Non-Gapper Considering G38 or G39 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Non-Gapper Considering G38 or G39

leeward419
08-29-2010, 05:29
Like the idea of 45 size hole in the barrel without corresponding increase in glock size over other pistols. Only concern is finding brass, ie once fired etc.

Do the NYS police still use the gap? Do departments they sell their spent brass?
Are there other issues to consider re the GAP glocks,
will they fit my other glock holsters ie for G32, 27 etc.

My only 45 is an ACP and a 1911. To big, too heavy to carry.
My favorite Glocks are the compacts and sub compacts.

Any other advantages/disadvantages to getting a Glock Gap?

Is it worth using GSSF discount vs a typically more expensive glock or are the Glock Gaps still typically selling at same prices as other comparable models?
Thanks in Advance for any info

DannyR
08-29-2010, 09:17
The NY, PA, SC, GA and FL state police agencies are using the Glock Gap's.

Don't know about buying once fired brass.

GSSF price would be around $440.00 or so.

They may fit a leather holster but must have a dedicated kydex holster because of the difference in slide width. My G39 fits my G26 Galco Horsehide pocket holster just fine.

I do not think you will regret buying a G38 or G39, especially after you shoot one.

Front Sight
08-29-2010, 18:46
lee
I don't have a G38 or G39 yet. However, I like the design of the GAP case, it is thicker than the .45ACP case at the base. That in itself is a big plus.
I should just sell my G30 and all my .45acp brass and get the G39 like Danny R did.

Officer's Match
08-29-2010, 19:22
I love the GAP and especially the 38. I have a 39 also.

SGT45
08-29-2010, 21:18
I have both. Love them both! I carry a G39 off duty. I have had them all, every G--, every snub, etc. after 30 yrs. this is what I carry. I have been carrying Glocks on and off duty for 23 years. I have tried them all SA, Kim, HK, PM's, 1911's, snubs, etc. This works for me. Hopefully it will work for you.

leeward419
08-30-2010, 05:52
I have both. Love them both! I carry a G39 off duty. I have had them all, every G--, every snub, etc. after 30 yrs. this is what I carry. I have been carrying Glocks on and off duty for 23 years. I have tried them all SA, Kim, HK, PM's, 1911's, snubs, etc. This works for me. Hopefully it will work for you.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
Now That is what I call a real world endorsement. Still waiting for my GSSF card to come in the mail, am going to go visit the local Glock Dealers, (in between 2 large towns here, so...) Really leaning towards the GAP. Im going to go get the GSSF dealers from GLOCK inc and start looking now so that when my card comes I am all set.
Thank You for the information.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Officer's Match
08-30-2010, 06:33
I think in general you'll find "GAPer's" to be of the more experienced and definitely open minded / practical type. For me, the 39 is hands down the best babyGlock, and the 38 is the best Glock. I base that on (1.) the overall likelihood that those all-so-important first rounds will strike where I want them to and (2.) deliver the result I need, both reliably.

fasteddie565
08-30-2010, 10:08
As a full grown man I am not worried about recoil all that much. As I am also new caliber averse, I was skeptical about buying a GAP. Now after a thousand rounds through my G 37 and G 38, I am in the market for a G 39. The recoil is like a 9mm with 45 ACP ballistics.

I shoot almost exclusively the 200 grn Speer Gold Dot Hollow Point with great results.

At the prices you can buy them for, you cannot afford not to buy one.

leeward419
08-30-2010, 19:02
(plus)-It might be nice to consolidate primer purchases to one size for one thing.
The stats for performance rival 45 ACP and 45 ACP +P, bullet wt depending. Small pistol primer.

I love the 45ACP but have to buy large pistol primers for it. Every thing else I shoot shoots small pistol primers. Not a big deal buying both but.....would be nice not to have too, especially if you tend to buy in large increments.

I own 9mm, 357 SIG, 357 mag (I know mag pistol primer but I only use this for hunting and dont need to load many beyond sight in), 40 SW, 44 mag, 45 ACP and 380. I reload for all except the 380 which is a BUG. The advantage to the SIG was it is more powerful than the 9, but uses 9mm bullets for loading. This helps simplify my stash of bullets.

(Plus) Same would be true of the GAP. Could use the same 200 GR 45's currently using in my 45 ACP.

I would buy Glock compact size in 45 ACP if they made one. But they do make one in gap-Im thinking G38-45 GAP here.(plus)

Love glocks, so what the hell. Been looking for another Glock subcompact too. G26 would be good as I already load a lot of 9mm. But for a carry gun, you cant beat a 45 cal. SO it is looking very possible I will look into a G39, it is also same size as my G27/G33 so I can use the holster I own now. (plus) (45 ACP G 36 has different dimensions)

GAP seems like a great concept to me....

(minus)I know brass will be harder to find, but starline makes it, and I am talking CCW here, not a shoot em up idpa range gun....thats my 9

Any way, the GAP ballistics are similar to the ACP but in a smaller frame,
I also really like the compact size glocks also, so looking G38 too. I dont like the idea of buying a gun where ammo components could be hard to find, but hell you can still find components for most old or dated cartridges out there.

SOoo any of you pro GAP guys, tell me what Im missing here or would want to know about before doing this. Im guessing I can use my 45 ACP dies
Thanks

Thx-1138
09-07-2010, 12:18
(plus)-It might be nice to consolidate primer purchases to one size for one thing.
The stats for performance rival 45 ACP and 45 ACP +P, bullet wt depending. Small pistol primer.

I love the 45ACP but have to buy large pistol primers for it. Every thing else I shoot shoots small pistol primers. Not a big deal buying both but.....would be nice not to have too, especially if you tend to buy in large increments.

I own 9mm, 357 SIG, 357 mag (I know mag pistol primer but I only use this for hunting and dont need to load many beyond sight in), 40 SW, 44 mag, 45 ACP and 380. I reload for all except the 380 which is a BUG. The advantage to the SIG was it is more powerful than the 9, but uses 9mm bullets for loading. This helps simplify my stash of bullets.

(Plus) Same would be true of the GAP. Could use the same 200 GR 45's currently using in my 45 ACP.

I would buy Glock compact size in 45 ACP if they made one. But they do make one in gap-Im thinking G38-45 GAP here.(plus)

Love glocks, so what the hell. Been looking for another Glock subcompact too. G26 would be good as I already load a lot of 9mm. But for a carry gun, you cant beat a 45 cal. SO it is looking very possible I will look into a G39, it is also same size as my G27/G33 so I can use the holster I own now. (plus) (45 ACP G 36 has different dimensions)

GAP seems like a great concept to me....

(minus)I know brass will be harder to find, but starline makes it, and I am talking CCW here, not a shoot em up idpa range gun....thats my 9

Any way, the GAP ballistics are similar to the ACP but in a smaller frame,
I also really like the compact size glocks also, so looking G38 too. I dont like the idea of buying a gun where ammo components could be hard to find, but hell you can still find components for most old or dated cartridges out there.

SOoo any of you pro GAP guys, tell me what Im missing here or would want to know about before doing this. Im guessing I can use my 45 ACP dies
Thanks

Check out the link in my sig; it links to a post with a lot of pros/cons of the .45GAP Glocks.

MTS532
09-08-2010, 15:46
I really, really like my G38 and I'm considering the G39! And eventually, the G37.

As long as you know where to get ammo, you will love the GAP!

leeward419
09-09-2010, 17:29
Thank You all for all of the input and information, will write a review when I get it!
Thank you

Fire_Medic
09-13-2010, 20:47
Check out the link in my sig; it links to a post with a lot of pros/cons of the .45GAP Glocks.

It takes me to a page asking me to log in again, then saying I don't have access to that page........:dunno:

Thx-1138
09-16-2010, 12:56
It takes me to a page asking me to log in again, then saying I don't have access to that page........:dunno:

Well darn. Looks like there was a forum purge, and my entire write-up is gone.

Confound my misfortune.

Fire_Medic
09-16-2010, 13:41
Well that stinks, if you dig it up somehow let us know.

Jr.
09-16-2010, 16:24
Well darn. Looks like there was a forum purge, and my entire write-up is gone.

Confound my misfortune.

Let us know when you get it back up

leeward419
09-16-2010, 16:52
Id like to see it too

Thx-1138
09-16-2010, 19:02
Let us know when you get it back up

Thank G-d for Google. Found the page via google search, viewed the cached copy of it & copy-pasted the post into a google document (which preserved the formatting, but not the links).

Made the document publicly viewable, created a tinyurl for it, and updated my signature.

Here's a link. Let me know whether it works. I know that I can access the document, but that doesn't tell me if random people can or not.

.45GAP Information (https://docs.google.com/document/edit?id=1XBYR5fi6HXaOxnjNRCzjXWIyUo_QJOUdkO7vBspKSms&hl=en#)

Grrr

Fire_Medic
09-16-2010, 19:50
The link is GTG, thanks. :wavey:

Lotsa Glocks
09-17-2010, 17:27
THX,
Thanks for a well written, concise treatise on .45 GAPs. The advantages you mention are why my latest purchase was a G38. :D

glockoneninerx1
09-18-2010, 05:41
Thx -1138, Thank you. Well written and on point. The G38 is next for me.

David_Ely
09-18-2010, 14:32
I can't praise my G38 enough. I absolutely love the size, accuracy and power that it delivers. Mine has the Glock OEM night sights, a NY1 trigger spring and a GLOCK OEM "-" connector.

SGT45
09-18-2010, 23:04
Well, I shot my G38,G39 and G36 today. Hundreds of rounds thru each. No Malfunctions. (Yeah, that's right, my G36 didn't blow up or malfunction). The G36 is from 1999.

The G38 and G39 never disappoint. Shot Federal Red Box and Speer blue box. Both are very accurate. I shoot better with the G39 compared to the G36 and G38.

I might be interested in a GEN 4 G38 though.