So much for reloading tonight... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : So much for reloading tonight...

buyobuyo
08-25-2010, 21:40
I was going to work up a second round of 9mm cast load development, but I accidentally knocked my calipers off the bench and killed them. :crying: The needle ended up pointing in the wrong direction when closed and wouldn't reliable return to zero, so I took the calipers apart of see how they work.

On a more upbeat note, I'll be picking up my new press tomorrow. Some may recall my last thread about the problems with my Lee press. I got it back about a week after I sent it off repair with a crushed ram and a broken toggle link. About 3 days after I got it back the toggle like broke again while swaging primer pockets, so I decided to break down and get the LNL Classic to keep my LNL AP company.

Hopefully, I'll be able to build my new bench (7x3) this weekend or next. My current bench is just way too small.

labdwakin
08-26-2010, 01:09
isn't 3 feet a bit deep? or are you going to have like an island type bench?

IndyGunFreak
08-26-2010, 05:16
isn't 3 feet a bit deep? or are you going to have like an island type bench?

It's close, thats for sure. If you're tall/long armed, it's probably not bad. Short/short armed, it's probably to long. I'm pretty tall, and I think 3ft would be pushing it for me. 2.5ft seems about perfect.

IGF

ron59
08-26-2010, 08:46
Mine's 3 feet deep... I only put larger things in the back, like bins. I like having large work spaces... you build it too small, then you're cramped.

Of course, being a little taller helps as well...

XDRoX
08-26-2010, 09:05
Mine is 3' deep as well. It's a little deep but works fine.
http://members.cox.net/chrismosteller/gun%20pics/bench3.jpg

http://members.cox.net/chrismosteller/gun%20pics/bench4.jpg

Boxerglocker
08-26-2010, 09:25
I was going to work up a second round of 9mm cast load development, but I accidentally knocked my calipers off the bench and killed them. :crying: The needle ended up pointing in the wrong direction when closed and wouldn't reliable return to zero, so I took the calipers apart of see how they work.

Harbor Freight has 6 inch digital calipers with a spare battery included for $9.99
I bought yet another spare just to have them handy. :supergrin:

unclebob
08-26-2010, 09:27
Mine is 3 deep and wish it was about 6 deeper, that way my cabinet doors would be able too open all the way with out hitting the case feeder. So I had too get the SL900 shot bucket post too move the case feeder about 45 degrees too the left.
If you can make the bench longer than the 7 I would. Unless you are a neat freak you run out of space fast.

GioaJack
08-26-2010, 16:18
Twelve point three inches here. Oh, oh, we're talking about benches... sorry, my bad.

Jack

unclebob
08-26-2010, 16:40
Twelve point three inches here. Oh, oh, we're talking about benches... sorry, my bad.

Jack
Only in your dreams.:tongueout:

KiloBravo
08-26-2010, 17:54

JackIt does not count when you measure things 6 times! :rofl:

IndyGunFreak
08-26-2010, 18:24
It does not count when you measure things 6 times! :rofl:

Well, his last post like this said his tape measure broke at 18in..lol, so it's shrinking with age, much like his mind.

IGF

KiloBravo
08-26-2010, 18:28
Well, his last post like this said his tape measure broke at 18in..lol, so it's shrinking with age, much like his mind.

IGF

:rofl: :supergrin:

GioaJack
08-26-2010, 18:50
It does not count when you measure things 6 times! :rofl:

IGF

Shows ya how much you flatlanders know... mountain men measure then divide by two just so lesser men don't lose all of their self-esteem. We're actually very compassionate individuals. :whistling:

Jack

KiloBravo
08-26-2010, 19:13
Shows ya how much you flatlanders know... mountain men measure then divide by two just so lesser men don't lose all of their self-esteem. We're actually very compassionate individuals. :whistling:

Jack

Well, if you CO boys are so compassionate, I would really appreciate a truckload of free lead and .45 brass. :supergrin:

You could also throw in some primers too if you wish.

GioaJack
08-26-2010, 19:36
Well, if you CO boys are so compassionate, I would really appreciate a truckload of free lead and .45 brass. :supergrin:

You could also throw in some primers too if you wish.

I realize that my last post was typed rather quickly and perhaps the words zoomed by your computer screen not giving you ample opportunity to fully absorb the concept. I offer my sincere apologies. I shall type slower.

I said compassionate, not stupid. :whistling:

Jack

buyobuyo
08-26-2010, 20:29
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm average height at 5'10", so I don't think that 3ft will be a problem. I'm also planning on shelving above and below. I could expand to 8ft long, if I re-arrange some stuff.

I want to make this a bench a standing setup, so I just need to decide how tall to make it. This bench will be home to my LNL AP and casting setup. If anyone has suggestions for bench height, it would be appreciated.

PCJim
08-27-2010, 08:29
I reload sitting on a barstool using a 550b mounted directly to a 36 5/8" tall bench (includes bench top). For my 6' height, my bench height works great as it also doubles as a workbench for those odd projects that always come around.

Since you will also be using your bench for casting, I would give preference to that operation in determining your bench height.