Why does Windows XP Pro cost more than Windows 7 Pro? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Why does Windows XP Pro cost more than Windows 7 Pro?

NRA_guy
08-29-2010, 09:17
Why does Windows XP Pro cost more than Windows 7 Pro?

I am still running Windows 2000 on a desktop PC and thinking about upgrading the operating system.

A Google search shows Windows XP Pro costing about $125.

It shows Windows 7 Pro in the $80 range.

Why on earth is an older system more expensive?

Here are some of the Google Shopping search results.

Windows XP Pro:

LINK (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=windows+xp+pro&hl=en&cid=6126465641648985453&ei=YXd6TIBcqITLBdewkO4O&sa=title&ved=0CAcQ8wIwADgA#p)

Windows 7 Pro:

LINK (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=windows+7&hl=en&cid=3870803260970352673&ei=RHh6TKj1KIPgzQXa9NntDg&sa=title&ved=0CBcQ8wIwATgA#p)

Rooster Rugburn
08-29-2010, 09:24
Maybe because 7 sucks and they know it. Or they are wanting market share.

I went with 7pro for my new build and it SUCKS. I hate it and plan to go back to XP.

7 doesn't have the customization options that allow you to compensate for a high definition video card and monitor. If you run on a higher resolution, everything is real small. XP had the ability to change the fonts and sizes, but 7 doesn't.

kc8ykd
08-29-2010, 11:04
Maybe because 7 sucks and they know it. Or they are wanting market share.

I went with 7pro for my new build and it SUCKS. I hate it and plan to go back to XP.

7 doesn't have the customization options that allow you to compensate for a high definition video card and monitor. If you run on a higher resolution, everything is real small. XP had the ability to change the fonts and sizes, but 7 doesn't.

actually, windows 7 does have the ability to adjust image and font size.

click on the start button
click on the link for control panel
click on Hardware and Sound
under the section called Display, select Make text and other items larger or smaller

you can also adjust the font size on the left side of the window.

you can also lower your display resolution, your monitor will probably be able to adjust for the new, lowered resolution.

generally, if you buy a larger monitor, you want it to run an higher resolution so that the larger amount of screen space can be used for desktop space, not to make the icons and text larger. (this isn't necessarily true for games)
the idea of having to 'compensate' for an 'hd' monitor and video card sound more like you're thinking of them as a TV rather than as a computer, where they would provide you a larger image, versus more space available to use.

and, the idea of running the display at a higher resolution is to make things smaller (assuming you don't move to a larger display).

also, windows xp isn't being sold by microsoft to distribution channels for end users anymore (they're continuing to sell to oems for low cost pc's though the end of this year tho). so, the prices you see for it reflect the availability of existing licenses and market demand.

MrSmoofy
08-29-2010, 11:31
I have no problems with Windows 7 Ultimate x64 run it on my personal laptops and home pc's along with all of our work laptop's

My guess is they would rather sell you Windows 7 then XP since they would like to stop supporting XP

The Machinist
08-29-2010, 11:56
It's a sign from on high, to dive into the latest and greatest Windows OS. Really, it's a great OS. :cool:

Markasaurus
08-29-2010, 12:03
obviously because no one wants windows 7 except the people that have no choice (the ones buyng a new computer).
MS and operating systems are the biggest racket going. Computers DO NOT NEED an operating system. everything an OS can do, a single hard programmed chip could do better and cheaper. Instead of spending hours reloading with a DVD and tearing your hair out over a hundred errors while doing it, you should be able to pop in a new O/S chip in 30 seconds that will be compatible with everything.
But MS is obviously quashing this. there's no other explanation.

I read an announcement in the business section of the LA Times that Sun microsystems was working on a computer that needed NO O/s. The date on the newspaper was over 10 years ago. Haven't heard a thing about it since.

Slug71
08-29-2010, 14:19
Get Ubuntu. Its free.

MedicOni
08-29-2010, 14:27
You mean people still pay for MS Windows?

filthy infidel
08-29-2010, 14:50
It is hard to find a legit XP disc around here. I'm in the field, so I've got factory discs but that's beside the OP's point.
XP remains the standard for businesses. I have two laptops, one is six years old running XP. The other has four times the RAM, five times the HDD space, LED monitor, and runs 7.
I'm typing on the XP machine- it's preferable IMHO.

Gratzman
08-29-2010, 20:30
Switch to Linux. It's FREE and works very well. Takes some getting used to but it's worth it. I have a dual boot set up and migrated as I could. Now I very rarely use Windoze. More secure too.

Operating systems and software are like sex, it's better when it's free :embarassed:

Pierre!
08-29-2010, 23:54
Looking at the prices I can tell that you are comparing XP Pro to Windows 7 Home... and there is no comparison between the two.

Compare Windows XP Home to Windows 7 Home and you will be much closer in price parity.

The Home versions do not and will not recognize Active Directory Domain based security - That is why they are "Professional" versions - they are meant to be used in an Enterprise level business security model, not at home... With more security and control, you pay more.

The Home versions are perfectly suited to home use. And you will keep a few $$$ in your pocket.

You can also look at the OEM versions for potential use, depending on how you intend to use it. OEM is intended for use on a single computer, and the license stays with that computer. That is why OEM MFG's put the sticker on the case.

Window 7 Home versions are great operating systems. You should pick up a copy! :cool:

A computer without an OS... Wonder why that never caught on? Did you ever figure out that part of the article? Perhaps it is a really simple reason we haven't figured out yet... :faint:

NRA_guy
08-30-2010, 05:18
Looking at the prices I can tell that you are comparing XP Pro to Windows 7 Home... and there is no comparison between the two.

Compare Windows XP Home to Windows 7 Home and you will be much closer in price parity.

Did you click the 2 links in my OP?

I did again, just to check, and they still come up with prices on XP Pro and 7 Pro.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Sgt. Schultz
08-30-2010, 06:06
Maybe I'm missing something. Yes you are ...

The Windows 7 link you provided is a Professional Anytime Upgrade from Home Premium, that means it will upgrade Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional.

Pierre!
08-30-2010, 07:13
Did you click the 2 links in my OP?

I did again, just to check, and they still come up with prices on XP Pro and 7 Pro.

Maybe I'm missing something.

No I didn't read your links... I didnt need to I pretty much know 'real prices' and not bootleg prices. It seems that apparently YOU didn't read them EITHER. You most certainly ARE missing something...

{butthead mode off} It's in the verbiage under the 'ratings" line for the Win 7 - Anytime Upgrade.
The XP Pro is actually an OEM copy... and it's stated under the ratings line once again.

One is an upgrade, the other is the full OEM version...

No worries, I publicly embarrass myself from time to time too... Usually with more passion! :rofl:

Happy shopping! Double check the fine print.. and make sure it isn't an upgrade you are price comparing... unless you want the upgrade which will also work as a clean install by the way.

L8ter, and thanks for the early morning chuckle... Hope I returned the favor to you.

L8ter

NRA_guy
08-30-2010, 07:32
Thanks.

No offense taken.

I read the fine print, but was not sure what it meant.

With such things, I assume that if I don't understand something, I'm better off skipping it.

Back when I used to sometimes go to small travelling carnivals where they had all kinds of "win a teddy bear for your girl friend" games, one had a sign posted that said:

"If you don't understand the game, ask and we will explain it to you. If you still don't understand the game, leave."

I still adhere to that advice.

Sgt. Schultz
08-30-2010, 07:44
Double check the fine print.. and make sure it isn't an upgrade you are price comparing... unless you want the upgrade which will also work as a clean install by the way. It's true you can do a clean install with an upgrade disc but not with the Windows 7 Anytime Upgrade because M$ removed the install disc requirement and all of the files needed to upgrade a Windows 7 product edition to a higher-end edition are installed directly into the OS ... they can be accessed at any time with a new product key.

JK-linux
08-30-2010, 07:59
It's God's way of saying you should switch to Linux! ;)

Pierre!
08-30-2010, 13:58
I read the fine print, but was not sure what it meant.

With such things, I assume that if I don't understand something, I'm better off skipping it.

Back when I used to sometimes go to small travelling carnivals where they had all kinds of "win a teddy bear for your girl friend" games, one had a sign posted that said:

"If you don't understand the game, ask and we will explain it to you. If you still don't understand the game, leave."

I still adhere to that advice.

I understand... Only took me about 6 years to *start* to get a handle on what you can, and cannot do with MS software... and once you get it figured out, they change it!

MS Licensing *almost* turned me to Linux... but then I learned that even Linux knowledge isn't free!

Still thing you should go with Windows 7 Home Professional or Ultimate for right around $100

HTH

MannyA
08-30-2010, 17:55
because it works

Rooster Rugburn
08-30-2010, 19:23
actually, windows 7 does have the ability to adjust image and font size.

click on the start button
click on the link for control panel
click on Hardware and Sound
under the section called Display, select Make text and other items larger or smaller

you can also adjust the font size on the left side of the window.

you can also lower your display resolution, your monitor will probably be able to adjust for the new, lowered resolution.

Nope. Those don't do it. I guess few people know of all the customization setting in XP. You can change the size of the shortcuts in the personal bar, the size of the active title border, etc.

The limited tweaks in 7 just don't do it.

LinuxKnight
08-31-2010, 04:38
Also- no one else has brought this up yet so I will.

To the OP, you mentioned your machine runs Win2000.
Unless you have upgraded the hardware A LOT, it is very unlikely it has the horsepower needed to run Win7 any version.

This page has the system requirements:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/system-requirements.aspx

Keep in mind these are the minimum requirements- to use the goodies like the 3D look Aero desktop features, you need more powerful graphics card and more RAM.

Now with all that said, I will +1 the recommendation to run Linux.
It will run just fine on Win2000 vintage hardware, and not get bogged down.
There are a few different desktop environments available, with fancy 3D stuff if your system has the horsepower, or simpler and leaner options for computers that are older. Also, Linux has a great deal of customizations available, way more than are possible with M$.

I would also recommend either Ubuntu or Fedora distributions. Both are very well supported, have large user communities around them. Also, both have a bootable Live CD option, so you can test drive the OS on your hardware without installing it.

www.ubuntu.com
www.fedoraproject.org

If you decide to leave the Dark Side and join the Light Side, and have questions, bring them here, there are many of us Linux Jedi on the forum ;).

May the Source Be With You!

kc8ykd
08-31-2010, 23:08
Nope. Those don't do it. I guess few people know of all the customization setting in XP. You can change the size of the shortcuts in the personal bar, the size of the active title border, etc.

The limited tweaks in 7 just don't do it.

um, ya, well. what you're looking for is here:
right-click on the desktop
click on personalize
at the bottom of the window is four selections/icons
the second one from the left is your current theme, click on it
this new window will allow you to change things like the size of the active title border and everything else, and should look just like the same customization screen from windows xp.

if you think an entire operating system sucks, because you can't find the 'tweaks' you want to make everything bigger, i think your evaluation criteria is lacking, severely. perhaps, you should just get a gigantic monitor and run it at like 1024x768, or 800x600. (those settings can be found under screen resolution, btw)

and, let me know when linux plays games like fsx, fallout3, s.t.a.l.k.e.r, or gets support for m-audio or creative lab's e-mu audio interfaces.
(i am a big debian fan, it runs great on my old cobalt raq1 (mips), anyone remember those things?)