Lost and Found!!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lost and Found!!!

Brucev
08-27-2010, 19:18
About two years ago I was out making visits to church members. In the course of the day I probably made 4-5 home visits as well as routine visits to people who were in the hospital. That night after supper I noticed my Benchmade Auto Benchmite 3100 was missing. I looked everywhere. Then I drove to the hospital (18 miles) and looked everywhere I could think of. I went to the Post Office and then retraced my steps in the visits I'd made. I looked everywhere I could think to look but with no success. If you've ever lost a favorite knife, you know how I felt. After a year of trying to find a similar knife, I finally found an identical new 3100 which I bought. As dumb as it sounds, I never carried the knife as I was unwilling to take the chance of loosing it. For EDC I have carried a Benchmade 5000 Presidio. I have really enjoyed the knife, but it has not been ideal for my uses.

Yesterday I was out making visits to church members. I visited one older couple who have a Lazyboy couch. While sitting on the couch I heard my Benchmade 5000 fall down into the couch. It took us several minutes to move the couch enough that I could reach under it and retrieve my knife. I was given a flashlight to see if it had fallen on the floor or was still hung up inside the springs. I quickly found my knife and then noticed something shiny at the back of the couch near the wall. It turned out to be my long (2 year) lost Benchmite 3100 Auto!!! It was nasty from dust and filth. When I got home I soaked it in alcohol and then put a little bit of Kroil on the mechanism. It was just a beautiful and wonderful to hold and use as I remembered.

I don't suppose this little Benchmite Auto is so very exotic. But I have very much enjoyed it for ED pocket carry when wearing dress pants. Now I have one brand new in the box, one that was lost and has been found and cleaned and returned to service and I have the 5000 for those occasions when I need a more substantial blade!

syntaxerrorsix
08-28-2010, 07:55
Good story. It's always nice to find something you've written off as a loss. I've had a few recoveries myself.

TheSorb
08-28-2010, 08:15
I LOVE it when that happens! Congrats!:woohoo:

gruntmedik
08-28-2010, 20:49
Good on ya for doin the visits, and congrats on finding an old friend.

rwr-b
08-29-2010, 09:21
Can't believe you resisted "I once was lost by now am found" Come ON Preacher!

piebiter
08-30-2010, 12:59
Makes me want to check underneath my couch....:supergrin:

Adjuster
08-30-2010, 13:03
That couch is a knife eater!

Brucev
08-30-2010, 16:35
This past Sunday I began in the office at 7 AM... Then choir practice at 9AM. Then I led the Morning Worship service at 9:45AM and 11AM. Then I checked on a member hospitalized with cancer. Then I had a 4PM meeting about 30 miles away. That finished at about 6:30PM. I was home about 7:30PM. All day long I enjoyed having that little Benchmite in my pocket. I like it about the best that I've ever liked any knife. It is simply ideal for the sorts of places I go and the sorts of things for which I might need to use a knife. It opens in a blink of an eye. It is very easy to close. It is simple and it is elegant. What more could one need or want!

rwr-b
08-31-2010, 06:17
According to my research they are now discontinued! ;>{

heliguy
08-31-2010, 06:21
Proof, once again, that there IS a God!!!!

ronin.45
09-02-2010, 09:39
Glad you got it back. What are the odds you drop a second knife in the same couch two years later?:wow:

JASV.17
09-02-2010, 09:47
1. Wish my pastor was a knife guy.
2. Wish he'd come over and sit on my couch.