Are Canadian geese good eating? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Are Canadian geese good eating?

bassman-dan
08-30-2010, 09:57
Many years ago I was told that Canadian geese are not very good as table fare.
I don't know if that person knew what they were talking about or if he was just a bad cook.
If you have had good results at cooking them, what is your preference- roasted, baked, etc?

IndyGunFreak
08-30-2010, 11:42
I dunno, but Googling "Canadian Geese recipes" turns up a lot of hits.

bassman-dan
08-30-2010, 12:00
That is what i did. Almost all of the recipes I have found call for skinning out the breast and using a marinade to remove the "gamy" flavor. That would seem to indicate a poor quality meat.
Just wanted to confirm my suspicions.

pesticidal
08-30-2010, 12:03
I don't eat them, but up here if you refer to them as Canadian Geese instead of the proper term of Canada Goose, it's almost like the Magazine/Clip chastisement.

:rofl:

vafish
08-30-2010, 12:23
I've eaten them. Dark meat, but didn't taste bad.

Jeff82
08-30-2010, 12:37
I don't eat them, but up here if you refer to them as Canadian Geese instead of the proper term of Canada Goose, it's almost like the Magazine/Clip chastisement.

:rofl:

I was gonna say, "what are you doing, checking their passports?!"

1 old 0311
08-30-2010, 16:27
That is what i did. Almost all of the recipes I have found call for skinning out the breast and using a marinade to remove the "gamy" flavor. That would seem to indicate a poor quality meat.
Just wanted to confirm my suspicions.

I have a friend who eats a lot of Geese and he said the breast, soaked overnight in salt water, is the ONLY good part..........and he will eat ANYTHING he shoots.

jjsobba
08-30-2010, 17:04
The best recipe I know is put it with onions, carrots, potatoes and salt and pepper in a pot and bake it. When it is done throw the goose away and eat the rest.:cool: That is why I don't goose hunt. My brother does make i into jerky and that isn't too bad.

Big Bird
08-30-2010, 18:10
It depends on where you shoot them and when. I try to go to Manitoba in October for early goose season and they geese I shoot up there are wonderful. But as the season moves on and the geese migrate south I've found they get tougher and the meat tastes stronger.

Now speckled belly geese (or Specks) are called the filet mignon of geese for good reason--the meat from a Speck is truly a delicacy.

My favorite waterfowl meat remains Teal...blue or green wing teal. The tender morsels of breast meat from teal are my downright fabulous! I love early duck season because the teal are so plentiful! They are also the coolest birds to decoy in. Not only do they provide some of the most challenging wingshooting in the world they also make a really cool whooshing noise coming in to the dekes!

bassman-dan
08-31-2010, 11:21
up here if you refer to them as Canadian Geese instead of the proper term of Canada Goose

Sorry, I didn't know. We have only snows & specks down here.
I will be in Oklahoma in a couple of weeks where they will be having a management hunt for resident birds that are getting too numerous.
Since I have never shot one, I thought I might give it a try.

pesticidal
08-31-2010, 11:28
Sorry, I didn't know. We have only snows & specks down here.
I will be in Oklahoma in a couple of weeks where they will be having a management hunt for resident birds that are getting too numerous.
Since I have never shot one, I thought I might give it a try.

No need to apologize to me. I say Canadian Geese and clips just to agitate people.

:supergrin:

rfb45colt
09-01-2010, 19:02
Young geese can be very tender and tasty. Older geese can be tougher than the soles of my old work boots. I eat them all, whatever the age, and marinating, then cooking in a slow cooker with some veggies & onions, and even the tuff old birds become tender. If I'm gonna kill 'em, I'm gonna eat 'em. The only thing I shoot that I don't eat is vermin... ya know, stuff like yotes, skunks, and Democrats. :tongueout:

Dennis in MA
09-02-2010, 09:08
They eat plenty around here. Grrrrr.

In fact, we've got a pile of them that have gone from being in the genus Canada Geese and into the genus Taunton Geese. F'ers never leave the industrial parks and semi-urban areas. Good forage, I guess. About one a week gets smacked by a semi in the park.

bmylesk
09-02-2010, 09:13
try American, not big on Canadians. these are very patriotic times. :rofl:

bassman-dan
09-02-2010, 09:49
The only thing I shoot that I don't eat is vermin... ya know, stuff like yotes, skunks, and Democrats. :tongueout:

Dang! I didn't know you had a season on dimmocrats in Wisconsin.
Rumor has it that they are pretty abundant in those parts. If they tasted good in a gumbo, I could probably round up a pretty sizable crew to help you out with that hunt.:rofl:

ebm1973
09-09-2010, 16:57
Duck is way better, IMO.

I cooked a Canadian goose for Christmas a few years back and for such a big bird, it had little meat and was greasy.

Almost any other bird is better - Cornish game hen, chukker, pheasant, etc.

:tree:

TScottW99
09-09-2010, 20:55
My friends and I love to hunt geese but we really had a time trying to figure out how to eat them. My best friend got one of the big dehydrators and I bought him a book of jerky recipes. :supergrin: He brought out a batch last week to a dove hunt and it was awesome!

I have eaten way too much of it this week. Even went out on a goose hunt and killed several more for more jerky :supergrin:

bustedknee
09-12-2010, 13:21
I don't eat them, but up here if you refer to them as Canadian Geese instead of the proper term of Canada Goose, it's almost like the Magazine/Clip chastisement. :rofl:

I say "canadadian gooses". I get lots looks but no comments.

Over the years, I killed several, on an island in Alaska. Nasty, nasty, nasty, but fun to hunt.

I had to wear rubber gloves (after the first one I figured that out) to keep that stink off me. I cooked them several different ways and they were all tough and tasted awful.

There were no crops and no berries around for them to eat. I suspect they were filling up on rabbit poop.

I made the comment I would never shoot another one. A fellow I worked with went into a long speech about he knew how to cook 'em.
So I shot one, he traded me a Hershy bar for it.

He never asked for another goose. I sure would like to have some more of them Hershey bars.

ctaggart
09-19-2010, 23:11
I've cooked and eaten canadian goose with excellent results. Here's how.

First, when you clean the bird you must remove all of the fat. This is the most important part. The fat is what smells and tastes so bad. Most guys will just breast out their birds but i've found that as long as the fat is removed, the legs are just as good. You may want to bone them out though. Take your cleaned up breasts and legs and throw them in the crock pot. Cover the meat entirely with cream of mushroom soup. Cook slowly until the meat shreds like a beef roast. It will have the same texture of beef roast and I think a similar flavor too. Once it is finished cooking, let it sit in the crock. Cook some egg noodles. You will shred the meat and cover your noodles with the meat and cream of mushroom. Delicious.