Glock 19 - What ammo is best against Black Bear? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock 19 - What ammo is best against Black Bear?

glockingdude
08-30-2010, 10:11
Hi, I am going hunting this fall for deer, and I am bringing a Glock 19 as backup against the possibility of a black bear attack. Now, I clearly know that a 9mm is not the best caliber, but right now it is all I have.
What is the best ammo to use? CorBon 115gn HP with 460 ftlbs of energy, or FMJs NATO with I think about 370 FtLbs of energy. Thanks!

Strahley
08-30-2010, 10:17
I'd get the nastiest stuff you can find (Buffalo Bore perhaps?) and pray you don't run across one with a G19 as your only backup plan

Lethaltxn
08-30-2010, 10:21
See if you have a family member or close friend who can lend you a 44 mag or better revolver.

nastytrigger
08-30-2010, 10:27
A Glock 19 is better than nothing, but even my .45 wouldn't be enough to stop a bear. 10mm is close, but you really need a large bore revolver (.44, .454, etc). 9mm would probably bounce off the bears skull... A open mouth shot may work, but I'm not willing to wait for the opportunity. A shotgun with slugs would be okay too.

Strahley
08-30-2010, 10:33
12ga slugs are a lot more than just "ok" against a bear

whatsupglock
08-30-2010, 10:34
Save your money and buy winchester white box at walmart. I don't think the round is going to matter much in the off chance you have to defend yourself from a bear.

In all fairness, I would pack the 19 with a +p speer gold dot and hope for the best.

plasticpistol
08-30-2010, 10:42
pm sent

BikeNGun
08-30-2010, 10:45
Do they make explosive rounds for 9mm?

hdman30
08-30-2010, 11:13
I'd say any decent HP would work....on you. God knows you'll want to end your agony as you are being devoured by the bear!

rohanreginald
08-30-2010, 11:19
Don't forget to remove the front sight if you are going to shoot a bear with 9mm.

rohanreginald
08-30-2010, 11:21
double post

firefighter4215
08-30-2010, 11:24
If FMJ's are legal to carry while you're hunting in your state, I'd go with that in at least 125 gr, maybe even 147 for penetration, and hope for the best. I don't know that any JHP would penetrate enough to do much good. I'm assuming you're talking about bowhunting, otherwise whatever firearm you're using for deer would also work on a black bear.

ETA: I said that about the legality of having FMJ's while you're hunting because I thought I'd read in the 2010-11 KY Hunting & Trapping Guide that you couldn't have any FMJ ammo while you were hunting. I could be wrong. We all know that crazy hunting laws exist in a lot of states though...

drc767
08-30-2010, 11:27
Whatever 9mm round you end up deciding on, save one for yourself when that really pissed off black bear finally gets to you. It will save you from having to witness yourself taking the ass whoopin' of a lifetime....:)

Z71bill
08-30-2010, 11:30
What are you using to shoot the deer?

Maybe this for your 9MM

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_37&products_id=268&osCsid=2a190f408f196c184e9a45fcf445fafb

WHEC724
08-30-2010, 11:31
Whatever 9mm round you end up deciding on, save one for yourself when that really pissed off black bear finally gets to you. It will save you from having to witness yourself taking the ass whoopin' of a lifetime....:)

Sad but true. I'm afraid those 9mm's are gonna feel like bee-stings on a bear.

beefcakeb0
08-30-2010, 11:46
A Glock 19 is better than nothing, but even my .45 wouldn't be enough to stop a bear. 10mm is close, but you really need a large bore revolver (.44, .454, etc). 9mm would probably bounce off the bears skull... A open mouth shot may work, but I'm not willing to wait for the opportunity. A shotgun with slugs would be okay too.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/31/backpackper-shoots-kills-grizzly-alaska-park/

Don't be so sure...:P

I also prefer slugs.

FireMedicKeith
08-30-2010, 11:48
Doesn't matter what you use. It is all about shot placement!

cowboy1964
08-30-2010, 11:50
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/31/backpackper-shoots-kills-grizzly-alaska-park/

I wonder if that guy has started carrying something larger now?

Cineski
08-30-2010, 11:56
Why? It worked :whistling:

I wonder if that guy has started carrying something larger now?

plasticpistol
08-30-2010, 11:58
wonder how big it was

KillStick
08-30-2010, 12:03
Something in FMJ, that buffalo bore may be the ticket. I would see if you could take a shotgun with slugs if not I think Buffalo bore may be the best option.

platoonDaddy
08-30-2010, 12:05
.44 mag

Sept American Hunter

The following is a quote from a Fish & Wildlife Biologist about a geologist who was attached twice by the same grizzly:

He should have been packng a more powerful gun. You have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 mag.

TxGun
08-30-2010, 12:09

I also prefer slugs.

Hell of a lot of difference between a black bear and a Grizzly. Yes, a black bear can be dangerous, and they do attack people. But they generally lack the aggressive temperment of a Grizzly (and the brown bears of the Alaskan coast which are noting more than coastal Grizzlies). Blacks typically must be provoked or feel cornered. Hell, I've twice run black bears out of New Mexico camps where they were after my food....with rocks. Had the truck handy to jump into, but didn't need it. They hauled ***. Cubs involved...probably different.

bentbiker
08-30-2010, 12:10
OP asked about black bears. See http://glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15601624&postcount=18 .

goldwing1555
08-30-2010, 12:13
just shoot yourself in the head and save yourself the pain.

JASV.17
08-30-2010, 12:14
See if you have a family member or close friend who can't run faster than you.

Fixed.

guns54
08-30-2010, 12:15
I hope you dont run into one, but if you do ,and 14rds didnt stop him, you do know what to do with your last rd Right. Good Luck.

guns54
08-30-2010, 12:18
just shoot yourself in the head and save yourself the pain.beat me to it.i just posted under you.

hardcorp
08-30-2010, 12:19
What the heck kind of bears you guys talking about here, armor plated?

Any reasonable caliber will stop a bear I have seen a sow with cubs near by get turned around just by the sound of the shots.

When a bear charges at you it will do it on all fours and if you can knock that scull or even a shoulder a couple of times it will change its mind.

guns54
08-30-2010, 12:23

Any reasonable caliber will stop a bear I have seen a sow with cubs near by get turned around just by the sound of the shots.

When a bear charges at you it will do it on all fours and if you can knock that scull or even a shoulder a couple of times it will change its mind. What HE SAY.

shnifty
08-30-2010, 12:28

When a bear charges at you it will do it on all fours and if you can knock that scull or even a shoulder a couple of times it will change its mind.

THANK YOU! These are Black bears we're talking about.... I'd be willing to go against your average black bear with a knife.

ChuteTheMall
08-30-2010, 12:30
I just distract them with a picnic basket.

matthomas7
08-30-2010, 12:31

Not really... Follow me on this. He fired (important to note that's not *hit,* although could be) 9 rounds from a .45-- substantially harder hitting than a 9mm.

At which point the bear then walked/ran another 100 feet before dying, which was most likely preceded by deliberately laying down and bleeding out for a period of time.

Point is, if the bear cared to, he had plenty of energy to rush the guy and give him at least one good strike with his claw. (Also important, this case was a Grizzly, and not a Black Bear.)

Most animals, including bears, are afraid of us, generally more then we are of them. But... it ain't worth the risk that that bear isn't feeling particularly feisty that day.

TACC GLOCK
08-30-2010, 12:34
A G19 is just going to pi$$ him off.

Bring a 10 MM

WHEC724
08-30-2010, 12:36

We have a winner!

rohanreginald
08-30-2010, 12:37
A G19 is just going to pi$$ him off.

Bring a 10 MM

Exactly. This is why if you carry a 9mm in the woods you remove the front sight post. That way it will hurt less when the bear shoves it up and you pull it out of your own arse.

vtbluegrass
08-30-2010, 12:37
Black bears by and large are pansies. If you encounter one will walking around hunting the first thing you wil notice is it going away from you in fast as it can. A good yell will get any that are standing around to move on. Black bears are generally only dangerous when they come into camp site at night and get startled by the people there or when cubs are involved and even then they can be deterred fairly swiftly.

If you are hunting will you not have a weapon with you anyhow that is far more capable of taking down a bear. Even a bow.

I guess the short answer is yes a 9mm is enough to deter. I would go with a bonded +p hollow point 124gr same as I do any other time I am carrying.

striker6126
08-30-2010, 12:39

This is what I was thinking

125gr muzzy broadheads is the only thing I have ever used against black bears.

vtbluegrass
08-30-2010, 12:40
Man if people at the office would stop bothering me with work while I am trying to post of GT maybe I could spell or use proper grammar.

stevil
08-30-2010, 12:42
hahahah!!!

:stooges:

Careby
08-30-2010, 12:47
...These are Black bears we're talking about.... I'd be willing to go against your average black bear with a knife.

Hmmm, now I'm wondering if there is a venue where this event could be organized and promoted... Preferably one where gambling is legal. Not that I don't think you'll win, but I do think it would be entertaining and I'd definitely pay to see it.

I do think the risk of black bear attack is so minimal as to not require any special precautions other than those already taken for other potential threats. If I worried about it I'd probably carry bear spray.

guns54
08-30-2010, 12:52
THANK YOU! These are Black bears we're talking about.... I'd be willing to go against your average black bear with a knife.Stop watching TV. JUST JOKING . Not me.

NHmike
08-30-2010, 12:53
G19 is better than nothing. But if you HAVE to bring the G19, just take off the front site!!

That way it will hurt less when that bear jams it up your *****!!!!!

Anyways, good luck hunting!

soflasmg
08-30-2010, 13:03
I used to spend time in blackie country and carried a g19 with Hirtenberg L7A1 subgun ammo.

It's +P+ and hotter than hell. I was hoping for penetration if'n I needed to bust a cap or 2 in Yogi.

sigchaser723
08-30-2010, 13:04
See if you have a family member or close friend who can lend you a 44 mag or better revolver.
+1 the 9mm is not likely to do anything more then piss a bear off.

Bilbo Bagins
08-30-2010, 13:08
Black bears by and large are pansies. If you encounter one will walking around hunting the first thing you wil notice is it going away from you in fast as it can. A good yell will get any that are standing around to move on. Black bears are generally only dangerous when they come into camp site at night and get startled by the people there or when cubs are involved and even then they can be deterred fairly swiftly.

If you are hunting will you not have a weapon with you anyhow that is far more capable of taking down a bear. Even a bow.

I guess the short answer is yes a 9mm is enough to deter. I would go with a bonded +p hollow point 124gr same as I do any other time I am carrying.

This post is pretty good and almost 99% accurate. The only thing I disagree with is picking a hollow point for a thick shinned animal. I would go with the hottest FMJ you can find for deeper penetration.

To the OP, I posted a similar thread about .357 vs .45LC for black bear and got similar silly responses. You are not fighting a T-Rex or the Terminator. You should be able kill or at least dissuade a black bear with 15 rounds of 9mm. You cannot always bring a rifle, a shotgun, or a mega-revolver like the .500 S&W Magnum, every time you go into the woods. I think something like the Glock 19 will be more than useful protection against most animals, except for a maybe a moose or a grizzly, in the woods of the lower 48 states.

Sonnytoo
08-30-2010, 13:14

See if you have a family member or close friend who can ...store a copy of your will in his safe.
The only chance you have is to penetrate brain or spinal cord; otherwise the bear is likely to have you as lunch before he dies. And I don't think the 9mm is known as a penetrator, although Elmer Keith wrote about one guy on his pack train who took on a griz who was attacking the guy's dog and a horse on the pack train. The fellow emptied his German Luger into the griz and the bear rolled down the hill and into the river and wasn't seen again. Elmer figured that the 9mm hardball will penetrate, but of course then has no shock value.
Blacks are more aggressive than grizzlies and a griz is bad enuf.
Seriously, you have a chance of shooting the black and him running off to die somewhere, but if he came hunting you in the first place, it could be rough. I think you're seriously undergunned. You'd be further ahead with a double-bladed axe.
Sonnytoo

carbofan21
08-30-2010, 14:24
can of bear spray for yogi and booboo, and the g19 for the 2 leggers

bentbiker
08-30-2010, 14:24
Blacks are more aggressive than grizzlies and a griz is bad enuf.
Are you confusing a polar bear with a black?

08-30-2010, 14:51
If 9mm is all you have, I'd carry Double Tap 147 JHP or Corbon 147 JHP. I've shot a Blackbear with a 10mm and have finished off a Kodiak Brown Bear with a 45 Colt. I wonder how many posters on this thread have even seen a bear face to face let alone killed one. Always funny to read the silly "gun counter" type comments when it comes to the bear threads. Yes, get a bigger gun if you can. If not use the 9mm, it's better than a rock. And believe it or not a guy up here in Alaska have killed a Brown Bear (griz) on the Russian River with a 9mm because that's all he had. Good luck hunting, BTW.

cowboy1964
08-30-2010, 14:52

Don't you mean a pick-a-nic basket?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yogi_Bear

cowboy1964
08-30-2010, 14:54

A JHP won't do squat. At least use an FMJ in 9mm and you have a chance of hitting something vital.

cowboy1964
08-30-2010, 14:55

Bearly. Ha ha, get it?

Merkavaboy
08-30-2010, 15:50
I used to spend time in blackie country and carried a g19 with Hirtenberg L7A1 subgun ammo.

It's +P+ and hotter than hell. I was hoping for penetration if'n I needed to bust a cap or 2 in Yogi.

+1 on the Hirtenberger L7A1.

You're going to want penetration, so a JHP is out of the question. You'll want a mild steel jacketed bullet. A standard gilding metal jacket will deform too much when hitting the skull or heavy bone. A mild steel jacket will keep it's shape better. And you'll want a higher velocity for better penetration so a 147gr load should be avoided.

If L7A1 can't be obtained then I'd go with the Fiocchi 123FMJ even though this load doesn't have a steel jacketed bullet.

RichardB
08-30-2010, 16:48
Hi, I am going hunting this fall for deer, and I am bringing a Glock 19 as backup against the possibility of a black bear attack. .......

Why not use the same weapon you will be taking the deer with?

Duck of Death
08-30-2010, 17:39
If all I had was a 9mm and there was a threat of bears I'd stay out of the freaking woods.

Hell, I live where the griz play and I'm not comfortable w/a 454 Casull--350gr @ 1550 FPS delivering 1867 FP of muzzle energy.

I'd rather have my 358 Norma or a 12 gage.

crsuribe
08-30-2010, 17:55
Shoot whoever's with you in the knee and run away!

isis07734
08-30-2010, 18:16
haha,

awesome. get a .22 instead and make sure you get the whole thing on vid :)

M&P Shooter
08-30-2010, 18:17
If you get attacked by a bear and have a 9mm use it on yourself to save yourself a lot of pain. Now I would see if a friend or family member had something with some more power like a 357 magnum 6" or maybe 41 or 44 magnum:wavey:

vis35
08-30-2010, 22:42
Leave the Glock at home, what you need is…….
Attack Kitty!</EMBED></OBJECT>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57VbE0J9niw
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi7tN2rjQcc&feature=related</o:p>
<o:p>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehlPDVNbUio&feature=related</o:p>
<o:p>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOX4tgfDNIk&feature=related</o:p>
As you can see, Attack Kitty comes in several sizes and a selection of colors to go with any outfit!
Seriously, BLACK BEAR are not that hard to kill, no harder than people, use the same ammo that you would use for concealed carry, aim for his head. One bullet will enter his skull, scramble his brain and he will die. You have 15 chances and we are only talking about 10 to 20 feet away. BLACK BEAR are not armor plated nor are they demonic monsters. Bentbiker linked to an earlier post of mine on this subject where I went into way more detail, the information still applies.
Or I can loan you my cat to protect you.

Ak.Hiker
08-30-2010, 23:09
Use a hot FMJ load. The Fiocchi 115 grain FMJ is loaded like a +P and is pretty hot. Another option is the Double Tap 147 grain +P FMJ loaded with a Montana Gold FMJ flat point. The 9mm has a lot of penetration with hot FMJ's. Leave the HP's at home and go with FMJ's for deeper penetration. If for some reason you have to carry a JHP than I would go with a 115 grain Barnes X bullet load like the one put out by Cor Bon or Double Tap.

Brucev
08-30-2010, 23:11
Hi, I am going hunting this fall for deer, and I am bringing a Glock 19 as backup against the possibility of a black bear attack. Now, I clearly know that a 9mm is not the best caliber, but right now it is all I have.
What is the best ammo to use? CorBon 115gn HP with 460 ftlbs of energy, or FMJs NATO with I think about 370 FtLbs of energy. Thanks!

Black bears are not armor plated. Cannons are not needed to put them down and keep them down. They routinely fall down and die when shot with plebeian calibers such as the .30-30, etc. Some have eve been humiliated by falling down and dying after being shot with a lowly .357 Magnum. Your 19 will do fine with loaded with quality SD ammo. Personally I'd look at something loaded with a bonded 125 gr. JHP. This will give you plenty of penetration and expansion.

Iceman cHucK
08-31-2010, 14:53
Timmy Treadwell was probably carrying a 9mm. He became Fedwell to the Grizzlies :shocked:

Ak.Hiker
08-31-2010, 14:56
Timmy Treadwell was probably carrying a 9mm. He became Fedwell to the Grizzlies :shocked:

I think the most powerful weapon in his camp was a frying pan.

CanyonMan
08-31-2010, 19:23

LOL

Hey Chuckster old amigo ! Man I needed that ! I tell ya this has been one of the most amusing threads on GT I have seen in a while. Wrestling bears with a knife. 9mm's for bears, 115gr even ! Some "expert" over on General glocking said in responce to this type question... 'Don't even carry a handgun (the way he talked no gun at all) into bear country. He was a bear 'expert' of some kind. :whistling:

Man this is waaay to funny here. I ain't an expert at anything, but in 25 years of guiding hunts, I can tell you I would not even consider carring a 9mm into bear country. I am NOT worried about critter attacks of any kind and they rarely ever hapen. But they can, and do, from time to time. If a persons life or their family's life is not worth carring a little heavier firearm, then sorry, but they deserve what they get.

Someone on here mentioned firing at the bears feet ran it off. I agree. This "can be effective." BUT, if it did not work and the bruin comes charging you, You better have a caliber and bullet that is like a freight train on impact. This "I'll take on a bear with a knife stuff is hilarious to say the least." He may be a good bar brawler, but he will regret the day he trys to play Daniel Boone or Davy Crocket. :rofl:

A 10mm with 200gr Hard Cast ammo as in Buffalo Bore etc, is a real bottom line bear bones minimum (speaking here of "blackies only"). NO ONE is going to need a high cap mag, because you will never empty all those rounds in a charging bear. Someone here mentioned head shots. Fine if your hunting and can take the proper placement of the head, but you won't do that on a "surprise attack."

44mag, is a minimum, and 45LC is plenty enough with 300 +grs Hard Cast bullet. This will take even Brown bear. This will take any animal that walks the planet in a 335gr Hard cast bullet moving at minimum 1200fps.

It blows me away how folks ask these questions about what should I carry? Then when you tell them, thaey say things like, "wow That gun is to bulky, to heavy, kicks to much, a rifle/shotgun is inconvienent, to much trouble. On and on. Then there are the pepper spray folks. That is also hilarious.

If you do not make sure you are truly "up wind" of the surprise you from the brush charging bruin, then you will have a face full of mace ! Yogi will have a blast with you while you are blind and terrified !

It is really common sense. You want to live. Enjoy life and do not worry about critters eating you. But, just incase one decides you look good, or you frighten one in a way they turn on you, or just anything goes south for any reason as it can in the wild, and with wild animals, then have a caliber and sidearm big enough to at least make a dent. Better yet. With that side arm, carry a rifle or shotgun with slugs.

If you are to lazy or to proud to do this, (carry something decent) then you may be table fare. Goodbye! :wavey:

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/GT%20stuff/cid__1213091605.jpg

They (the bears) are waiting for the fool hearty ! Pride and tuff hide will not save your bacon if things go south..... Neither will a 9mm ! ;)

Stay safe boys

Give me a shout Iceman !

CanyonMan

foxhole18
08-31-2010, 19:32
this is what you do to live
1.) get two 30rd spare mags
2.) load up WINCHESTER NATO FMJ
3.) defend yourself by unleashing rapid hell fire

cadillacguns
09-01-2010, 03:17
I wouldn't even use a 9mm in Chicago against a homeboy in a #58 jersey, and those fire extinguisher pepper spray distractors, will only make you cry while being eaten, and you'll taste like right guard and tobassco sauce gravy to Yogi and Boo Boo.

crazyasian1
09-01-2010, 03:39
240 round drum mag?

vafish
09-01-2010, 08:26
44mag, is a minimum, and 45LC is plenty enough with 300 +grs Hard Cast bullet. This will take even Brown bear. This will take any animal that walks the planet in a 335gr Hard cast bullet moving at minimum 1200fps.

I'd put the .41 mag as the bear minimum.

And having actually shot a bear with a .44 magnum handgun, they still don't die fast until you put one in their brain.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/vafish/Hunting/bear.jpg

Iceman cHucK
09-01-2010, 09:14
LOL

Hey Chuckster old amigo ! Man I needed that ! I tell ya this has been one of the most amusing threads on GT I have seen in a while. Wrestling bears with a knife. 9mm's for bears, 115gr even ! Some "expert" over on General glocking said in responce to this type question... 'Don't even carry a handgun (the way he talked no gun at all) into bear country. He was a bear 'expert' of some kind. :whistling:

Man this is waaay to funny here. I ain't an expert at anything, but in 25 years of guiding hunts, I can tell you I would not even consider carring a 9mm into bear country. I am NOT worried about critter attacks of any kind and they rarely ever hapen. But they can, and do, from time to time. If a persons life or their family's life is not worth carring a little heavier firearm, then sorry, but they deserve what they get.

Someone on here mentioned firing at the bears feet ran it off. I agree. This "can be effective." BUT, if it did not work and the bruin comes charging you, You better have a caliber and bullet that is like a freight train on impact. This "I'll take on a bear with a knife stuff is hilarious to say the least." He may be a good bar brawler, but he will regret the day he trys to play Daniel Boone or Davy Crocket. :rofl:

A 10mm with 200gr Hard Cast ammo as in Buffalo Bore etc, is a real bottom line bear bones minimum (speaking here of "blackies only"). NO ONE is going to need a high cap mag, because you will never empty all those rounds in a charging bear. Someone here mentioned head shots. Fine if your hunting and can take the proper placement of the head, but you won't do that on a "surprise attack."

It blows me away how folks ask these questions about what should I carry? Then when you tell them, thaey say things like, "wow That gun is to bulky, to heavy, kicks to much, a rifle/shotgun is inconvienent, to much trouble. On and on. Then there are the pepper spray folks. That is also hilarious.

If you do not make sure you are truly "up wind" of the surprise you from the brush charging bruin, then you will have a face full of mace ! Yogi will have a blast with you while you are blind and terrified !

It is really common sense. You want to live. Enjoy life and do not worry about critters eating you. But, just incase one decides you look good, or you frighten one in a way they turn on you, or just anything goes south for any reason as it can in the wild, and with wild animals, then have a caliber and sidearm big enough to at least make a dent. Better yet. With that side arm, carry a rifle or shotgun with slugs.

If you are to lazy or to proud to do this, (carry something decent) then you may be table fare. Goodbye! :wavey:

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/GT%20stuff/cid__1213091605.jpg

They (the bears) are waiting for the fool hearty ! Pride and tuff hide will not save your bacon if things go south..... Neither will a 9mm ! ;)

Stay safe boys

Give me a shout Iceman !

CanyonMan

Has anyone heard of the Right to Arm Bears? They're packing heat. Just piss one off with a 9mm and you'll find out. And don't wipe Bear spray all over you like mosquito repellant thinking it will repell bears! no kidding, a guy did this! What he didn't know is that bears love that sweet smelling pepper spray! Ya can always tell where the big bears have been by that huge sweet smelling scat pile containing little bear bells and plastic shards of a Glock19 frame and shiny little 9mm pills!

Listen to CanyonMan. He's an expert Ole Fart (like me but not as old and good lookin) that knows Jack. What he didn't tell ya that in addition to a heavy 44 or 45 when hiking in Bear country, if ya wear a brightly colored TUTU, the four legged critters won't crowd yer space at all. Most, not all, two legged critters will scream and run interference for you. It's the other two legged critters that don't run that can be the problem. If they just stare and smile, watch your six pardner!:cool:

bdcremer
09-01-2010, 11:18
I would go for some 147 grain hot stuff from Buffalo Bore or Double Tap. I would even consider going with a FMj over a JHP for more penetration.

CanyonMan
09-01-2010, 12:52
I'd put the .41 mag as the bear minimum.And having actually shot a bear with a .44 magnum handgun, they still don't die fast until you put one in their brain.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/vafish/Hunting/bear.jpg

I forgot about that for the moment... I agree amigo. I like the 41 mag. Just that the 44mag is so much more available, I plumb forgot. Good round, especially for the reloader. ;)

Glad ya brought that up man !

Nice pic. I'll have to dig mine out and scan them in when I can...

Thanks vafish for the pic and the wisdom and reminder. ;)

Stay safe

CanyonMan

CanyonMan
09-01-2010, 13:36
Iceman cHucK;15910179Has anyone heard of the Right to Arm Bears? They're packing heat. Just piss one off with a 9mm and you'll find out. And don't wipe Bear spray all over you like mosquito repellant thinking it will repell bears! no kidding, a guy did this! What he didn't know is that bears love that sweet smelling pepper spray! Ya can always tell where the big bears have been by that huge sweet smelling scat pile containing little bear bells and plastic shards of a Glock19 frame and shiny little 9mm pills!

Listen to CanyonMan. He's an expert Ole Fart (like me but not as old and good lookin) that knows Jack. [B][COLOR="Blue"]What he didn't tell ya that in addition to a heavy 44 or 45 when hiking in Bear country, :if ya wear a brightly colored TUTU, the four legged critters won't crowd yer space at all. Most, not all, two legged critters will scream and run interference for you. It's the other two legged critters that don't run that can be the problem. If they just stare and smile, watch your six pardner! :cool:

Man oh man oh man ! Just when I thought it was safe to come out of Ballet Class ! :faint:

I cannot thank you enough for sharing this with the world Chuck, and after all I have done for you, teaching you to read and write ! Ok now Pard, I am only a visitor here, so now I am moving on and out. No behind the back punches amigo that would be to to much !

BTW. :tongueout:

Stay safe amigo...
Back to the emails Please ! ha

CanyonMan

Bilbo Bagins
09-01-2010, 14:06
Don't you mean a pick-a-nic basket?

Hey on a side note, they are coming out with a NEW Yogi Bear live action movie???? :shocked:

http://www.shockya.com/news/wp-content/uploads/yogi_bear_movie_poster.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1302067/

vafish
09-01-2010, 15:32
I forgot about that for the moment... I agree amigo. I like the 41 mag. Just that the 44mag is so much more available, I plumb forgot. Good round, especially for the reloader. ;)

Glad ya brought that up man !

Nice pic. I'll have to dig mine out and scan them in when I can...

Thanks vafish for the pic and the wisdom and reminder. ;)

Stay safe

CanyonMan

.41 mag is the Rodney Dangerfield of handgun rounds. It just doesn't get any respect. :rofl:

I have a .41 mag, but I would probably pick a .44 mag over it just because of ammo availability.

kennymeek
09-01-2010, 16:06

:wow:That's pretty much it. We have em out the yang here in MD and there's never been a human death attributed to one ever in our state. I've had one encounter....didn't hang around to pet him or anything like that but went to the safety of the deck and watched him plod on by. They even have collars on them so the game wardens know who they are.

M&P Shooter
09-01-2010, 16:32
http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab89/Glock40guy/Bear-Grandfather-Mtn-Tim-Floyd-779608-1.jpg

Glockdude1
09-01-2010, 16:38
A BEAR thread and no Alfred10????

:headscratch:

CanyonMan
09-01-2010, 17:40
].41 mag is the Rodney Dangerfield of handgun rounds. It just doesn't get any respect[/B]. :rofl:

I have a .41 mag, but I would probably pick a .44 mag over it just because of ammo availability.

:rofl: That is funny ! Funny also because it is very true. Man I wish I still had that 41 though. It is fun and a great round. But I hear ya !

If I can ever get around to digging out the photo box, and scanning some pics I'll share em. Right now they are very packed away, some where. haha.

Your making me want the 41mag again man just to play with, dang ya ! ;)

Stay safe amigo !

CM

firefighter4215
09-01-2010, 18:50
I'm amazed at the number of responses recommending a jhp round. For 9mm Fmj is the only way to go, and probably lots of 'em. Like I said before, hope for the best.

vafish
09-01-2010, 19:21
:rofl: That is funny ! Funny also because it is very true. Man I wish I still had that 41 though. It is fun and a great round. But I hear ya !

If I can ever get around to digging out the photo box, and scanning some pics I'll share em. Right now they are very packed away, some where. haha.

Your making me want the 41mag again man just to play with, dang ya ! ;)

Stay safe amigo !

CM

I've been a .44 mag man for the last 25 years. But a couple of years ago I picked up a Ruger Blackhawk in .41 mag. It's really growing on me.

MannyA
09-01-2010, 19:41

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:::rofl:

MannyA
09-01-2010, 19:44
:rofl:just shoot yourself in the head and save yourself the pain.

CanyonMan
09-01-2010, 20:25
I've been a .44 mag man for the last 25 years. But a couple of years ago I picked up a Ruger Blackhawk in .41 mag. It's really growing on me.

Well, don't defect on me now amigo. I been shooting the Ruger big bores since old heck was a pup. like some kids played with pop guns some of us were shootin jack rabbits, and invisible bandito's made of sage brush and old stumps and such with guns that almost weighed more than we did.. haha.

I hear ya though onthe 41mag. It is a hoot to shoot, and a very interesting caliber (again, especially for the reloader like you and me), but man, I cannot part with my 44mag/44special/45LC. I think my hands have grown "curled in the shape of their grip." haha.

Seriously. I have drove into Dallas/Ft Worth to gun shows off ad on for several some years at times, and can honestly say I do not recall even seeing a 41 mag. I really look over the hog legs on the tables, both new and used, but cannot remember seeing a single one.

Those that got 'em are hanging on to them, just like the "old style" Ruger Vaquero's. Those are going for 500.00 + at the shows used IF you can find one, and those are rare also. Glad I started buying all this stuff years ago. ;)

Let me know if ya get the 41mag. I knew you were/are a 44mag man, but did not know ya had the secrect love in your heart for his younger brother. ha.

I wish you would stop all this, I ain't got the $$$$ to spend, and you are making me want this new toy. I been thinking about it off and on all evening ! haha.

Later my friend

CM

MrVvrroomm
09-01-2010, 21:34
I'm not a caliber-snob kinda guy, but carrying a 19 into the woods to fend off a bear is just silly. Bring more gun.

vafish
09-02-2010, 10:17
Well, don't defect on me now amigo. I been shooting the Ruger big bores since old heck was a pup. like some kids played with pop guns some of us were shootin jack rabbits, and invisible bandito's made of sage brush and old stumps and such with guns that almost weighed more than we did.. haha.

I hear ya though onthe 41mag. It is a hoot to shoot, and a very interesting caliber (again, especially for the reloader like you and me), but man, I cannot part with my 44mag/44special/45LC. I think my hands have grown "curled in the shape of their grip." haha.

Seriously. I have drove into Dallas/Ft Worth to gun shows off ad on for several some years at times, and can honestly say I do not recall even seeing a 41 mag. I really look over the hog legs on the tables, both new and used, but cannot remember seeing a single one.

Those that got 'em are hanging on to them, just like the "old style" Ruger Vaquero's. Those are going for 500.00 + at the shows used IF you can find one, and those are rare also. Glad I started buying all this stuff years ago. ;)

Let me know if ya get the 41mag. I knew you were/are a 44mag man, but did not know ya had the secrect love in your heart for his younger brother. ha.

I wish you would stop all this, I ain't got the $$$$ to spend, and you are making me want this new toy. I been thinking about it off and on all evening ! haha.

Later my friend

CM

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/vafish/Guns/DSCN2061.jpg

.41 mag is on top .44 Super Blackhawk on the bottom and the little Single Six in the middle.

We're drifting quite a bit on this thread.

But if I'm going into bear country and not carrying a rifle or shotgun either the .41 or .44 will be with me. They should handle anything on 2 or 4 legs here on the east coast.

To keep this post on topic,

OP if you are absolutely set on carrying the G19, just load it up with FMJ, it will give you the best penetration. There was a guy in Alaska 4 or 5 years ago that killed a brown or grizzly bear with a 9mm. He didn't kill the bear quick but several shots from the 9MM scared the bear off and one of them got deep enough to kill it.

CanyonMan
09-02-2010, 10:30
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/vafish/Guns/DSCN2061.jpg

.41 mag is on top .44 Super Blackhawk on the bottom and the little Single Six in the middle.

We're drifting quite a bit on this thread.

But if I'm going into bear country and not carrying a rifle or shotgun either the .41 or .44 will be with me. They should handle anything on 2 or 4 legs here on the east coast.

To keep this post on topic,

OP if you are absolutely set on carrying the G19, just load it up with FMJ, it will give you the best penetration. There was a guy in Alaska 4 or 5 years ago that killed a brown or grizzly bear with a 9mm. He didn't kill the bear quick but several shots from the 9MM scared the bear off and one of them got deep enough to kill it.

Nice hog legs vafish. My kinda stuff amigo ! I'll let ya know if I find a 41mag. I"m going to keep and eye ball peeled, "thanks to you." :tongueout: haha.

Stay safe !

CM

Roering
09-02-2010, 10:58
I doubt you would have a problem with a Black Bear. Those are rarely if ever aggressive. More likely than not if you were to have a run in with one he may be going for your deer meat. But is that really a reason to kill it? Their more like overgrown labrador retrievers. They will rummage through your camp for food you leave around, but not you.

Nevertheless, a few shots with a 9 may kill it, but not right away.

glockingdude
09-02-2010, 14:39
Wow! Thanks a lot for everyone's insight! It was more than I was hoping for! Also, I feel really bad for not clarifying... I will be using a rifle for deer; I would only whipout my handgun if I ran out of rifle ammo, or the bear was almost on top of me. thanks again!

BOGE
09-02-2010, 22:27
...Man I wish I still had that 41 though. It is fun and a great round...

Your making me want the 41mag again man just to play with, dang ya ! ;)...

I kick myself in the butt because last year a local gunshop had one of the limited run Ruger .41 Mag. revolvers on the smaller .357 frame with the 6.5`` barrel and I didn`t buy it!! :crying:

It was when I saw on the Ruger Forum how rare these are that the pain set in. :embarassed:

plasticpistol
09-03-2010, 06:35
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15921371#post15921371

i have some of that 147gr flat point DT here :)

CanyonMan
09-03-2010, 07:36
I kick myself in the butt because last year a local gunshop had one of the limited run Ruger .41 Mag. revolvers on the smaller .357 frame with the 6.5`` barrel and I didn`t buy it!! :crying:

It was when I saw on the Ruger Forum how rare these are that the pain set in. :embarassed:

I been there and done that, so I can this: Man did you screw up ! haha
Makes ya sick to your stomache don't it. Like selling one cause ya got to get something else and figure you can replace what you sold later, then find out you can't. :whistling:

Stay safe !

CM

Ak.Hiker
09-03-2010, 22:25
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15921371#post15921371

i have some of that 147gr flat point DT here :)

How do they shoot? Have you done any penetration testing yet?

LASTRESORT20
09-03-2010, 22:54
Try some good old Bear Spary also (They really hate it)....and or a shot in the air....
But for a **Lastresort...if the 19 is all you have...Go Heavy with the DOUBLE-TAP 147gr+P

CanyonMan
09-03-2010, 23:19
This is the result of bear spray, and small calibers..............

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/GT%20stuff/untitled6743.jpg

CM