Anyone use a rangefinder when hunting? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a rangefinder when hunting?

Ironbar
08-25-2010, 20:18
I just happened to be at the gun counter today while some guy was trying out a couple in the $200.00 range. I tried it out and really found it interesting. Does anyone use one?

Hummer
08-25-2010, 21:00
I used a Bushnell 550 yd. rangefinder for a few years doing bird count transects, it worked great, pretty fast and accurate. Using one in the field helps one develop a good ability to guestimate distances by sight.

I've never had much interest in carrying one for deer or elk hunting partly because I already carry too much survival related stuff, and because the vast majority of my kills have been from 35-200 yds. A two inch elevational adjustment doesn't justify the time it takes to mess with a rangefinder. In most hunting, being quick on the draw is far more important than precision accuracy.

That said, I'd like to have a good 800-1000 yd. rangefinder for hunting pronghorn where my shots usually range from 200-450 yards. There, having a positive reading on the range might increase my confidence in longer shots or make the difference between a good shot and a poor one.

noway
08-26-2010, 04:31
I used a Bushnell 550 yd. rangefinder for a few years doing bird count transects, it worked great, pretty fast and accurate. Using one in the field helps one develop a good ability to guestimate distances by sight.

I've never had much interest in carrying one for deer or elk hunting partly because I already carry too much survival related stuff, and because the vast majority of my kills have been from 35-200 yds. A two inch elevational adjustment doesn't justify the time it takes to mess with a rangefinder. In most hunting, being quick on the draw is far more important than precision accuracy.

That said, I'd like to have a good 800-1000 yd. rangefinder for hunting pronghorn where my shots usually range from 200-450 yards. There, having a positive reading on the range might increase my confidence in longer shots or make the difference between a good shot and a poor one.

ditto

Have way too much stuff in my pack as it stands now.

Ironbar
08-26-2010, 07:57
That makes sense. Thanks for the feedback!

BuckeyePPC
09-13-2010, 10:45
I've got a Bushnell 800 yard range finder. I've only used them during prarie dog and rock squirrel hunts. It's really hard to judge distance in the desert and the range finder helped. Had to bounce off a rock or small hill near the pd to get a good return.

smoke
09-15-2010, 07:46
I'd say that the use of a range finder is more critical for bow hunting than rifle/gun hunting because the arrow angle and drop is generally much greater. I don't own one now but have borrowed one to range my distances to different spots around my stand. If I don't use a range finder, I walk it off. I plan to buy a range finder when I find something on sale, probably at the end of the year/season.

357glocker
09-15-2010, 21:49
I won't bow hunt without mine anymore. The difference between a 20 and 25 yrd shot is huge and just gets to be bigger past 30 yards with my bow setup. My rifle hunting doesn't really require it.

crash700
09-15-2010, 22:31
We use them when we are sighting in our rifles at camp, not when we are in the field after game, I travel as light as possible.

GLOCK4536
09-16-2010, 09:05
I use one. I got it last year and won't be without one again!! Just love it. It is a nikon 550 and it is a great one. We have them at wal mart for about 199 and it goes up to 550yrds and i've been able to range down to about 11yrds. It is great in the woods plus a great add on the range when sighting in the rifles or when working with my bow.I found a great carry pack at gander and now i'm able to have it and my gps with me every time i hit the woods.
GET ONE!!! you won't regret it!

bassman-dan
09-17-2010, 12:34
I often use one when hunting pipeline right-of-ways where there may be some long range opportunities.
I also use one when testing bullet drop at informal rural ranges where the distances are unknown.
Although I rarely have to make long shots, I believe in being prepared for them when the opportunity arises. The alternative is too depressing to contemplate.