Mossberg SPX question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg SPX question

JTB
08-29-2010, 21:37
OK I own one and last time I used it it hold and feed all seven from the magazine. When to use it today and if I put more then 3 shells in the magazine, nothing feeds. any ideas folks?
Thanks

Glocker08
08-29-2010, 22:48
OK I own one and last time I used it it hold and feed all seven from the magazine. When to use it today and if I put more then 3 shells in the magazine, nothing feeds. any ideas folks?
Thanks

I don't own a Mossy SPX, but my first guess would be something is going on with the mag spring. Maybe its getting hung up on something or maybe you need to replace it with a stronger spring. This is just a guess of course.

Also, were you using the same type of ammo each time ? If it was different, maybe thats got something to do with it.

At any rate, let us know when you figure out what it is.

JTB
08-29-2010, 23:09
Thanks, It was the same ammo

mixflip
08-30-2010, 01:51
Most folks ignore or forget to properly clean their SPX before breaking it in but I dont think thats the problem. It sounds like the spring or follower is getting hung up somewhere? Possibly the interface inside where the mag extension meets the magazine?

If its brand new. Clean it. lube it properly. Try and use a few boxes of 00 buck and that should break it in fairly well? I did it this way and have been popping off cheap lowbrass WalMart birdshot ever since with zero malfunctions ever since day one.

F_G
08-30-2010, 07:21
I had the same problem occassionally with mine. It was the follower hanging up on the transition from the mag tube to the extension tube. I took a fine file and beveled the edges of the follower (the factory follower has very sharp edges) and with a round file chamfered the tube and extension. I have since had no more issues.

skynyrd1911
08-30-2010, 08:15
I've never had a problem with mine. Cleaned & lubricated first thing out of the box. Ran a couple of boxes of slugs and buckshot through it and then about 50 rounds of cheap birdshot. No issues whatsoever. Last time out 1 box of slugs and 25 rounds of birdshot, no problem. That being said, I've only run about 100 rounds through it total. Excellent shotgun for the money.

JTB
08-30-2010, 09:57
I had the same problem occassionally with mine. It was the follower hanging up on the transition from the mag tube to the extension tube. I took a fine file and beveled the edges of the follower (the factory follower has very sharp edges) and with a round file chamfered the tube and extension. I have since had no more issues.

Thanks, I have had it a couple of years so maybe it it the follower. I was think of getting a Choato spring and follower

DFin
08-30-2010, 10:11
Don't they come with Choate followers? The mag extensions are made by Choate.

JTB
08-30-2010, 10:52
The follower is just a cheap piece of metal, best I can tell, the Choate are orange.