No Device Detected [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : No Device Detected

snewsoG22
08-25-2010, 22:54
It's my cd writer/copier. It was working fine one day, now it doesn't. When in Windows Media Player, under copy to cd, it says ''No device detected'' I've tried using other programs and I've looked for it on the computer but cannot find it.

Any ideas?

cgwahl
08-26-2010, 03:36
Did you do anything a few days ago that could explain why it doesn't show up? Install new software, call your computer a bad name, etc.?

If you right click My Computer->Manage->Device Manager...do you see CD/DVD? If so, do you see anything under that? If you see anything under that is there a question mark or exclamation mark?

snewsoG22
08-26-2010, 06:54
It's not there either. The CD and DVD drive seems to be completely erased. It's like it isn't plugged in inside the machine or something. (Is that possible?) It is a desktop.

snewsoG22
08-26-2010, 06:55
I must've uninstalled it somehow?

cgwahl
08-26-2010, 09:55
It's not there either. The CD and DVD drive seems to be completely erased. It's like it isn't plugged in inside the machine or something. (Is that possible?) It is a desktop.

Drives go bad sometimes, it may or may not be the issue.

It wouldn't hurt to verify it is plugged in by pushing in the connections just to set your mind at ease and you never know, sometimes things get jarred loose. Turn it off first before trying it.

After doing that, in the device manager, at the top of the tree, right click and click Scan for hardware changes.

Sgt. Schultz
08-26-2010, 10:16
If reseating the cables (on both the drive and the motherboard) doesn't fix it try inserting a bootable disc into the drive and restart the system. If the disc loads then we know that it's a software related issue and not a bad drive ... assuming that your BIOS setting are set to boot to the CD/DVD.

Swerved
08-26-2010, 13:02
In addition to the above posts...

Is the drive getting power (will it eject, spin up, etc.)?

If it is getting power and just not being recognized: Is it a SATA CD/DVD writer or is it IDE? If it's SATA, try a spare cable if you have one. I've seen those things go bad on many occasions. Seems the little thin plastic on the plug ends of the cable can warp and cause the contacts to pull away from where it plugs in on the drive. Sounds far fetched, but I've seen it on many occasions. Especially if it's a computer that stays on a lot.

If it's IDE, then do what the posters above said.. Check cables, re-seat them, try other cables (if you have them handy) etc... Also I'd look and see if the BIOS sees the drive as well. If it does, and Windows doesn't then it could just be a Windows issue. If it's not seen in the BIOS either, it's either not getting power, a cable is bad, or the drive is bad...

Good news is, those drives are pretty cheap now days.