Two small milestones today in my short reloading career [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Two small milestones today in my short reloading career

KiloBravo
08-28-2010, 13:39
I had today, both a struck primer that did not ignite the charge and therefore no bullet left the gun, and ALSO had my first split .45 case. :supergrin: The primer was one from Remington. I loaded the round back into the gun and it fired just fine on the second attempt. There was in fact a dimple on the primer, so it told me the firing pin at least made contact with it.

I am pretty sure the case was one I picked up at the range and it happened to be a nickle plated case from Winchester. I noticed it immediately when picking up all of the brass for the day. I brought it home and decapped it. It will decorate my bench from now one.

I also shot very well today. It was a FUN day at the range and I cannot wait to go again tomorrow! :wavey:

IndyGunFreak
08-28-2010, 14:04
As long as you didn't split it because of over pressure....

Usually w/ .45, I lose mine long before they split.

Now, the important question, on the failure to fire, did you immediately combat roll to your left and execute a Tap, Rack, Bang, and then kill your target?

If not, you fail, spend more time in the Tactics forum.. ;)

IGF

WiskyT
08-28-2010, 14:08
99.9% of the time a missfire that goes off the second time is due to a primer not seated all the way. As for the case splitting, it could be due to an overly hot load, but more than likely it is due to being over used. Nickle cases split more than plain brass in my experience.

n2extrm
08-28-2010, 16:34
99.9% of the time a missfire that goes off the second time is due to a primer not seated all the way. As for the case splitting, it could be due to an overly hot load, but more than likely it is due to being over used. Nickle cases split more than plain brass in my experience.

This is dead on. Primer was probably a little high, the first strike seats it. I have only had nickle cases split on me so far in 45 and 38. My 38 load was around 3 grains of BE and pretty mild. 2 or 3 loadings and they are split.

unclebob
08-28-2010, 17:50
Seat your primers too where you feel them bottoming out. You had a high primer. Split case, that well be one of many. You could get a split case on the first reload or the 50th and anything in between.

fredj338
08-28-2010, 18:05

I agree, other bad things will happen w/ an over pressure load beides split the case. Most case splits are bad or weakened brass. I've split cases w/ mild target loads on the 2nd firing. As WT sated, nickle cases seem to be worse.

KiloBravo
08-28-2010, 19:49
As long as you didn't split it because of over pressure....

Usually w/ .45, I lose mine long before they split.

Now, the important question, on the failure to fire, did you immediately combat roll to your left and execute a Tap, Rack, Bang, and then kill your target?

If not, you fail, spend more time in the Tactics forum.. ;)

IGF

I was waiting for somebody to ask this question. :supergrin: I actually immediately did a tap, rack, bang drill as soon as the gun malfunctioned. Sadly, I was not quick enough to perform a roll over before getting back on target. I practice malfunction drills a LOT with dummy rounds both at home and at the range. I was surprised how quickly I reacted when it happened and I was not expecting it to happen.

I also considered the primer being seated too high as well. I think you guys are all spot on. As for the case splitting, everything I load is FAR from the high side of things. I just use me light target loads with 5.8 gr. of Unique. I figured it was simply because it was range pick up that was left by somebody else. They also probably left it because it had already been reloaded a few times.

frankmako
08-28-2010, 19:52
Seat your primers too where you feel them bottoming out. You had a high primer. Split case, that well be one of many. You could get a split case on the first reload or the 50th and anything in between.

plus one.

GioaJack
08-28-2010, 20:27
I was waiting for somebody to ask this question. :supergrin: I actually immediately did a tap, rack, bang drill as soon as the gun malfunctioned. Sadly, I was not quick enough to perform a roll over before getting back on target. I practice malfunction drills a LOT with dummy rounds both at home and at the range. I was surprised how quickly I reacted when it happened and I was not expecting it to happen.

I also considered the primer being seated too high as well. I think you guys are all spot on. As for the case splitting, everything I load is FAR from the high side of things. I just use me light target loads with 5.8 gr. of Unique. I figured it was simply because it was range pick up that was left by somebody else. They also probably left it because it had already been reloaded a few times.

Time for the rookie to learn another lesson... hang-fires can do really nasty things in an open slide. Have fun at the range tomorrow. :supergrin:

Jack

KiloBravo
08-28-2010, 20:31
Time for the rookie to learn another lesson... hang-fires can do really nasty things in an open slide. Have fun at the range tomorrow. :supergrin:

Jack

I generally forget about hang fires when shooting a cartridge fed weapon. I reacted to the malfunction before I even thought about it. However, with my muzzle loaders, you are darn tooting I leave them pointed down range for a good 30-60 secs. before trying to do anything else with them. I have only had that twice that I can remember.

ETA: I am fully aware they can happen with any gun. I was just saying I almost always forget about that possibility with anything other than black powder stuff.

shotgunred
08-28-2010, 21:52
Your not a real reloader until you have KB your glock!:upeyes:

unclebob
08-29-2010, 07:25
Your not a real reloader until you have KB your glock!:upeyes:

No. A real reloader wound not KB there Glock or any other gun.

KiloBravo
08-29-2010, 07:35

My thoughts exactly.

shotgunred
08-29-2010, 08:51

I have read all over the internet that if you shoot a glock it will go KB so it is just a matter of time.:tongueout:

On a serious note I have had a KB in a glock. It was a G35 shooting American Eagle ammo.

unclebob
08-29-2010, 09:05
I have read all over the internet that if you shoot a glock it will go KB so it is just a matter of time.

Donít believe everything you read on the Internet.

norton
08-29-2010, 10:13
I had a squib load with Winchester White box in .45ACP.
It can happen to anyone.

8th SPS USAF
08-29-2010, 11:33
DP,

I think Remington is not my choice for primers. I like Fed.

As stated the 45acp was worn out. I had high primers years ago using

military 45 brass, w/o reaming the primer pocket. I had two go BANG

just before chambering in my M3 Grease gun at Knob Creek. I have it

on tape. Did no hurt the M3. I still have brass in my left hand.

Good luck

8th