G17 gen 4 + Light jam [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G17 gen 4 + Light jam

slukatr
08-28-2010, 06:11
I was at range thuesday and it seems that my new gen4 G17 jam with the light attached... my grip was really firm so i don't think it's me, cause without the M3 light the gun performed well. Anybody experienced the same? has Glock transfered the G22 problem to the G17...Gosh!
I've seen that the empty cases are deformed on the top, and not so with my gen 3 which performed without a single problem with the light...
I will try again next week, the gen 4 has 450 trough her and mostly FIOCCHI 115GR FMJ which are hotter than standard ammo.

DannyR
08-28-2010, 06:20
My Gen4 G17 and Gen4 G19 work just fine with the Glock tactical light attached. I've never tried an M-3.

It is not your Fiocchi ammo, that is for sure.

ravenkeeper98
08-28-2010, 06:35
What recoil spring setup do you have, the new "updated" less power one? I'm curious if so. Maybe the first spring that GLOCK sent out was the right one? I remember that the issue with the older G22 was the recoil spring was not powerfull enough. Now that GLOCK puts out the newer spring with less power for the G17 Gen 4 because people would complain and not use the recommended ammo that GLOCK states, there now maybe a issue with a light attached.

I'm just curious about that. I have my Gen4 17 with the original spring still, been shooting 147gr and never had an issue. I may have to put on my light and see at the range.

DannyR you still have the original (higher power) spring in yours, right?

DannyR
08-28-2010, 06:39
Yes, I have an 01 spring in the 17 and an 03 spring in the 19. The Streamlights often cause problems when tightened too tightly. I just don't know about the M-3's. Factory lights seem to work fine.

DRT
08-28-2010, 08:26
Key takeaways particularly if you want to run a quality weapon light: If you want a 9mm then get a gen 3. If you want .40 then get a gen4 (or put a 20# spring in a gen3).

Noponer
08-28-2010, 09:45
Yes, I have an 01 spring in the 17 and an 03 spring in the 19. The Streamlights often cause problems when tightened too tightly. I just don't know about the M-3's. Factory lights seem to work fine.

What do you mean, Danny?

My Streamlight M-3 does not have a tightening feature... it slides on - click - & that's it.

fuzzy03cls
08-28-2010, 10:31
Try 124gr ammo with the light attached.

slukatr
08-29-2010, 04:58
What recoil spring setup do you have, the new "updated" less power one? I'm curious if so. Maybe the first spring that GLOCK sent out was the right one? I remember that the issue with the older G22 was the recoil spring was not powerfull enough. Now that GLOCK puts out the newer spring with less power for the G17 Gen 4 because people would complain and not use the recommended ammo that GLOCK states, there now maybe a issue with a light attached.

I'm just curious about that. I have my Gen4 17 with the original spring still, been shooting 147gr and never had an issue. I may have to put on my light and see at the range.

DannyR you still have the original (higher power) spring in yours, right?
It's the new spring rated 02. the problem was stovepipe.

DannyR
08-29-2010, 05:10
I'm referring to the popular Streamlight TLR-1

LSP972
08-29-2010, 08:01
My Streamlight M-3 does not have a tightening feature... it slides on - click - & that's it.

StreamLight and InSight Technologies (maker of the M3) were in business together for a year or so, and as a result you will see some M3's in StreamLight packaging, etc.

InSight has a patent on the easy on/easy off attachment method; its the one draw-back to the TLR series, having to tighten that knob.

Anyway, they got a divorce some time back, so now InSight is back to marketing their own stuff... ditto StreamLight.

Personally, I have been waiting for an LED version of the M3. But the marketing types seem to think that any new gun light MUST have a strobe feature and a complicated switch to match. Simple isn't good enough any more...:steamed:

ravenkeeper98
08-29-2010, 19:03
It's the new spring rated 02. the problem was stovepipe.

What ammo are you using? 115gr? or 147gr? If you are using 115, try 147 next time.

slukatr
08-30-2010, 05:25
What ammo are you using? 115gr? or 147gr? If you are using 115, try 147 next time.
fiocchi 115 fmj hotter than conventional ammo

fuzzy03cls
08-30-2010, 06:50
fiocchi 115 fmj hotter than conventional ammo
Where do you get this from? What proof do you have of this statement?

slukatr
08-31-2010, 03:53
Where do you get this from? What proof do you have of this statement?
Shoot one box Magtech and after one box Fiocchi and you will notice how much recoil you have with the fiocchis... i personally don't shoot fiocchi ammunition in my sigs hk and beretta, cause i've seen the framerails wearing so quick. The importer of fiocchi ammunition here in switzerland told me that it kick a lot more on the mecanisms of guns than conventionnal ammo, resulting in accelerated wear...

swinokur
08-31-2010, 06:22
Personally, I have been waiting for an LED version of the M3. But the marketing types seem to think that any new gun light MUST have a strobe feature and a complicated switch to match. Simple isn't good enough any more...:steamed:

Insight now makes an LED upgrade kit for all the M series lights. about 50 bucks or so. All new Insight M series now use LED. The Insight mounting system is better than both Streamlight and Surefire IMO. No clamping of the frame which may cause feeding problems.

fuzzy03cls
08-31-2010, 07:17
Shoot one box Magtech and after one box Fiocchi and you will notice how much recoil you have with the fiocchis... i personally don't shoot fiocchi ammunition in my sigs hk and beretta, cause i've seen the framerails wearing so quick. The importer of fiocchi ammunition here in switzerland told me that it kick a lot more on the mecanisms of guns than conventionnal ammo, resulting in accelerated wear...

That isn't proof. So IDK about that. I use their .223, & it shoots like any .223 I have. But try higher grain ammo & maybe some quality HP's with the light.

sgtlmj
08-31-2010, 07:52
I run my Gen4 G17 w/ a SF X200 attached. It works perfectly with the stock spring, 0-2 spring, Jager, and Glockmeister. It works with 124g, 115g, and even 100g lead-free frangible ammo with any of the recoil assemblies.

One thing I have been noticing is that when I use the OEM dual-spring rods that they will shift to the left or right after a while. When I have the slide locked back I can see that it's pointing off to the side. Taking the slide off, the recoil assembly will usually fall out.

slukatr
08-31-2010, 10:12
That isn't proof. So IDK about that. I use their .223, & it shoots like any .223 I have. But try higher grain ammo & maybe some quality HP's with the light.
I know that these fiocchi are more powerfull than standard ammo, i've tryed some Fiocchi 130gr FMj that were made for the norwegian police, and they sold the stock to my armorer due to lot of breakage with their duty guns. I've shot some 40 S&W MFS wich are made in the same factory as Fiocchi and they kicked so much it was a bad experience.
When i shoot the fisocchi 9mm i feel i shoot my Glock22 with good .40,
Perhaps are the fiocchi in USA underpowered... Don't compare the 9mm ammo with .223, it's not the same caliber and the weapon is different.

jamaicanj
09-27-2010, 07:00
Tagged for followup

Captain Caveman
09-27-2010, 07:56

Sorry. But I call BS. Anything a Glock can take, so can a Sig or HK. I say this as an owner of a Glock, Sig and HK.

BOGE
09-27-2010, 13:17
Sorry. But I call BS. Anything a Glock can take, so can a Sig or HK. I say this as an owner of a Glock, Sig and HK.

Ditto + 1.

LSP972
10-09-2010, 08:12
Insight now makes an LED upgrade kit for all the M series lights. about 50 bucks or so.

Where did you see that? I just scoured the Insight web site; nada.

swinokur
10-09-2010, 08:18
Where did you see that? I just scoured the Insight web site; nada.

www.tacticalleds.com

mine is back ordered. Insight is late on deliveries. All the M series lights are now LED

jamaicanj
10-23-2010, 18:27
I had 220 trouble free rounds out of my G17 Gen4 today with the surefire X300 attached.

LSP972
11-15-2010, 06:40
www.tacticalleds.com

mine is back ordered. Insight is late on deliveries. All the M series lights are now LED

Well, the Insight web page still shows the M3/M3X with hot wire/Xenon bulbs.

The link you provided states that the LED "conversions" will be available in December; so one would assume that this is a new (and unproven) product.

Guess I'll stick with my TLR-1s until this shakes out... thanks for the link.

swinokur
11-15-2010, 07:27
Well, the Insight web page still shows the M3/M3X with hot wire/Xenon bulbs.

The link you provided states that the LED "conversions" will be available in December; so one would assume that this is a new (and unproven) product.

Guess I'll stick with my TLR-1s until this shakes out... thanks for the link.

The Insight page is out of date. Just because a product is late doesn't necessarily mean it's unproven. Quite the contrary.The product is proven enough that the Defense Dept just placed a ginormous order. That's what's causing the delay. I got this from the owner of Tactical Leds. He has a bunch of us waiting for back orders to be filled. If you order an M series light, it will be LED.

LSP972
11-19-2010, 10:22
The Insight page is out of date. Just because a product is late doesn't necessarily mean it's unproven. Quite the contrary.The product is proven enough that the Defense Dept just placed a ginormous order. That's what's causing the delay. I got this from the owner of Tactical Leds. He has a bunch of us waiting for back orders to be filled. If you order an M series light, it will be LED.

Does InSight make (or have made to their standards) the LED conversion shown on that vendor web page?

This "ginormous" DOD order... is that for complete M-series lights, or the conversion kits?

swinokur
11-19-2010, 11:31
Does InSight make (or have made to their standards) the LED conversion shown on that vendor web page?

To the best of my knowledge yes

This "ginormous" DOD order... is that for complete M-series lights, or the conversion kits?

The person I spoke to at Tactical LEDS (John) didn't say. He just said the upgrade kits were delayed because of a huge DOD order.

LSP972
11-20-2010, 06:08
So your information source is a vendor; I see.

Thanks.

swinokur
11-20-2010, 06:16
So your information source is a vendor; I see.

Thanks.

it came from an Insight dealer (vendor) who was speaking to the Insight factory rep. I guess it's an indirect way of getting info from the manufacturer