Best shotgun slug for a charging bear? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best shotgun slug for a charging bear?

alfred10
08-28-2010, 11:35
I am going to carry my 12 ga shotgun in the woods until I decide if I want to switch to a rifle. Whats the deepest penetrating most effective 3 inch slug for a chargin grizzly bear?
http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/blackmagic.html
What happens if you use a rifled slug in a smooth bore barrel? I like the remmington accutip but was not sure how accuret it would be in a smoothbore mossberg 590.
http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/shotshells/slugs/premier-accutip-bonded-sabot-slug.aspx

method
08-28-2010, 13:06
Rifled slugs are meant for a smooth bore; the accutip isn't a rifled slug, it's a sabot slug, and it needs a rifled bore for accuracy, and wouldn't be ideal for bear anyhow.

Here's a good primer on slugs... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_slug

The Black Magic is a good choice.

shootingbuff
08-28-2010, 16:06
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712-cat20726-cat20841&id=0061958216259a&navCount=1&podId=0061958&parentId=cat20841&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=2UG&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

Or the Black Magic - check BM recall notice on

http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/

sb

david wright
09-01-2010, 10:42
I was walkin in the woods in the northern United states taking wild life photos and photos of the countryside. Lucky for me my father was from Kentucky and had aways told me when walking in the woods carry a good shotgun and 3 rounds of oo buckshot. And on that day I had his Browning BPS pump action 12 gauge with 28inch vented barrel. I was minding my own buisness when out of nowhere a 500 pound brown bear came out of brush. I droped my camera and started yelling at the top of lungs BAD BEAR and at the same time backing off as fast and as safely as i could, when he charged. I raised my shot gun and fired hitting him right in the head, he dropped leke a rock. Just showing shot placement is key.

david wright

Favorit buckshot Winnchester Express oo buck 1750+fps 3"MAG

DPris
09-01-2010, 11:53
The Brennekes are about the best readily available slugs in terms of construction and hardness.
Bears have large bones and thick fat layers to deal with.
Conventional Foster type slugs are rounded & soft and don't do quite as well on striking bone or in passing through tissue as the hard & solid cookie-cutter Brenneke slugs.

Remington BuckHammers are also a good choice, heavy & flat-nosed.
Denis

1 old 0311
09-01-2010, 14:40
I was walkin in the woods in the northern United states taking wild life photos and photos of the countryside. Lucky for me my father was from Kentucky and had aways told me when walking in the woods carry a good shotgun and 3 rounds of oo buckshot. And on that day I had his Browning BPS pump action 12 gauge with 28inch vented barrel. I was minding my own buisness when out of nowhere a 500 pound brown bear came out of brush. I droped my camera and started yelling at the top of lungs BAD BEAR and at the same time backing off as fast and as safely as i could, when he charged. I raised my shot gun and fired hitting him right in the head, he dropped leke a rock. Just showing shot placement is key.

david wright

Favorit buckshot Winnchester Express oo buck 1750+fps 3"MAG

The problem is that in bear language "BAD BEAR" means 'dinner time.':crying:

Darkangel1846
09-04-2010, 11:36
I have Federal rifled slugs that work just fine. The hardened slugs you need to crush bone and for penatration on a charging bear....remember you need to be accurate with your shotgun couse you'll only get one maybe two shots off(if your lucky) before that bear is on you.

Deaf Smith
09-04-2010, 11:54
How are we going to stop the bear? CNS shot? Heart/lung shot? Break bones? Are we going to try to shock the bear off its feet?

Once we have decided that, then we ask how much penetration is needed to do this.

A CNS shot will not take as much penetration as say, breaking down the bear with a shoulder or pelvis shot.

A CNS shot for a large bears skull does not need a huge rifle. Any 30/30, .270, 30-06, etc… will shoot through a bear’s skull. And that includes Brenneke 12 gauge slugs.

A heart/lung shot will take quite a bit to actually stop the bear (instead of just killing it which even a .22 might actually be able to do.) Same for a bone breaking shot for the shoulder or pelvis.

Now we are talking elephant rifles in size and power to be able to stop a bear from any realistic angle. And yes, at close range a Brenneke 12 gauge slug is close to being an elephant rifle (but it slows down so fast it looses that ability past 50 yards.)

So the question simply is, are you thinking CNS shot or breakdown shot? Pick your weapons accordingly.

But yes, a good shotgun slug for defense against bears works well and my Mossberg Marine 12, with ghost ring sights and Brenneke 12 gauge magnum slugs is what I'd use (and a handgun as backup cause I just feel naked without one in the woods.)

Deaf

Deaf Smith
09-04-2010, 12:07
Oh, BTW, I did a bit of research on the Brenneke Black Magic Magnum 3" 1-3/8 Ounce slugs.

Get this, 600 grain slugs at 1502 FPS!

Yes it slows down fast, but a charging bear won't be 25 yards at the most (and a good chance ALOT closer.)

That IS AN ELEPHANT RIFLE. I bet it kicks to!

No, I won't deer hunt with that kind of stuff, but yea, nice bear medicine.

Deaf

Brucev
09-04-2010, 12:45
"Brenneke Black Magic Magnum 3" 1-3/8 Ounce slugs. Get this, 600 grain slugs at 1502 FPS!" This +++111!!!

Aceman
09-05-2010, 10:09
Best slug for a charging bear?

One in the chamber and four in the mag. Style/brand is a small consideration compared to being ready to go and hit he target in this situation. But bigger is better in this case...

taurusfan
09-06-2010, 14:18
Take a look at the Dixie IXL-DGS. They are 870grs at 1200 fps.

They also make a tri ball that throws three .60 lead balls!

http://www.dixieslugs.com/products.html

Deaf Smith
09-06-2010, 17:27
Thanks Taurusman!

600 gr x 1500 = 900000 and 2997.00 fp of energy

870 gr x 1200 = 1044000 and 2781.21 fp of energy

Energy wise the Brenneke Black Magic is a bit more.
Momentium wise the Dixie IXL-DGS has more.

Either way, my shoulder will be aching!!

They are good loads that I have no doubt will lay any bear made low if you do your part.

Deaf

Hedo1
09-07-2010, 12:02
I've heard good things about Dixie slugs from hunters. I use Winchester Dual Bond sabot slugs for Deer around here. I've shot a few with that slug and they go down hard and fast. I've never had to trail one. They are 375gr. slugs driven at 1800 fps. in the standard load.

Out of a rifled barrel they are very accurate to 125 yds. Out of a non rifled barrel your group will open up but will still likely be "minute of bear" at 50 yds and in.

fkizdi
09-07-2010, 17:15
Don't fool yourself....no 12gauge slug will ever equal an elephant rifle.
Personally i would definitely trust a 12 gauge brenneke or dixie slug on a charging bear. But 600grs at 1500fps is not the same as a .500 NE or a .458 Lott. 3000ft lbs vs 5000+ft lbs.

The real comparison would be 12 gauge vs .45-70 for bear protection
the handling capabilities would be close
the second shot capability would be close
and the power is close