Anyone try a light on a gen4 19? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try a light on a gen4 19?

sigchaser723
08-30-2010, 13:08
I am looking to pick up a gen4 19 to use as an EDC and was wondering if anyone had tried a light on theirs? (Oh and I dont mean a Glock light as IMHO they are not worth adding to a gun). I have a procyon that I want to add but not at the expence of reliability. I have a gen3 but the gen4 with the larger strap just fits my hand so much better. On a side not I called a local LE shop today to see if they had a 19 instock sadly they didnt but they did have a gen4 23 to bad thats not what I am interested in lol.

bentbiker
08-30-2010, 13:21
. . . but they did have a gen4 23 to bad that's not what I am interested in lol.
Is that a typo (G22?)? Don't think the G23 has hit any stores yet.

Careby
08-30-2010, 13:28
I use a TLR-3 on mine. Some say it isn't bright enough, or strong enough, or expensive enough. It's cheap, compact, and bright enough for my purposes. I have a TLR-1 on a 21SF, but I find it too big and heavy for the 19.

The challenge for a light on a carry weapon is finding a decent holster that fits the combination. I'm waiting on a Galco Halo but don't know yet how well it will work for me.

sigchaser723
08-30-2010, 13:50
Not a typo but I didnt see it either. He said all he had was a Gen4 23 and I said are you sure it's a 23 he told me to hold on then cae back and said it was. They are pretty good there so I have no reason to doubt him but Im with you I didnt think they were out yet. I already own a gen3 23 though so I am not interested in going to check it out.

AA#5
08-30-2010, 13:55
I am looking to pick up a gen4 19 to use as an EDC and was wondering if anyone had tried a light on theirs? (Oh and I dont mean a Glock light as IMHO they are not worth adding to a gun). I have a procyon that I want to add but not at the expence of reliability. I have a gen3 but the gen4 with the larger strap just fits my hand so much better. On a side not I called a local LE shop today to see if they had a 19 instock sadly they didnt but they did have a gen4 23 to bad thats not what I am interested in lol.

I got a nice bright Surefire light (110 lumens) but decided against putting it on my Glock after reading the warnings in the manual about it causing malfunctions in a polymer-framed pistol. I put it on my Sig P220 instead & use a hand-held light on my Glocks. It may or may not cause a malfunction, but I don't see any reason to find out.

sigchaser723
08-30-2010, 14:39
See there is y issue I always carry a light on me but want one on the gun for times when an off body light isnt practical. I may also use this as a duty weapon eventually and then the light would be a must. I have a huge issue with glock saying that the lights may cause issues due to the polymer frame. No other manufacturer seems to have this issue (my sigpro,XD, friends FN and NHSP M&Ps all run with lights). If they only want to have glock lights on their guns then they should produce a light with a useful output the light is just to weak to warrant adding it to a weapon IMO. I love my glocks but this issue just angers me.

Ogie
08-30-2010, 14:56
I got a nice bright Surefire light (110 lumens) but decided against putting it on my Glock after reading the warnings in the manual about it causing malfunctions in a polymer-framed pistol. I put it on my Sig P220 instead & use a hand-held light on my Glocks. It may or may not cause a malfunction, but I don't see any reason to find out.

I don't recall seeing that in my G19 Gen 4 manual. I'll have to look closer.

I have used my old Surefire X200 on my G19 and it works fine!

FiremanMike
08-30-2010, 16:14
My gen4 G19 runs just fine with a TLR-1

NHmike
08-30-2010, 16:22
XML fro insight slides on to all my pistols nicely!!

tampashooters
08-30-2010, 16:29
Not a typo but I didnt see it either. He said all he had was a Gen4 23 and I said are you sure it's a 23 he told me to hold on then cae back and said it was. They are pretty good there so I have no reason to doubt him but Im with you I didnt think they were out yet. I already own a gen3 23 though so I am not interested in going to check it out.

Sorry to say, but your dealer is a flake. The Gen4 G23 isn't out yet, he probably has an RTF2 and thinks it's a Gen4.

Anyhoo, the TLR-1s is a great light for around $100

http://inlinethumb10.webshots.com/19785/2308494210100259265S600x600Q85.jpg

txgunguy
08-30-2010, 20:11
Weird, my Glock brand light is brighter than my friend's TLR-2. I tested it next to my 3 cell maglight and it is brighter than that as well. The Glock light is a great light for the price. Got mine on sale about 3 years ago for 60$.

sigchaser723
08-31-2010, 13:27
Im sorry but to me 80 lumens (maybe I am wrong but this is what I have seen GTLs listed at) is about the bottom of the spectrum for a tac light. When at work I carry 2 flashlights both putting out 120 lumens and my procyon hits that as well. That is half again as bright as the GTL or the TRL2. My training reflects that a light is not just to ID a target but to blind and confuse them as well. I always carry an off weapon light on me but frankly in a tactical situation they have too many draw backs for me to feel comfortable with ( for example if you are holding a light in one hand and covering a suspect with another how do you plan on calling 911? What if you take a round in one arm? Now you can either operate your light or your gun not both effectivly.) The other issue I have with the GTL light is that holsters are not common for them, if you buy a surefire,streamlight or insight light you have a lot of options but using a GTL will eliminate virtually all of them. Yes you could cary the light off the gun and mount it but under stress that could prove to be very difficult and now your hand is near the muzzle of a hot weapon, and you have no way to reholster without first taking the time to remove the light. As a bed side weapon light the GTL might work fine but for my purposes carrying daily and possibly on duty it just falls far to short. As to being brighter then a mag light well lets face it that stopped being a standard years ago and the palm sized lights made now are far brighter then them as well.

tampashooters
09-01-2010, 08:15
Weird, my Glock brand light is brighter than my friend's TLR-2. I tested it next to my 3 cell maglight and it is brighter than that as well. The Glock light is a great light for the price. Got mine on sale about 3 years ago for 60$.

There is no way the Glock light is brighter than a TLR-2 or a 3-cell.. NO possible way. Check your batteries.

txgunguy
09-01-2010, 09:17
There is no way the Glock light is brighter than a TLR-2 or a 3-cell.. NO possible way. Check your batteries.

Haha ok. I'm not going to argue about it. Everyone can have their opinions.

tampashooters
09-01-2010, 09:49
Haha ok. I'm not going to argue about it. Everyone can have their opinions.

It's not my opinion, I was pointing out a fact. Your statement, however, is an opinion, and not based on fact. But, you are correct, everyone can have their opinions... right or wrong.

Glock Tac Light - 60 Lumens
Streamlight TLR-2 - 135 Lumens
Maglite 3 cell - 76 Lumens

I have had the Glock Tactical Light, as well as a TLR-1, TLR-1s, Procyon, Mx3, and a few others, and the Glock light is the worst of all. heck, I even had a 35 lumen LED tac light from CDNN that seemed brighter... THIS, of course is MY opinion.

cowboy1964
04-02-2011, 00:49
I have a TLR-1 on my G4 19. Works great. Not too front heavy.