WiMAX Internet and "Openrange" ISP [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : WiMAX Internet and "Openrange" ISP

Ragin Cajun
08-28-2010, 15:23
Anybody use this yet?

Just got a flier in the mail announcing it's available in our area.

You plug a black box into the power outlet and you have a very high speed internet connection plus WIFI. You can get digital phone (local + LD) as well for just over $10 per month more.

Speed appears to be upwards of 50 Mb/s?

Cost is about $40 plus taxes, etc.

RC

IndyGunFreak
08-30-2010, 21:24
Anybody use this yet?

Just got a flier in the mail announcing it's available in our area.

You plug a black box into the power outlet and you have a very high speed internet connection plus WIFI. You can get digital phone (local + LD) as well for just over $10 per month more.

Speed appears to be upwards of 50 Mb/s?

Cost is about $40 plus taxes, etc.

RC

At that price, as long as they don't lock you into a long term contract, I'd be willing to try it. Or see if they have a trial period before you sign a contract.

I've heard of it though.. I believe it's quite common overseas(japan, china, etc.).

IGF

jpa
08-31-2010, 12:27
Here in LV we have Clear Wimax internet service. You can buy the equipment and your monthly rate is lower w/ no contract, or you can "lease" the equipment and pay monthly for a minimum 2 yr contract. I know a few people who have the service and like it. I also know a few others who HAD it and cancelled while still in the trial period. The biggest problem I heard was reception depends on where you are relative to the towers and where you place the receiver in the house. There were other cancellation issues as well, so I'd recommend buying from a seller who is willing to bring a demo unit to your house so you can test it before you buy.