Golden Saber load data [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Golden Saber load data

supercrew
08-29-2010, 19:43
I'm looking for info on load data for GS 124gr in 9mm. Hopefully for a few different powders and OAL.

Would loads for any 124gr JHP be close?

Boxerglocker
08-29-2010, 20:05
I'm looking for info on load data for GS 124gr in 9mm. Hopefully for a few different powders and OAL.

Yes, all published JHP loads will be appropriate. Start at the minimums and work up, watch for pressure signs and chrono testing is in order if you have one available.

D. Manley
08-29-2010, 21:25

Remington GS bullets can be a bit tricky on OAL due to their unique shape. I don't use them but most folks that do recommend seating them to put the top of the "driving band" very close to flush with the case mouth.

rg1
08-29-2010, 23:59
Factory 124 Golden Saber 9MM overall length is 1.120" to 1.125". It will vary a little due to the irregular hollowpoint tip shape. The driving band will be just inside the case mouth. Lightly taper crimp just to remove belling. I've only used Unique powder with CCI SP primers. A load of Unique at 4.8 grains will cycle your pistol but is mild. I like 5.2 grains of Unique with 124 GS's and I wouldn't go above 5.4 grains. 5.2 grains I think is safe with any primer or case. I've seen it posted that it takes approximately .2(two tenths of a grain) more powder to equal pressure-velocity of same weight copper jacketed bullets. Shorter overall length increases pressure fast. Watch your cases, primers, ejection pattern, and distance your pistol throws a case compared to factory 124 grains. Just for reference, 5.0 grains of Unique gets to approximately 1050 fps in a G19 with CCI 500 primers in Winchester cases. The Golden Saber design creates less pressure than with same weight copper jacketed bullets. Start low and work up.

supercrew
08-30-2010, 12:38
Thanks guys for the input.

My Speer manual shows the same data for Unique on regular JHP as rg1 gave for the GS 124gr, so I assume the data on any of the powders would be comparable and could be used. I've got some Unique but it is older than dirt. I've used it in some .357" and it still appears to be OK. The Speer data also gives info for WW231 which I have ton of and would like to try. If in fact all the 124gr JHP loads should work then that might be a powder worth considering.

I am assuming the "driving band" is all the area between what looks like a small cannelure and the base of the bullet?? The bullet measures about .006 less in front of the grove in relation to behind it.

How is this bullet for personal defense use? The pictures I've seen looks like it expands well and should cycle through a G19 with issues.

fredj338
08-30-2010, 12:59
Remington GS bullets can be a bit tricky on OAL due to their unique shape. I don't use them but most folks that do recommend seating them to put the top of the "driving band" very close to flush with the case mouth.
I load them longer, to put the driving band at the case mouth. That & the short bearing surface means a bit more powder to get to the same vel as say an XTP.