lees new hand priming system [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : lees new hand priming system

Bello
08-27-2010, 16:56
http://www.factorysales.com/graphics/shoppingcart/fed%20in%20ap%20tray.JPG
http://www.factorysales.com/graphics/shoppingcart/fed%20in%20xr%20tray.JPGhttp://www.factorysales.com/graphics/shoppingcart/ap%20xr.JPG
The new Auto-Prime XR eliminated the primer brand restriction so any brand is now usable. The new tool shares the body from the original tool, the rest of the components have been improved or replaced. The new tool features an unbreakable comfort cure leaver, large square trays that nicely Accept all brands of primer boxes with slide on covers for small and large primers, most important, The tool features a patent pending "elevator pin". This pin safely separated a single primer from the Others and presents it for priming reducing the likelihood of a chain fire.

GioaJack
08-27-2010, 17:27
Had to delete the thread... the butler might see it and want me to buy him one.

Jack

Bello
08-27-2010, 17:28
you cant hide from me jack!! and yes i do want you to buy me one :tongueout:

fredj338
08-27-2010, 18:18
The only issue I have w/ the Lee is not the primer tray but the thumb actuated lever. Do 200rds like that w/ a bit of arthritis. The Horandy uses your entire hand, like gripping pliers, much more comfy & you don't need an extra shell holder.

dudel
08-27-2010, 19:05
The only issue I have w/ the Lee is not the primer tray but the thumb actuated lever. Do 200rds like that w/ a bit of arthritis. The Horandy uses your entire hand, like gripping pliers, much more comfy & you don't need an extra shell holder.

You can use the old style Lee (round tray) that way. Grip the unit with the lever in your palm, and wrap your fingers around the main housing. Works, but be careful not to get your palm pinched. Learned it after a long session that resulted in a sore thumb.

A square primer tray is a big improvement. Only the old (smaller) CCI packs would fit in the round Lee tray.

G36_Me
08-27-2010, 20:58
how much? I have 3 old models with an extra lever as spare. (already broke one lever, so bought 2). price was my factor and i'm only half a cripple, so still works for me (for now)

Bultx1215
08-27-2010, 21:56
I like it. Soon as the old one kicks it.....I'm there.:cool:

DoctaGlockta
08-28-2010, 03:55
The lever looks much beefier. That IMO was the weak link in the current model. Will be ordering a couple when they hit the market. Thanks to Bello for the 411.

Art

Bello
08-28-2010, 05:27
The lever looks much beefier. That IMO was the weak link in the current model. Will be ordering a couple when they hit the market. Thanks to Bello for the 411.

Art

not a problem thought about getting one myself also site says 18.00 dollars

FiremanMike
08-28-2010, 06:37
I wonder if they will come out with a square reservoir for the safety prime system on their turret press, I would love that!

fredj338
08-28-2010, 08:37
You can use the old style Lee (round tray) that way. Grip the unit with the lever in your palm, and wrap your fingers around the main housing. Works, but be careful not to get your palm pinched. Learned it after a long session that resulted in a sore thumb.

A square primer tray is a big improvement. Only the old (smaller) CCI packs would fit in the round Lee tray.

Yeah dudel, tried it that way, just doesn't fit my hand. The Hornady is sooo much better IMO, no add'l. shell holder needed either.

dudel
08-28-2010, 09:42
Yeah dudel, tried it that way, just doesn't fit my hand. The Hornady is sooo much better IMO, no add'l. shell holder needed either.

I can't argue any of those points. The Hornady and RCBS fit a normal size hand better. They are also, IMHO, better built. They had the safety feature (blocking the primer being seated from the batch of primers) from the get go. Being able to use the same shellholder is a definite plus. Only Lee came up with needing three separate shell holder (loading, priming and trimming). Seems a bit strange since they throw in the shellholder with most dies.

For people starting out, I think the Hornady or RCBS would be a better deal in the long run. If you are really pinched for funds, the Lee might make sense. I have two from way back when. I have one set up small primer, one for large primer. They are cheap enough to have one for each, and they work well for working up small batches of test rounds during load development.

MoNsTeR
08-29-2010, 16:47
Definitely gonna pick one of these up, though it seems Midway isn't stocking it yet.

The Lee hand priming tools definitely feel cheap, and let's face it they are cheap, but they work great. I have an RCBS too and compared to the Lee it is a piece of junk.

fredj338
08-29-2010, 17:37
I have two from way back when. I have one set up small primer, one for large primer. They are cheap enough to have one for each, and they work well for working up small batches of test rounds during load development.
Me too, still use them cause I have them, but only for quick 20 or so rounds. If I am loading more, the Hornady goes to work.

Bello
08-29-2010, 18:12
www.factorysales.com is where i received the info!

jdavionic
08-29-2010, 19:32

Will the Lee shellholders work in the Hornady priming tool?

dudel
08-30-2010, 18:44
Will the Lee shellholders work in the Hornady priming tool?

I know the Lee hand priming tool takes a special shell holder. IIRC, the Hornady (and RCBS) takes a standard shell holder (like one you would use on the press). So, yes, the Hornady should use a standard Lee shellholder (like what they include with the dies).

Always thought it was strange that Lee would include a shell holder with the dies; but not the shell holder so you could use their hand priming system.

meleors
09-05-2010, 12:12
I ordered one of the new ones and have to say that Lee needs to go back to the drawing board on this.

Pros: The lever is beefier and is strengthened by a thicker and longer spine on the back.

Cons: They are using the same body, yet due to the "elevator pin", the tray sits lower. As a consequence, the lever is angled out more requiring a wider grip. This quickly becomes uncomfortable. Also the lever is slightly shorter giving you less leverage requiring more force to seat the primer.
If you have exceptionally large hands this may be OK for you. If you have arthritis, forget even trying this unit.

The bottom line for me was that my hand was hurting after priming only 100 cases. With the older hand primer I can prime 3x more before my hand needs a rest.

IMO, Lee would make their customers much happier by returning to the old design with a better made lever.

MinervaDoe
09-05-2010, 13:06
The Horandy uses your entire hand, like gripping pliers, much more comfy & you don't need an extra shell holder.

http://media.midwayusa.com/ProductImages/Medium/756549.jpg

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=756549