View Full Version : 45 gap questions

win
08-29-2010, 15:10
anyone load for the 45 gap?
What are your thoughts on this round?
How much shorter is the case?
Does it use less powder?
Can you use the 45 acp reloading dies?

I do not have 45 gap in my reloading manuals. Just the good old 45 acp.
How does the 45 gap compair to 45 acp?

Was thing about getting a G37 or a G38 and have been told that the ammo is very high in price.
thanks for all your help

Glockin26
08-29-2010, 15:30
You can use the 45 acp dies with the 45 gap just adjust accordingly (just like .40 and 10mm). Ballistics are identical.

unclebob
08-29-2010, 18:29
anyone load for the 45 gap?
What are your thoughts on this round?
How much shorter is the case?
Does it use less powder?
Can you use the 45 acp reloading dies?

I do not have 45 gap in my reloading manuals. Just the good old 45 acp.
How does the 45 gap compair to 45 acp?

Was thing about getting a G37 or a G38 and have been told that the ammo is very high in price.
thanks for all your help

I have the G38 and I load for it. Have not loaded any in quite some time know. It is my carry gun. The case is the same length as the 9mm round. It likes 185 and 200gr bullets. It uses small pistol primers. But when it first came out it had large primers. But they found that the small pistol primers worked a lot better. If only people would try it. It is an outstanding round. They say it has the same ballistics as the ACP. But I think it out performs the ACP round, using those two weight bullets. Even in the ACP I do not care for the 230 grain bullets.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

win
08-29-2010, 19:15
Can a acp be trimed down and work in a gap gun?

This will be apples and oranges but which has the best preformance in the 185gr and 200gr bullet the 45gap or 40s&w.

jmorris
08-29-2010, 19:16
I had to modify a set of ACP dies in my pre B Square deal to load GAP.
I use:

3.8g of VVN310
230g Precision
1.125 OAL
federal small pistol primers
745fps out of a 4 625 revolver.

unclebob
08-29-2010, 19:29

This will be apples and oranges but which has the best preformance in the 185gr and 200gr bullet the 45gap or 40s&w.

No,The wall of the case gets thicker on a acp case.

jmorris
08-29-2010, 19:29

GAP was designed to run at higher pressures. You might get away with down loads but why fool around with it?

win
08-29-2010, 19:36
10-4.

chris in va
08-30-2010, 01:26
On a side note, after having loaded about 3000 rounds of 45acp so far, the 45GAP really does make sense. There is just so much extra space left over in the case with ACP. Grips could be so much more ergonomic if the round was shorter.

win
08-30-2010, 06:04
a stupid question but can the g38 use the g37 mag?
thanks

unclebob
08-30-2010, 06:22
a stupid question but can the g38 use the g37 mag?
thanks
Yes. That is what I use for my carry spare.
Just like with a G26 you can use G19, or G17 mags. Same with the G27 you can use G23 or G22 mags.

Firecop203
08-30-2010, 20:11
No,The wall of the case gets thicker on a acp case.

Actually, it's the other way around. The GAP cases are thicker at the base.

I wish we could cut the ACP brass down. It would make things quite a bit simpler.

unclebob
08-30-2010, 20:20
Actually, it's the other way around. The GAP cases are thicker at the base.

I wish we could cut the ACP brass down. It would make things quite a bit simpler.

That is what I was implying. I do not believe there is a case out there that the wall is thicker at the mouth and gets smaller at the base.

win
09-11-2010, 20:14
Do any of you shoot lead out of your gap?
I know it is not recomended. I shoot my lead reloads in my glocks. I just clean the barrel every 40-50 rounds.
My 37 will be here in a week or so. My brass will be here early this week. I wanted load up some ammo so I can shoot it when it comes in. thanks again

VN350X10
09-11-2010, 20:47
The biggest reason not to use ACP brass trimmed down for GaP is that the lg. primers cause pressure spikes & over-ignite certain powders. That's why the gap went to small primers.
The very first .40S&W cases also had lg. primers, went to small for the same reason. Hence, no cutting down of 10MM brass to .40
Also, with 185 or 200 gr, the gap is equivilant to an ACP, but running at higher pressures. It doesn't have the case volume for the powder to push a 230 gr at an equal velocity.
It's really a ctg. looking for a reason to exist. The only real reason I can see for it would be USPSA production division, where everything scores as a "minor" caliber. There are times that a larger bullet diameyter can give you an "A" zone hit instead of a "C" zone. All "A" hits score as 5 points, no matter if major or minor, but the other scoring zones lose value for a minor caliber. So basicly, it makes a scoring zone on the target bigger.
Way too hard to find brass for in my opinion.

uncle albert

TACC GLOCK
09-11-2010, 20:50
Tagged.....

unclebob
09-11-2010, 20:51
Do any of you shoot lead out of your gap?
I know it is not recomended. I shoot my lead reloads in my glocks. I just clean the barrel every 40-50 rounds.
My 37 will be here in a week or so. My brass will be here early this week. I wanted load up some ammo so I can shoot it when it comes in. thanks again

No I don't shoot any lead out of any of my Glocks.

unclebob
09-11-2010, 20:54
The biggest reason not to use ACP brass trimmed down for GaP is that the lg. primers cause pressure spikes & over-ignite certain powders. That's why the gap went to small primers.
The very first .40S&W cases also had lg. primers, went to small for the same reason. Hence, no cutting down of 10MM brass to .40
Also, with 185 or 200 gr, the gap is equivilant to an ACP, but running at higher pressures. It doesn't have the case volume for the powder to push a 230 gr at an equal velocity.
It's really a ctg. looking for a reason to exist. The only real reason I can see for it would be USPSA production division, where everything scores as a "minor" caliber. There are times that a larger bullet diameyter can give you an "A" zone hit instead of a "C" zone. All "A" hits score as 5 points, no matter if major or minor, but the other scoring zones lose value for a minor caliber. So basicly, it makes a scoring zone on the target bigger.
Way too hard to find brass for in my opinion.

uncle albert

The biggest reason is because the inside wall of the 45 gets thicker as it goes towards the web.

VN350X10
09-11-2010, 21:51
unclebob,
VERY good point on why NOT to load 230's in gap ! can't hold OAL

uncle albert

freakshow10mm
09-11-2010, 22:57
The .45 Gay Ass Pistol is an efficient cartridge for light to medium bullets. Like has been stated above, 230gr is .45 Awesome Competition Pistol territory.

Allegedly the two are ballistic twins for 185 and 200 grain bullets, but the Gay Ass Pistol operates at higher pressure than the Awesome Competition Pistol due to the fact when you smoosh tall things it gets shorter and pressure builds.

This is why shorter people are fat. All that pressure has to go somewhere, so it bulges the skin out. Kind of like a Glock barrel, only KKM Precision can't fit that kind of guppy belly. Usually the Lee FCD will squeeze the tubby out of it, but then it's undersize and will cause additional problems for Steve.

Longshot works well in the .45 Gay Ass Pistol, but not so much in the .45 Awesome Competition Pistol unless you are running plus peni5 loads.

This concludes the presentation on how awesome I am and why your daughter should date me.:wavey:

HarveyatPC
09-12-2010, 01:17
FHP has G 37 now. So just be friendly with an officer, they will have lots of brass!!!!

Bello
09-12-2010, 04:13
The .45 Gay Ass Pistol is an efficient cartridge for light to medium bullets. Like has been stated above, 230gr is .45 Awesome Competition Pistol territory.

Allegedly the two are ballistic twins for 185 and 200 grain bullets, but the Gay Ass Pistol operates at higher pressure than the Awesome Competition Pistol due to the fact when you smoosh tall things it gets shorter and pressure builds.

This is why shorter people are fat. All that pressure has to go somewhere, so it bulges the skin out. Kind of like a Glock barrel, only KKM Precision can't fit that kind of guppy belly. Usually the Lee FCD will squeeze the tubby out of it, but then it's undersize and will cause additional problems for Steve.

Longshot works well in the .45 Gay Ass Pistol, but not so much in the .45 Awesome Competition Pistol unless you are running plus peni5 loads.

This concludes the presentation on how awesome I am and why your daughter should date me.:wavey:

what a ********* post!

unclebob
09-12-2010, 05:00
unclebob,
VERY good point on why NOT to load 230's in gap ! can't hold OAL

uncle albert

Also why you can't trim 45acp brass for gap. Some people have loaded 230 gr. bullets in the gap but the gap is better with 185-200 gr bullets. I don't care for the 230 in the 45acp either.

gwalchmai
09-12-2010, 06:12

This concludes the presentation on how awesome I am and why your daughter should date me.:wavey:Funny stuff. I have some GAP brass if anyone wants to trade me manly .45 brass for it (and pay the shipping... ;))

Hoser
09-12-2010, 06:27
I just picked up 6K once fired brass for a smoking deal.

Now to order two 1911 barrels and a bunch of moonclips in GAP.

MrVvrroomm
09-12-2010, 07:17
I reload all of my own .45 GAP. It's very straight-forward, as is .45 ACP. I use mostly 185 & 200 gr projectiles, although I've stuff some of them with 230 gr with satisfactory results.

fasteddie565
09-12-2010, 07:26

45 wasted seconds of my life I can never reclaim, Sigh........

freakshow10mm
09-12-2010, 09:29
what a ********* post!
Lighten up. It's a joke.:tongueout:

dbarry
09-12-2010, 09:50
what a ********* post!

+1 on that Bello...

gwalchmai
09-12-2010, 10:55
Lighten up. It's a joke.:tongueout:Looks like BGH needs to add that "first six month read-only" rule. ;)

These new guys have trouble recognizing humor.

freakshow10mm
09-12-2010, 11:38
I gather that. Oh, well. At least you got the joke. :)

Hoser
09-12-2010, 18:56
These new guys have trouble recognizing humor.

So thats what you call it?

gwalchmai
09-12-2010, 20:00
So thats what you call it?Yes. You should look into it. It's a good way of preventing taking things like internet forums seriously.

Hoser
09-13-2010, 07:12
Yes. You should look into it. It's a good way of preventing taking things like internet forums seriously.

You do realize that the fate of the free world depends on what is posted here?

gwalchmai
09-13-2010, 07:17
You do realize that the fate of the free world depends on what is posted here?Of course. That's why the Aldabarainians infused Ogg the Caveman with a rudimentary humor processor in his DNA - so he could eventually deal with the complex issues of internet forums and thermonuclear war without going insane.

GioaJack
09-13-2010, 08:50
Of course. That's why the Aldabarainians infused Ogg the Caveman with a rudimentary humor processor in his DNA - so he could eventually deal with the complex issues of internet forums and thermonuclear war without going insane.

Apparently I woke up too early... where's my coffee?

Jack