Which brass manufacturers use small pistol primers in .45 ACP? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which brass manufacturers use small pistol primers in .45 ACP?

MinervaDoe
08-30-2010, 12:41
:headscratch: I've picked up some .45 ACP range brass here and there which seems to use small pistol primers.
How common is this?
Which brass manufacturers use small pistol primers in .45 ACP?

So far, the culprits are:
S&B
Speer
GFL

:shame: Am I smoking carpet fibers? Am I missing something here? :dunno:

I guess I'll load them up with small pistol primers, the next time I am getting ready to switch the Dillon over to do a 9mm run. :stooges:

MSgt Dotson
08-30-2010, 12:44
Winchester's "NT" line also uses them....

DoctaGlockta
08-30-2010, 12:44
I've seen Fiocchi and some Aluminum Blazer with SPP in 45ACP.

Glock2008
08-30-2010, 12:45
I've got some winchester nt, that has small primers.

vtbluegrass
08-30-2010, 12:48
I just loaded some Brass Blazer with small primers. I have 50 and they will be shot last next time I am at the range and they are staying there for the next poor soul.
The cycle continues.

dsmw5142
08-30-2010, 12:48
I have a crap load of the Speer clean fire stuff. Works fine. I just keep it bagged and seperated for lost brass matches.

MinervaDoe
08-30-2010, 13:21
Okay, it's good to hear I'm not crazy.
Why are these companies doing this?
I just loaded some Brass Blazer with small primers. I have 50 and they will be shot last next time I am at the range and they are staying there for the next poor soul.
The cycle continues.
:rofl:

I have a crap load of the Speer clean fire stuff. Works fine. I just keep it bagged and seperated for lost brass matches.
I figure I'll sort it and separate it and just reload it when I'm set up for small pistol stuff.

XDRoX
08-30-2010, 13:35
Small primer 45's are awesome.:rock:

Someday I'm going to switch over to them. Until then I can hardly wait. I hate changing over to large primers on the press. Some reviews that have come out about them have even claimed you can get better accuracy with SPP's.

dudel
08-30-2010, 18:37
Mine is either Speer or Federal. I've seen some Winchester out there. BTW, it shoots great, plus one less primer type to stock.

dudel
08-30-2010, 18:40

Someday I'm going to switch over to them. Until then I can hardly wait. I hate changing over to large primers on the press. Some reviews that have come out about them have even claimed you can get better accuracy with SPP's.

I've read a Layne Simpson article that says that, and my own tests have confirmed that in my loads. It IS great not having to switch primer feeds.

Moving to 45 ACP small primer brass was one of the good things I've done recently. (the other is working up a VLV .223 load for the contenter. Don't need a silencer and it's accurate to 50 yards. A great small game round)

dbarry
08-30-2010, 18:55
spp 45's rock! I dont have to switch primers when going from 45acp to 45gap (45 special :O)

dbarry
08-30-2010, 18:59
I've read a Layne Simpson article that says that, and my own tests have confirmed that in my loads. It IS great not having to switch primer feeds.

Moving to 45 ACP small primer brass was one of the good things I've done recently. (the other is working up a VLV .223 load for the contenter. Don't need a silencer and it's accurate to 50 yards. A great small game round)

makes you wonder why they've got spp and lpp. probably same reason they've got flat head & phillips... torx, hex, robertson... :O)

HAMMERHEAD
08-30-2010, 19:06
GFL is the brass used by Fiocchi in their lead free frangible ammo.
The rest are probably all from lead free primers as well. For some reason they can't (or won't) make lead free large primers.

Now if they would just make SPP 10mm brass...

freakshow10mm
08-30-2010, 23:28

PM me your address and I'll send you what I have. Coffee can full of crimped and SP .45 brass. I'll sort the crimped and ship the SP.

That being said, I've seen:

Winchester NT
Federal NT
Speer
CCI
Fiocchi
Remington

XDRoX
08-31-2010, 07:39
PM me your address and I'll send you what I have. Coffee can full of crimped and SP .45 brass. I'll sort the crimped and ship the SP.

That being said, I've seen:

Winchester NT
Federal NT
Speer
CCI
Fiocchi
Remington

Wow Freak, thanks for the offer, you're too kind. I'll be happy to pay shipping if you like. Pm sent.

Jim Watson
08-31-2010, 11:01
The rest are probably all from lead free primers as well. For some reason they can't (or won't) make lead free large primers.

They did to start with, that is where the occasional large primer case with a huge flashhole comes from.

The Dinol lead-free priming mix is "hotter" than lead styphnate. Early Winclean had large primers and large flashholes to vent the pressure rise into the case. Current NT uses small primers because less Dinol is required.

Winchester NT is no problem to reload with standard small pistol. (Although Winchester will tell you not to, for some reason.) If you are going for a power factor, be sure to chronograph, my tests showed 25-40 fps less than large primer cases. The Federal NT small I picked up had a HEAVY primer crimp. Not many to be seen around here and not worth the trouble to decrimp.

buyobuyo
08-31-2010, 18:41
Along the same lines.... Lapua is making .308 brass with small primer pockets.

JBaird22
09-01-2010, 08:45
The Lapua .308 brass is called Palma or some such. It is said to give greater accuracy than large primer .308 brass.

CTSixshot
09-01-2010, 08:59
They did to start with, that is where the occasional large primer case with a huge flashhole comes from.

The Dinol lead-free priming mix is "hotter" than lead styphnate. Early Winclean had large primers and large flashholes to vent the pressure rise into the case. Current NT uses small primers because less Dinol is required.

Thanks JW. I always wondered what the deal was with these and your explanation is as good as I've heard yet.

Seems to me I have heard of issues with ejectors on some firearms contacting large primers (if clearing a live round, for example), but I can't offer any documentation on this.

Remington used to use a small primer on their 7.62x39 ammo, but I've heard that was discontinued. Again, no real documented proof of this.

XDRoX
09-04-2010, 11:31
Thanks Freakshow:wavey:

I just got the brass in the mail. I really appreciate it. With the amount of 45 that I shoot, this brass will be enough to change over to SPP 45 and last me a while. I've only ever loaded 45 on my single stage, but I think I'll put an order in with Dillon today, to get set up on my 550b.
Thanks again.

Dudel, do you have any WST data? Should I just try my regular load and expect a little less velocity?

freakshow10mm
09-04-2010, 15:14
No problem.

I haven't used WST in the .45 but use either HS6, Longshot, #5, or WSF. 6gr of WSF with anything 230gr is a nice load. Ran tens of thousands of those in my G30 when I had one.

MNBud
01-27-2011, 15:57
I just ran across this posting after coming out of my reloading room confused.I try to pick up just my brass at the range but apparently picked up a piece of 45 brass with a small primer pocket (Blazer) I, at first assumed it was a piece of GAP brass. The bottom however was marked acp. Can someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't GAP brass visibly shorter? Is it also marked GAP on the base. I have never actually seen a GAP round or brass.Thanks in advance for any clarification.

sdelam
01-27-2011, 16:58
yes GAP is much shorter,

I was loading 45 today and found a few dozen SP brass in fed and blazer. I've been throwing it in the scrape bin but maybe I should start keeping it. Seem to be finding more and more lately.

If you ask me it's a pain, kinda like 7.62x39 it's a toss up as to what you get.

dudel
01-27-2011, 17:10
I just ran across this posting after coming out of my reloading room confused.I try to pick up just my brass at the range but apparently picked up a piece of 45 brass with a small primer pocket (Blazer) I, at first assumed it was a piece of GAP brass. The bottom however was marked acp. Can someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't GAP brass visibly shorter? Is it also marked GAP on the base. I have never actually seen a GAP round or brass.Thanks in advance for any clarification.

GAP brass is closer in length to 9mm. It is indeed marked as 45 GAP.

MinervaDoe
01-27-2011, 18:30
:dunno:............................................................................................. .................:thumbsup:.http://home.comcast.net/~petej/45gap.case.support.jpg

EL_NinO619
01-27-2011, 20:35
SP .45's are gay........

MNBud
01-28-2011, 09:00
Thanks everyone for the responses, I guess this will just be one more step in my reloading process.I always check to insure there is no media in the flash hole after depriming but I guess i just didn't notice the size difference or realize there were anyone using small primers. I, either don't get much of anyone's brass or it just isn't popular around here.

bootman
05-08-2011, 10:35
Everything was so simple and now some jerk has to change it...I have 8000 lg primers though ans a bunch of brass ...Just means now I must sort everyghing new....bootman

whenmonkeysfly
12-09-2011, 12:13
I recently purchased some .45ACP Federal Classic 230 Grain Ball that has the SPP. (I would not have purchased them had I known they had small pistol primers, because my Dillon is setup for large primers.)

The brass cases on the Federal Classic look cheap to me - concave to the primer pocket. I've been saving them, but I'm not sure I'm going to reload them. I typically use Starline Brass with Large Pistol Pockets. They seem well made and will take many reloadings as evidenced by my 10mm reloads.

Does anyone know why companies are switching to small pistol primers in the .45ACP? (I suspect it because they are cheaper to make.)

fredj338
12-09-2011, 12:24
Thanks Freakshow:wavey:

I just got the brass in the mail. I really appreciate it. With the amount of 45 that I shoot, this brass will be enough to change over to SPP 45 and last me a while. I've only ever loaded 45 on my single stage, but I think I'll put an order in with Dillon today, to get set up on my 550b.
Thanks again.

Dudel, do you have any WST data? Should I just try my regular load and expect a little less velocity?

You'll get slightly less vel/pressure using the SPP 45acp, JME running some test loads over a chrono. I'll save the ones I pickup now & then collecting my brass. Damn stuff is terrible in a 650 w/ case feeder.:crying:
I think the switch to spp is purely a cost issue; either mat'ls or equip change over or both. I hate trying to recover my brass @ the local IDPA matches, too many guys shooting factory 45s from Federal or Speer. I SO, so sometimes guys "help" & pick up brass for me, then I end up having to sort it all.

TN.Frank
12-09-2011, 12:55
Seems like 45acp with Small Pistol Primers would be a great way to go if you also loaded 38spl/357Mag and 40S&W, all of which use SPP, that way you could stock just one size primer for everything that you load. I noticed that they've got em' here for sale.
http://centerfirebrass.com/products-list/45-acp/45-acp-small-pistol-primer-500-ct/
Says Blazer headstamp, I thought Blazer(brass or aluminum) used a berdan primer so it'd not be reloadable. Maybe the brass case Blazer is boxer primed though.

whenmonkeysfly
12-10-2011, 07:43
You'll get slightly less vel/pressure using the SPP 45acp, JME running some test loads over a chrono. I'll save the ones I pickup now & then collecting my brass. Damn stuff is terrible in a 650 w/ case feeder.:crying:
I think the switch to spp is purely a cost issue; either mat'ls or equip change over or both. I hate trying to recover my brass @ the local IDPA matches, too many guys shooting factory 45s from Federal or Speer. I SO, so sometimes guys "help" & pick up brass for me, then I end up having to sort it all.

Fred,

I use a 650 with a case feeder. Does it jam up, hard to deprime/prime or what? I may just use this stuff for matches and practice and throw it in the range bucket.

-Jay (WMF)

DoctaGlockta
12-10-2011, 07:50
Most of mine have been Federal. I have a few of hundred loaded up between those and blazer aluminum. Will shoot them when I am somewhere where I can't pick up my brass.

I actually like shooting them. 6 grains of unique with a 230 grain LRN is some sweet shootin'