Picked up an SKS! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Picked up an SKS!

LilWolfess
08-29-2010, 19:55
And I am actually pretty stoked about how nicely it shoots!

Two complaints are that it is heavy, and that despite being smaller sized in stock length, it is still just a touch too long for my diminutive size.

Pictures...ah geeze, I'm sure I'll get some up here at some point or another...

But it is a Norinco Chinese, it had a bayonet and a flash suppressor, and only one teeny spot of surface rust. I am a pretty happy customer.

And bayonets are just awesome anyways! :supergrin:

ranger1968
08-29-2010, 19:57
They are great rifles, lots of fun to shoot, and very sturdy.

Aquanewt
08-29-2010, 20:16
All kinds of places have replacement stocks available, although most are longer than stock. Possibly an adjustable by TAPCO may fit your needs.

ranger1968
08-29-2010, 20:18
Give this site a try, it's the best SKS/ Milsurp Board on the 'net.....

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php

sawgrass
08-29-2010, 20:45
Congrats!! I'm not very tall and I shoot mine from the bench.
It isn't bad. Happy Shooting!

LilWolfess
08-29-2010, 20:48
Give this site a try, it's the best SKS/ Milsurp Board on the 'net.....

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php

Thanks for the link!

Off the bench, this would be a superbly fun shooter (especially since I enjoy bench shooting).

chris in va
08-30-2010, 01:09
My friend keeps reminding me the SKS I had was her favorite rifle and needles me for selling it. Nevermind that I bought a Saiga conversion with the proceeds, but oh well.

LilWolfess
08-30-2010, 19:19
Her fault for not buying it from you possibly?

WWJGD
08-30-2010, 22:01
Very nice... I've been considering one myself. :wavey:

ShakyDave
09-07-2010, 16:37
Congratulations on your SKS - those are really neat little guns. My son bought one as a teenager at a gunshow (Chinese model) and I've shot it quite a bit. They are accurate, cheap to shoot, and indestructible.

You might want to have a gunsmith take a look at the trigger sear. The SKS was produced with a military trigger having about a 1000 lb pull, and to hit the US sport shooting market they had all those unemployed Chinese guys take a file to the sear and hammer claw to lighten the pull. Quite a few of those guys with the files didn't know any more about gunsmithing than my grandmother knew about quantum physics, and the result was that in some instances the hammer surface was angled, which makes those models prone to going runaway full auto, getting away from the shooter, and causing a pretty bad accident. It's easy to check and cheap to fix.

The other thing is that my son ordered a plastic stock assembly and slapped it on, and the rifle weighs about two pounds less and is a WHOLE lot better looking.

mike28w
09-10-2010, 20:47
And I am actually pretty stoked about how nicely it shoots!

Two complaints are that it is heavy, and that despite being smaller sized in stock length, it is still just a touch too long for my diminutive size........

:supergrin:

I'm a 5'3" male and share your taste in light guns.... I've gone through a couple a SKS's but really like my Norinco Paratrooper SKS. It's maybe a little lighter but most importantly , it's shorter. The balance (for me) is much better. I'm not suggesting that you sell your's, but if you ever get a chance to hold a Paratrooper, you might give it a try !

I can't imagine ever getting rid of my SKS..... best bang for the buck in centerfire rifles that I can find !! I love the cheap ammo and low recoil...

Have fun..mike

Misty02
09-11-2010, 16:11
Congratulations on your new acquisition, LilWolfess. Enjoy it! :wavey:

.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

MrsKitty
09-13-2010, 18:23
Very nice... I've been considering one myself. :wavey:

I want one, too... but there's not much I don't want. :embarassed:

soldier615
09-16-2010, 21:34
Mrs. Soldier here. I have an SKS and an AK. The AK has the Tapco T6 stock, and it does fit me great. I haven't shot the SKS much, but I found with my Norinco that my shooting hand (right handed) will hit me in the mouth because of the size of the stock. A T6 will eliminate that as well due to the pistol grip. Enjoy and congrats!