hp mediasmart [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : hp mediasmart

heliguy
08-26-2010, 08:11
Anyone here know how hard/easy it is to set this up???

Pierre!
08-28-2010, 20:33
It's a Windows Home Server, and it's put together by HP... You probably plug it in, remote desktop to it, and answer a few questions to get it rolling.

If I didn't already have one, I would look into it! :cool: I *like* my Windows Home Server!

If you have less than 10 computers, you will really like it.

boomhower
08-30-2010, 01:02
They are dead simple to use. I had one briefly but have switched to an Asus EasyStore H340. I like it better for a couple reasons but mainly due to better expansion. It really depends on what model you are looking at and what your intentions are.

Windows Home Server is very very user friendly and pretty darn powerful with plug-ins. I personally use mine as a media server. I use a WD TV Live adapter with a 5Ghz bridge and stream my 1080P movies and TV collections.

heliguy
08-30-2010, 15:52
Thanks for the tip, I'll look up some reviews....Also heard that the Windows software is in beta in the field, so I may wait to see what the reviews say about that....

MrSmoofy
08-30-2010, 17:39
Definitly not beta software, I highly recommend the HP product with Windows Home Server I plan on buying one of these or building my own very soon.

AmericanGunWorks
08-30-2010, 19:38
I ran a windows home server for awhile, nightly backups were really nice. When I switched to mac I sold it (not good mac support at the time)

Pierre!
09-02-2010, 22:15
Thanks for the tip, I'll look up some reviews....Also heard that the Windows software is in beta in the field, so I may wait to see what the reviews say about that....

Actually, you are RIGHT... The Next Version - Vail - is in Beta. It looks like Win7 or Server 2008. I haven't got a spare system to run it on - Oh shucks, I just thought of one I can use! Anyway, it isn't release yet.

The Server 2003 version has been out for some time.. and it's working very well. The systems you may be looking at purchasing will be Server 2003 based.

HTH...