Question about steel sights [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question about steel sights

vram74
08-29-2010, 19:56
I took a trip to Smyrna last week and had steel sights installed on my 3rd Gen G19. While field stripping it today for cleaning, I noticed the front sight isn't held in with a screw like the original plastic sight. I thought Glock did away with the old stake-in sights? Don't get me wrong, the sights look fine but I've heard these stake-on type are prone to coming loose, hence why they were discontinued.

vis35
08-29-2010, 20:47
I never had any I installed come off but I did have some folks claim to have had problems with them that others installed. You probably won’t have any trouble with them.

vram74
08-29-2010, 20:51
I assume that if this sight does come loose I can order a screw-on type and it still work, correct?

Butch
08-29-2010, 20:54
Yeah, I doubt it was near the problem that a lot of folks think it was.

On the other hand, if it's *your* front sight that came loose, it's a problem! :)

Butch
08-29-2010, 20:54
I assume that if this sight does come loose I can order a screw-on type and it still work, correct?
Yup.

Or, you could just send your slide to them to take care of it.

vis35
08-29-2010, 20:56
Sure, if a steel screw on sight is available. Your slide has not been modified, it is un-changed. I have steel sights in stock that I received from Glock last year, I think they are screw on fronts but I am not sure, they are at the shop and I can’t check right now, I’m at home.

duncan
08-29-2010, 21:25
All of my CCW Glocks run front sights with a huge screw and loctite anchoring them on:

http://media.midwayusa.com/ProductImages/Large/318138.jpg

http://media.midwayusa.com/ProductImages/Large/709794.jpg

vram74
08-30-2010, 05:06
Must've been some old sights they were trying to get rid of. I'll probably just order a screw-on version and keep it tucked away in case something happens. Still kind of annoying they did that considering I drove over 100 miles just to see'em :dunno:

DannyR
08-30-2010, 05:14
I've never seen a factory pinned front sight come loose. I have lost a Heinie front sight, properly secured with red locktite because oil on the barrel had migrated to the screw and broke down the locktite. You are better off worrying whether or not the World will end in December 2012.

bentbiker
08-30-2010, 11:24
Still kind of annoying they did that considering I drove over 100 miles just to see 'em :dunno:
Maybe they didn't have any of the screw-on type in stock and knew you wanted to wait. Call and tell them of your disappointment and they may send you a replacement. I think the advantage of the screw-on type is the easy movement from gun to gun and knowing it can be secured by the owner on a subsequent gun.

Butch
08-30-2010, 11:52
Must've been some old sights they were trying to get rid of. I'll probably just order a screw-on version and keep it tucked away in case something happens.
That works.

Still kind of annoying they did that considering I drove over 100 miles just to see'em :dunno:
No need to be annoyed, there's a lot of Glocks in service with front sights staked on that are working just fine, and there have also been a lot of screw on front sights that have come loose.....off even.

Don't worry....go shoot!

vram74
08-30-2010, 16:31
Yeah, you're right :cool: