet performs, but I will tell you that the velocity will be as advertised.