LEOSA Retirement Quals [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : LEOSA Retirement Quals

unit 900
08-25-2010, 08:56
I didn't want to hijack the LEOSA carry thread, but I'm curious about qualifications in other states. In Maryland, you qualify in a class of firearm; semi or revolver. Unfortunately, there isn't the practical option of doing both, given time constraints by agencies and the Training Commission. Once you qualify in a class, you can carry any firearm in that class. I can qual with a Glock 19 and carry a Seecamp .32 if I choose. Is that the norm elsewhere, or are you limited to the weapon you qualify with?

Hack
08-25-2010, 10:31
I didn't want to hijack the LEOSA carry thread, but I'm curious about qualifications in other states. In Maryland, you qualify in a class of firearm; semi or revolver. Unfortunately, there isn't the practical option of doing both, given time constraints by agencies and the Training Commission. Once you qualify in a class, you can carry any firearm in that class. I can qual with a Glock 19 and carry a Seecamp .32 if I choose. Is that the norm elsewhere, or are you limited to the weapon you qualify with?

By class in Kansas.

Garrett Smith
08-25-2010, 10:37
No class requirement in Missouri. We qualify with any handgun and then can carry any handgun.

awoodpd13
08-25-2010, 13:29
By class in Georgia...

ChiefWPD
08-25-2010, 16:46
By class in MA. Once qualified with either (or both) a semi-auto pistol and a revolver you can carry whichever model you wish.

leadbutt
08-25-2010, 18:32
My old department issues a "gun card" with the make, model ,calibere ,and serial number of said weapon, only thing you can carry on the retired creds

Bruce M
08-25-2010, 18:49
I am closer to retirement than to the beginning. Even before LEOSA I was always pretty afraid of being the guy who arrested a retired officer for illegal carry - afraid for instance someday I would start yelling for help on the radio and there might be a whole lot of silence...

I believe here(Fl) that a qualification card for a gun would allow anything to be carried, but I will try to confirm that tomorrow.

NMPOPS
08-25-2010, 22:00
In Arizona you can qual with revolver and auto and then carry anything. The problem I ahve is I live in AZ and am retired from New Mexico and my old department just has a problem with the fact that I don't have to follow their rules for retirees.

igor
08-26-2010, 05:38
down here in aa county we qual at the dept rqange. i always qual with both cause i can. my card issued by the dept says both soi i have no problem. the training comm is getting lazy thats why they only let you qual with one cause its easier for them.

dmacker
08-26-2010, 09:02
Ohio requires you qualify with either or both classes of firearm you wish to carry.
It's not firearm specific.
The new OPOTA qualification course is 22 rounds of fire on multiple targets while you are moving through different stages and distances.
I think it's a pretty darn good course of fire.

Jim
09-20-2010, 19:33
Illinois-
By class; Revolver or Auto or both (if you qual w/both)

isp2605
09-21-2010, 09:49
Illinois-
By class; Revolver or Auto or both (if you qual w/both)

Did mine today.
The website for IL which also includes course of fire.
http://www.irocc.org/

25pd
09-21-2010, 20:57
In PA one can qualify with a revolver and carry any revolver or qualify w/ semiauto pistol and carry any make , model pistol eg{ qualify w/ glock 9mm and now able to carry a 380, 9mm, 10 mm 40 s& w , 45 acp semiauto pistol)

billinaz
05-21-2011, 20:49
My old department issues a "gun card" with the make, model ,calibere ,and serial number of said weapon, only thing you can carry on the retired creds

I dont see how they can restrict you.

If you qualify annually according to the state standard then you areoperating in the federal act...... which isnt that restrictive. It can be any pistol, and any ammunition that is not prohibited by federal law.

VA27
05-21-2011, 22:24
I've got a couple of retired officers from California living here. They call me up, bring their paperwork from their agency and their guns and I qual them on their course and sign the paperwork. I do it on duty and get credit for FTO time on my reports for it. They bring revolvers and semis and we make a morning of it. Then they buy me lunch.

God, how I love living in a rural area!

KentuckyPatriot
05-21-2011, 22:38
Kentucky...no restrictions on revolver or auto...if it shoots you can carry it assuming you can put 11 rounds out of 20 in a B21 at 7 yards...oh, and any CCDW Instructor or Instructor-Trainer can sing your qualification sheet.

Oh, yeah...you can go to Richmond, KY a few stated times of the year and have the DOCJT do the quals...but why?

The Racker
05-21-2011, 23:56
In Calif., it is typically up to the agency you retired from. In my case, it is the same as the CCW course; 30 rds from 25 yds in to about 2 yds for each gun you wish to carry. Good for a year. This also applies to the Title 18, USC Sect 924B card for interstate carry.

Steve in PA
05-22-2011, 10:27
In PA, MPOETC/PSP says that I, as the instructor must send in the log sheet showing every firearm you want to qualify with, even though this is in direct conflict with LEOSA.

LEOSA says same "type", not specific firearm.

I've qualified several people and have told them the same thing; if you qualified with a semi-auto, then according to LEOSA you are good to carry any semi-auto. If you qualify with a revolver, same thing.

fla2760
05-22-2011, 16:08
I am closer to retirement than to the beginning. Even before LEOSA I was always pretty afraid of being the guy who arrested a retired officer for illegal carry - afraid for instance someday I would start yelling for help on the radio and there might be a whole lot of silence...

I believe here(Fl) that a qualification card for a gun would allow anything to be carried, but I will try to confirm that tomorrow.

In FL the qualification is by class, semi-auto and or revolver, I qualify with both my Glock27 and Smith 642. The serial numbers of the weapons are recorded on the part of the form that goes to FDLE. I believe but am not certain that you must carry the same weapons you qualified with under LEOSA. Input on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

ultra45
05-22-2011, 16:18

Sorry, but your dept is dead wrong. They (your dept) can't usurp federal law, which LEOSA states type (semi auto or revolver) and makes no mention it has to be a specific gun. Departments doing so are violating the law.

Steve in PA
05-22-2011, 22:45
In FL the qualification is by class, semi-auto and or revolver, I qualify with both my Glock27 and Smith 642. The serial numbers of the weapons are recorded on the part of the form that goes to FDLE. I believe but am not certain that you must carry the same weapons you qualified with under LEOSA. Input on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

LEOSA says the same "type". It does not say anything about only carrying the exact firearm you qualified with. Too many states (like PA) and departments are putting their own spin on LEOSA.

Bill Lumberg
05-23-2011, 08:42
It isn't up to the state. You dont even have to qual with your former agency, or a police department. It's pretty broad, on purpose.

Hack
05-23-2011, 13:35
Any state qualified instructor, in your state of residence, can take care of annuals.

Bill Lumberg
05-23-2011, 17:37
On target, as usual Hack.

CrackerKen
05-23-2011, 21:53
In FL, it is by class. You can carry any gun in the class (semi-auto or revolver), and you are not restricted to what you qualify with. They do record the s/n of what you shoot, but you aren't restricted. I've had about 4 range officers tell me this.

Steve in PA
05-23-2011, 22:19
Any state qualified instructor, in your state of residence, can take care of annuals.

Provided they are able to get your former departments course of fire or hope they can get the one for the state you currently live in!

fla2760
05-25-2011, 19:17
In FL, it is by class. You can carry any gun in the class (semi-auto or revolver), and you are not restricted to what you qualify with. They do record the s/n of what you shoot, but you aren't restricted. I've had about 4 range officers tell me this.

Thanks Ken.