What do you use for weighing powder? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What do you use for weighing powder?

99blkta
08-27-2010, 15:23
So far I have been using the RCBS 5-0-5 scale that came with the kit I bought; however, I was wondering what type (digital/beam)/ and brand of scales everyone here is using.

I purchased an RCBS Chargemaster combo only to have it not work right out of the box, so I returned that.

Is there a better scale out there to use?

SimonovsDog
08-27-2010, 22:10
I'm using the 5-0-5 scale as well. I was pondering as to whether I should purchase the RCBS Chargemaster combo. Was it really a POS or did you just get a lemon?

99blkta
08-27-2010, 23:01
I would venture to say the one I got was just a bad unit that crept through QC. I really can't say how well the unit works simply because mine never did. I have however seen many reviews where people were very pleased with its operation. I didn't get another simply because I'm ok with the current method (dump, and trickle) that I've been using, as well as, having other issue arrise that needed the funds more. Would I ever give it a try again, certainly when I can.

HAMMERHEAD
08-28-2010, 06:18
I think most serious pistol shooters use a good quality measure (meter by volume) and only use a scale to double check charges.
I meter with a Redding 10X measure and double check with a Redding scale. Don't really trust digital scales.
If you go by volume you tend to pick powders that measure well by volume.

chippy
08-28-2010, 08:03
I think most serious pistol shooters use a good quality measure (meter by volume) and only use a scale to double check charges.
I meter with a Redding 10X measure and double check with a Redding scale. Don't really trust digital scales.
If you go by volume you tend to pick powders that measure well by volume.

+1....:thumbsup:
And no batteries required!

_The_Shadow
08-28-2010, 14:58
For my load work I have been using an RCBS 5-10 beam scale and it has been spot on. Recently I purchased a Frankford Arsenal electronic for quick measurements of cast bullets...Using the same scale pan from the RCBS and setting the electronic with it to zero I can swap the loads between each scale to correlate the two!

I find the electronics will require re-setting the zero often. This FA scale will set to zero but the measurement are in 0.02 incraments... 0.00, 0.02, 0.04 and so on, in other words no 0.01, 0.03, 0.05 and so on, therefore +/- 0.01 accuracy. Still this is not bad.

Those serious shooter that use the quality powder drop don't work out at the ragged edge of maximum either...at least I don't.

I don't speed load my rounds, I still use a single stage press, even though I have a progressive Dillon 550B in a box.

texas 48
08-28-2010, 17:11
I use a PACT Dispenser and Digital scale combo. Drops 95% of program loads on the money. 4.5% are + or - are within .1 gr .5% are out because I did something wrong like bumping the scale or a draft in my loading area. When I first begin my loading session I check the PACT against a beam scale and RCBS 750 electronic. then its loads away. Produces very consistent loads with exceptional accuracy

99blkta
08-28-2010, 19:49
For my load work I have been using an RCBS 5-10 beam scale and it has been spot on. Recently I purchased a Frankford Arsenal electronic for quick measurements of cast bullets...Using the same scale pan from the RCBS and setting the electronic with it to zero I can swap the loads between each scale to correlate the two!

I find the electronics will require re-setting the zero often. This FA scale will set to zero but the measurement are in 0.02 incraments... 0.00, 0.02, 0.04 and so on, in other words no 0.01, 0.03, 0.05 and so on, therefore +/- 0.01 accuracy. Still this is not bad.

Those serious shooter that use the quality powder drop don't work out at the ragged edge of maximum either...at least I don't.

I don't speed load my rounds, I still use a single stage press, even though I have a progressive Dillon 550B in a box.

Your process is very similar to mine. Like I mentioned I'm using the 5-0-5, but I also use the FA scale that I picked up to check my volume loads, which I'll use to check how my uniflow powder measure is dropping charges.

I dont ride the ragged edge, I just use the published maximums from my manuals, but when I load these I only use the 5-0-5.

Im using a single stage rock chucker.

Kegs
08-28-2010, 20:18
I use a 5-0-5 as well. I am using 800x, so I wish I had something even more accurate. :supergrin:

M1A Shooter
08-28-2010, 20:26
i use a RCBS Rangemaster 750. not as fancy as the powder dispensors but it works well as long as it gets time to warm up. ive recently moved my bench indoors from the garage and i have left it on for the last couple days while im in and out. i keep checking it and there is less creeping on weights the longer it stays on.

99blkta
08-28-2010, 20:43
I use a 5-0-5 as well. I am using 800x, so I wish I had something even more accurate. :supergrin:

As I am using bluedot, AA7, AA9, and 800x ( i definitely agree).