What Gives? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What Gives?

Ramses II
08-29-2010, 10:30
I have a GLock 22 Gen 4. With the factory sights it shot dead center. I had the Meprolight Night Sights installed (by Gunsmiths) and now I'm shooting left. I looked at the rear sights and they appear to be correctly centered:dunno:. I shot 5 different types of ammo from soft to hot, all shot left:steamed:. What gives?

DannyR
08-29-2010, 10:48
I. Make sure the front sight is straight.

2, Drift the rear sight a tad to the right.

Ramses II
08-29-2010, 12:31
Anybody have a good methodology for drifiting the sight to the right without maring the sights? The rear Meprolight sights are sloped which makes drifting with a punch kinda hard.

G19aps
08-29-2010, 14:28
if you use a brass punch the brass left can be cleaned off.

RayB
08-29-2010, 15:05
If the front sight is straight and the rear sight is centered on the slide, it's probably you.

Had they put the wrong size sights (for another Glock model) on your gun, you would see an elevation error--not windage. So, again, it's probably you. :eyebrow:

It's amazing how a sight picture can guide you or throw off. :freak:

Have one of the better shots at the range fire a few rounds, and see how they do with it. :whistling:

Alternatively, reel the target out a few feet, watch the front sight throughout the firing cycle, being sure not to blink (see the muzzle flash), and when you can bull's-eye the target, reel it out a few more feet. Repeat until you're shooting like you used to.

Forgive me if that was remedial, but I'm only trying to help... ;)

If you still find that you need to drift the rear sight a bit, you can tape up the end of a blunt instrument, or wooden dowel, and tap the sight slightly in the direction (in your case, to the left) that you're to correct your POA/POI for.

At any rate, good luck! :wavey:

--Ray

Ramses II
08-30-2010, 09:49
If the front sight is straight and the rear sight is centered on the slide, it's probably you.

Had they put the wrong size sights (for another Glock model) on your gun, you would see an elevation error--not windage. So, again, it's probably you. :eyebrow:

It's amazing how a sight picture can guide you or throw off. :freak:

Have one of the better shots at the range fire a few rounds, and see how they do with it. :whistling:

--Ray

Generally, I would first assume that it is me. Trigger finger placement or recoil anticipation. But it's wierd that I shot dead center with the standard sights and not these. I have the Meprolights on my G19, they're centered corretly and I shoot dead center with them, too. Still, maybe it was me. Only time will tell. I drifted the rear sight a scooch right. If I shoot right the next range trip, well, then the rear sights will go back to center and I'm going to have to review what I'm doing wrong. The front sight is on straight (thanks, I used the ruler). I tried shooting at 5, 10 and 15 yds. with the same results, left at all three.
PS: I'm one of the better shots at the range:winkie: But it is always a good idea to let someone else shoot it and see how they do. Good advice.

RayB
08-31-2010, 01:08
Lasers (assuming they're collimated) are great for getting to the root of things like this too!

In fact, even if the laser isn't collimated, it will still describe your smallest hand movements while firing...

At any rate, I'm sure you'll work through it! ;)

--Ray