What do you add to your media? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What do you add to your media?

albyihat
08-26-2010, 09:31
so was reading the corn cob media thread and saw that people where adding dryer sheets to their tumbling media this was a new one for me, so i thought to ask what else is out there that i've never heard of. If you mix up some homemade concoction please be specific about the proportions so I can give it a go. Just got 2500 real dirty once fired from brassman so i can't wait to try out some new ways of cleaning it.
So if you are using some special formula for cleaning your brass please post.

Boxerglocker
08-26-2010, 09:46
One cap full Nu-finish car polish and two of paint thinner premixed, add to media and run tumbler 5-10 minutes to mix in well then add brass. Toss the used cut up dryer sheet on top.

unclebob
08-26-2010, 10:00
I first put the brass in the tumbler with walnut media and cut up dryer sheet too clean the crud off the brass. Then in the other tumbler I use corncob media. I add a 50/50 mixture of Nu-Finish car polish and mineral spirits. Just poor the Nu-Finish in a squirt bottle. Dishwasher soap bottles work great. Pour the mineral spirits in the Nu-Finish bottle, shape it up then add that too the squirt bottle. Shake before using. About 1 or two tablespoons full is all you need. Run the tumbler until there is no more clumps before adding the brass. More is not better. You well just gum up the media if you do.

EL_NinO619
08-26-2010, 10:49
Boxer does what i do, but i leave out paint thinner. Works like a champ and my media last thousands of rounds.

unclebob
08-26-2010, 11:05
If you mix the Nu-Finish and mineral spirits together before add it too the media he helps dilute the Nu-Finish so you do not have a big clump of the Nu-Finish. Also the mineral sprit helps in removing the carbon off the case. The cut up dryer sheets helps remove the dirt and carbon out of the media.

Also some people will mix 50/50 of corncob and walnut

freakshow10mm
08-26-2010, 11:36
Citric acid to clean wet. Then heated drying. Then load. Then use mineral spirits with 90-10 ratio of corncob to walnut for a 10 minute tumble to polish.

PCJim
08-26-2010, 12:54
I'm a bit different. I primarily use walnut with 2-3 tablespoons of paint thinner. The walnut actually looks a bit damp when it is finally dispersed enough to add the brass. This will clean anything off the outside of the casings in two hours time.

If I want to really shine the brass, I'll then give them a tumbling with some cob with the NuFinish additive.

Colorado4Wheel
08-26-2010, 12:57
I'm a bit different. I primarily use walnut with 2-3 tablespoons of paint thinner. The walnut actually looks a bit damp when it is finally dispersed enough to add the brass. This will clean anything off the outside of the casings in two hours time.

If I want to really shine the brass, I'll then give them a tumbling with some cob with the NuFinish additive.

THats what I do but I never care if they look any better.

Hoser
08-26-2010, 14:45
Car polish and a dryer sheet.

rg1
08-26-2010, 15:00
Dillions Rapid Polish occasionally.

ilgunguygt
08-26-2010, 15:08
I like to add Nu-Finish car polish. and when the media gets dusty I add a dryer sheet.

gjk5
08-26-2010, 15:29
walnut, capful of nu finish, capful of mineral spirits, used dryer sheet, christmas tree light timer on 4 hrs.

shotgunred
08-26-2010, 17:58
Citric acid to clean wet. Then heated drying. Then load. Then use mineral spirits with 90-10 ratio of corncob to walnut for a 10 minute tumble to polish.

As in lemon concentrate?

albyihat
08-27-2010, 09:01
when using the nufinish and mineral spirits combo does it leave a film on the brass that needs to be wiped off? i've found that the lyman turbo polish (green stuff) leaves a film on the first couple of batches that needs to be tumbled or wiped off.

Also i would like to say thanks for everyones posts and it looks like the nufinish and mineral spirits combo is coming out the winner. I just got 2500 once fired from brassman and i will be trying this out as soon as i can get to petsmart for some new media.

XDRoX
08-27-2010, 09:16
The reloading store by my house just closed. Where do you guys get your corn cob media?

PCJim
08-27-2010, 09:30
Chris,

Read down thru this current thread....
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1254333

dla
08-27-2010, 11:09
I've been using a couple tablespoons of denatured alcohol in my cob as it collects the dust to the sides of the bowl and evaporates completely. I'm gonna try the dry sheet next.

unclebob
08-27-2010, 13:12
Walnut media: Cleans the brass.
Corncob media: Polishes the brass
Nu-Finish car polish: helps in polishing the brass, and leaves a film that help in resizing the brass. Does not hurt anything in leaving the film on the case.
Mineral spirits: Helps in remove the carbon off of the case. Also is used too dilute the Fu-Finish car polish so it spread it out more over the media and mixes faster.
Dryer sheets. Helps in removing the dirt and carbon out of the media so that it well last longer.
Security timer: Used too set how long you want the tumbler too run.

;

albyihat
08-28-2010, 14:16
went to petsmart today and picked up some walnut bird litter to try as tumbling media. added to that the nufinish and mineral spirit mix and some dryer sheets cut up. WOW what the hell have i been doing buying tumbling media. i did a side by side comparsion first i tumbled a batch using lyman store bought corncob green media, then the homemade stuff. The homemade blew the lyman away. the brass is cleaner and better looking (more shine). if you are using store bought media stop.

GioaJack
08-28-2010, 14:22
went to petsmart today and picked up some walnut bird litter to try as tumbling media. added to that the nufinish and mineral spirit mix and some dryer sheets cut up. WOW what the hell have i been doing buying tumbling media. i did a side by side comparsion first i tumbled a batch using lyman store bought corncob green media, then the homemade stuff. The homemade blew the lyman away. the brass is cleaner and better looking (more shine). if you are using store bought media stop.

Are great looking women with loose moral values following you around now? No? The hell with it, I'm saving the Nu-Finish so the butler can polish the Bentley. (Then he can use the dirty rag to polish the brass.)

Jack

unclebob
08-28-2010, 14:53
Do you need shinny brass? Does it make you a better shot? Does it attract woman? Does the gun function better? The answer too all of these are NO. But too me shinny reloaded brass mean that the person is proud of what he has made. What would you rather do look at a good-looking woman, or some straggly looking one. Personally I like good-looking woman and shinny brass. Of course your tastes may very.

RustyFN
08-28-2010, 17:21
Do you need shinny brass? Does it make you a better shot? Does it attract woman? Does the gun function better? The answer too all of these are NO. But too me shinny reloaded brass mean that the person is proud of what he has made. What would you rather do look at a good-looking woman, or some straggly looking one. Personally I like good-looking woman and shinny brass. Of course your tastes may very.

Yes it also makes it easier to find the brass in the gravel if your range has gravel like the one I shoot at.

shotgunred
08-28-2010, 22:06
OK I will admit it. I put brass in my media.:rofl: