10mm Costings [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 10mm Costings

adv
08-27-2010, 06:30
Has anyone worked out their costings for loading 10mm?? Price per round/50 rounds?
Thanks for any info.

MinervaDoe
08-27-2010, 09:13
There is a table on page 550 of Ken Waters Pet Loads which may be helpful. It is for 9mm and the pricing needs to be updated, but still this is typically the missing piece in arriving at a cost per round:

a 6 grain charge of Unique yields 1,166 loads per pound of powder.

a 9 grain charge of Blue Dot yields 777 loads per pound of powder.

His math is based on dividing seven thousand (the number of grains in a pound) by the number of grains in a powder charge.

Happy calculating.

_The_Shadow
08-27-2010, 13:20
Considering I cast many bullets from wheel weights I got for free, have a stock of power and primers from when they were cheaper and collect as much brass as I can find, I'd say my target stuff is whatever the primer & powder cost at the original price each/grain weight.

Suggestion...Buy in bulk powder in 5lb containers, primers in at least 1K packs, bullets you will be subject to manufacturing packaging! This helps to minimize cost per round over time.

Now with the increase in "Copper" and the recent shortages, prices for real jacketed bullet have risen tremendously, however this situation has subsided some. Thank God!

Since before the shortages, manufactures have started to produce copper plated bullets(some are better than others) due to "politically/environmentally incorrect" LEAD! The "All Copper" bullets are just too damn expensive...period! Some of these really work well by design...but!

MinervaDoe
08-27-2010, 19:47
I slam dunked it into a spreadsheet.
If you want to vary any of the component costs, let me know and I'll plug in your costs/numbers.
I get 22.4 cents per round to reload
and 33.89 cents per round if you have to buy brass

adv
08-28-2010, 11:57
Thanks guys, just planning ahead as I really want a 10mm but don't want to pay for retail ammo. Why this caliber is not more popular is beyond me.

MinervaDoe
08-28-2010, 12:26
Thanks guys, just planning ahead as I really want a 10mm but don't want to pay for retail ammo. Why this caliber is not more popular is beyond me.

I think the average person just went with what the FBI reported in its famous "scientific" tests. Beyond the charges of:
overpenetration (with old fashioned hollow points) with a questionable FBI criteria,
difficulties for small handed shooters (I read that as women since I am quite small and I have zero difficulty),
and excessive recoil (I read this as being too hot for inexperienced shooters)
several facts about the 10mm are rarely discussed.
The round is highly accurate (while the .40s&w is accurate, it is not as impressive as the 10mm by any measure).
The round is extremely versatile

Heavy bullet weights
Light bullet weights
High velocity
Moderate Velocity
Accurate rounds
Nuclear rounds

The 10mm is on a heavy frame

Which allows the gun to wear better
Which makes the recoil more manageable
Which makes the gun less susceptable to the stress of flexing (unlike the .40s&w which flexes the bejezzus out of a 9mm frame)

If you want me to plug any component values into the spreadsheet, just let me know. With quantity discounts, and cheaper components, I think the round can be fairly affordable to shoot.

texas 48
08-28-2010, 17:23
Has anyone worked out their costings for loading 10mm?? Price per round/50 rounds?
Thanks for any info.

For using new components my cost is 35.80/100 or 17.91/50. Buy in bulk. Starline brass 136.00 per 1000 Hornady XTP 160.00/1000 CCI primers 30.00/1000 Power Pistol 4 lb can 90.00 700 per lb. total cost per 100. These produce 155gr XTP's @ 1350/ft/sec. I pay 5.00 more per 100 for Remington 165gr Golden sabers and get 1300ft/sec out of my G20. Better performance and accuracy than anything that Double Tap produces now. My loads ar 50Ft/sec faster than DT loads that I have run over my Chronographs. Std Dev is about 13 for my 155XTP and 19 for my 165 Rem Golden sabers. More accurate than any commercial ammo I have used.

Taterhead
08-29-2010, 23:17
My low-cost volume load costs about $15 per hundred. My last purchases of projectiles and primers were with a group buy at a local club. This does not include the cost of brass, but with this load my brass seems to last forever. Add $14 per hundred if new brass must be purchased.

Cost per round to reload:

Berry's 180 gr FP plated .09
CCI 300 .03
9.2 gr Blue Dot = .03

Total = $0.15 each

Maine1
09-06-2010, 17:56
My 10mm costs cannot compete with my 45/40 reload costs for the simple reason that i get 45/40 brass for free except the labor, where the 10mm brass is bought new/1x fired.

BUT....once the brass is "paid for" (shot once) prices level off some. per round, i pay 3-5 cents for powder, bullets up to 20 cents, primers 3 cents.

for HP, premium rounds loaded hot with new brass- .31-35 depending on the bullet
for practice ammo with cast bullets- .13-15 cents. I can't load anything much cheaper in actual dollars, as primers cost the same regardless of load, and powder costs a few cents, unless you laod mouse farts...and that is not why the 10mm exists.

- overall its still cheaper than 44 magnum...and do you hear people *****ing about that? Granted, the 44 is more powerful, and has been around longer, but i do not find much free brass for it.

I also belive that is its 10mm...why send a **** projectile, for anything other than practice/plinking? i like XTP's for the 10, and they run $18-20 a box. Worth every penny.
When i want to shoot my 10mm cheap, or worry too much about brass recovery- like when chasing squirrels- i swap to my 4o barrel and cast lead bullets, and let her fly.

There is also the fact that there is no comparison to being able to produce your own ammo from components, Vs being dependent on the gunshop/wall mart, ect. I'll always have ammo, even if its just a little. But when i have a little...i bet everyone else has none.