Compact Red Dot Sight on Glock [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Compact Red Dot Sight on Glock

deathpriest
08-25-2010, 15:12
I am considering a mounting a compact red dot on a G19, G34 or even a G21. So far I am looking at the Trijicon 4 MOA (~$420), C-more 3.5 MOA (~$330) and the JP 4 MOA (~$320). All have mounts for the dovetail on Glocks. Do I have more alternatives? Any one used NcStars? Have anyone used any red dot on your Glocks? What is your experience? Does it have to be re-sighted every time you replace battery? Will these take rapid fire? How much abuse will they take? Glass or plastic?

My apologies if there is another thread on the subject but I was not able to find it.

AZBru88
08-25-2010, 15:50
I'm running a STS on my 17C. Other then my screw up of not putting Locktite on the mounting screws and having the sight almost fall off after 300 rounds. :embarassed: Totally my fault. I love it, very accurate, very fast to bring on target. The main reason I went with the STS is the battery change. I think any one of the three you mentioned would do great. Can't wait to see the Trijicon and mount when they get it out. I love my AGOG rco on my AR. Might have to try the Trijicon on my 20C when I get it.

deathpriest
08-25-2010, 19:47
I saw the Trijicon, mount and all at optics planet, like $100 more than STS or JPs. I am wondering if a sponsor can do better. Maybe Primary Arms :)

AZBru88
08-25-2010, 20:10
Just put 300+ rounds threw my 17C tonight with the STS. Man I love that gun/sight! 6 rounds to dial it in. Man is it quick to get on target. Sighted it in at 12 yard (just where I set the target). 10 rounds you could cover with a half dollar, off hand! Tore up my plate rack! Have to remount 3 of my plates tomorrow! I'm using cut chain links pounded back together to hold my plates on. I beat it up bad! Might have to think of some other way to mount them! Man did the sight work great!:supergrin:I was doing that all the way home! Still am!:supergrin:Plus the Locktite works great, sight didn't move at all! Amazing what happens when you do things right!

bentbiker
08-25-2010, 20:13
I saw the Trijicon, mount and all at optics planet, like $100 more than STS or JPs. I am wondering if a sponsor can do better. Maybe Primary Arms :)
I'm guessing you saw the old mount for the original Red Dot Sight, not the new RMR. The old mount will only work on the RMR with still another adapter and its added height, weight, and expense. I was promised by Trijicon cust svc that the new mount would be out no later than the end of this month, but then they were only slightly optimistic about a "release soon" in June.

GlockPride
08-25-2010, 20:14
I've been following Suarez and am really excited by the news coming out of their training with it. They have completely changed mine, and many others, thoughts on optics on pistols.
If I had the fundage I would definitely proceed.

AZBru88
08-25-2010, 20:58
I'm guessing you saw the old mount for the original Red Dot Sight, not the new RMR. The old mount will only work on the RMR with still another adapter and its added height, weight, and expense. I was promised by Trijicon cust svc that the new mount would be out no later than the end of this month, but then they were only slightly optimistic about a "release soon" in June.
Bentbiker please let me know what you think of the new Trijicon when you get it. I'm thinking of putting it on a 20C. Love my little STS. But love the no battery thing! Plus have nothing but good to say about my AGOG rco.

NAC
08-25-2010, 21:32
Deathpriest,
Here's the link to my rig. The Trijicon RMR is an awesome sight. A little pricey but worth it. It's a tank. I've got about 2k rounds through my G19 now with this sight on. No issues losing zero. I've taken it off three times, no loss of zero. I've never used a plastic optic lense so I can't comment of that aspect but the RMR is glass and is solid.
Personally I have and like the 8 MOA. The dot tends to bounce at longer distances due to muscle tremors. I think a 4 MOA would be all over the place. They work on rifles but IMO not handguns where there aren't the same number of points of contact.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1252958

bentbiker
08-25-2010, 22:18
Bentbiker please let me know what you think of the new Trijicon when you get it. I'm thinking of putting it on a 20C. Love my little STS. But love the no battery thing! Plus have nothing but good to say about my AGOG rco.
I will certainly post my thoughts if they ever get the mount out. However, as much as I'd like to avoid batteries, I am planning on going the LED route so that I can get the more visible red dot. Amber is more difficult to see outdoors in bright light. Since the batteries are easily lasting a year, and the warranty is "lifetime", I am planning on that direction.

deathpriest
08-26-2010, 07:25
Thank you all for the feedback. Keep it coming.

AZbru, I like the STS and is within the planned budget for this project.

NAC, I was thinking on the 4 MOA as for distance shots (75'-100') I assume the bigger dot would cover the whole target. Yes, I was looking at the old Trijicon micro red dot. The RMR is outside the planned budget. Plans are made to be changed, if the change is worth it :)

Bentbiker, keep us posted on the Trijicon. Lifetime warranty on the whole sight including the lens? That right there is worth the extra $$

AZBru88
08-26-2010, 07:48
I will certainly post my thoughts if they ever get the mount out. However, as much as I'd like to avoid batteries, I am planning on going the LED route so that I can get the more visible red dot. Amber is more difficult to see outdoors in bright light. Since the batteries are easily lasting a year, and the warranty is "lifetime", I am planning on that direction.

Ya thats what was bothering me when I looked at them. I didn't think the amber would be bright enough! Can't wait to hear your comments about their red dot. Very happy with the STS so far!

AZBru88
08-26-2010, 07:51
Thank you all for the feedback. Keep it coming.

AZbru, I like the STS and is within the planned budget for this project.

NAC, I was thinking on the 4 MOA as for distance shots (75'-100') I assume the bigger dot would cover the whole target. Yes, I was looking at the old Trijicon micro red dot. The RMR is outside the planned budget. Plans are made to be changed, if the change is worth it :)

Bentbiker, keep us posted on the Trijicon. Lifetime warranty on the whole sight including the lens? That right there is worth the extra $$

Deathpriest I went with the 3.5 dot. The STS comes with two settings Auto and Max. on Auto I'm sure its around a 3.5 dot, on Max its bigger. Just thought I'd let you know.