Weapon light for 870 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Weapon light for 870

Denied
08-30-2010, 16:33
Since the surefire 618LMG seems to be the most expensive weapon light on the market, I suppose it must be the best, right? Anyway before I sink $400 on a surefire, is this truly the way to go?

aippi
08-30-2010, 19:01
I am a Surefire Dealer and have every model for the 870 sitting out in my shop. 47 instock right now. I get the best price from Surefire as I am a Stocking Dealer. So I can have any Forend on my weapon I want.

I mention the above to make a point. I run the 618 FA on my weapons. For HD to much light is bad. It illuminates you as much as it does the threat. I don't want that much light. The incandesent reaches out further then the LED also.

So it comes down to why you want this on the weapon. HD then go with the 618FA or 618LF because you don't need to pay $50 more for a kill switch that just gives Mr. Murphy more to mess with. If this is a duty weapon then yes to the more powerfull lights as you may need them on duty and if you store the weapon in a soft case then yes to the switch so the light is not activated when you set somthing on the case. But make sure you turn the switch on when you break the weapon out.

Buying the biggest and baddest with the most features makes no sense compared to buying what is right for the intened use of the weapon. Use the money you save for ammo.

AK74play
08-30-2010, 20:20
I am a Surefire Dealer and have every model for the 870 sitting out in my shop. 47 instock right now. I get the best price from Surefire as I am a Stocking Dealer. So I can have any Forend on my weapon I want.

I mention the above to make a point. I run the 618 FA on my weapons. For HD to much light is bad. It illuminates you as much as it does the threat. I don't want that much light. The incandesent reaches out further then the LED also.

So it comes down to why you want this on the weapon. HD then go with the 618FA or 618LF because you don't need to pay $50 more for a kill switch that just gives Mr. Murphy more to mess with. If this is a duty weapon then yes to the more powerfull lights as you may need them on duty and if you store the weapon in a soft case then yes to the switch so the light is not activated when you set somthing on the case. But make sure you turn the switch on when you break the weapon out.

Buying the biggest and baddest with the most features makes no sense compared to buying what is right for the intened use of the weapon. Use the money you save for ammo.
Big + 1 it just dont get any better than this..:supergrin:

Remjin
08-31-2010, 16:24
Also a +1.

No reason to go all nuts with it if you're just using it for the house. Most of the real top end stuff is for people who go into harm's way, not for the rest of us regular people just wanting to be prepared for the local hoodlums. I bought the one with the pressure switch and the constant on/off only. KISS and all that.

thumbbreak
08-31-2010, 22:11
+1 here too. The 618FAs are the way to go and an absolute must for the HD role. I have cleared a house with the 618FA and with my Z2 and in a stress situation the forend light was better by a long shot.

iguy
09-13-2010, 22:42
Send it by PM no advertising.

MrMurphy
09-14-2010, 07:59
Agreed with Aippi for once.

The Surefire is the Rolls Royce of shotgun lights for a reason. However, pick and choose which model fits you best.

And stop blaming me for stuff.

Denied
09-14-2010, 14:09
Thanks guys, I took your advice and bought a 618FA, found one on ebay for $195.00. Makes a really nice setup.
I am a retired LEO and have cleared 100s of places in 23 years on the job, with a flashlight in one hand and a shotgun in the other, its a shame the 618s did not come to be years ago.

bsg1
09-14-2010, 22:39
Thanks guys, I took your advice and bought a 618FA, found one on ebay for $195.00. Makes a really nice setup.
I am a retired LEO and have cleared 100s of places in 23 years on the job, with a flashlight in one hand and a shotgun in the other, its a shame the 618s did not come to be years ago.

good for you; i have that old alcoholic mentality that "more is always better" and sometimes... i have to step back and look where i am, and where i want to be. then it dawns on me that more can be better... but not always.

congratulations on a great setup!

MrMurphy
09-15-2010, 00:37
Surefire fore-ends have been in existence for over 20 years.........the very first was designed for LAPD and the '84 Olympics if I remember right. :)

DPris
09-15-2010, 10:11
The integrated light/fore-end is the best way to go, no clamps to come loose & no wires to either snag or come unglued.
That said, I removed the Surefire that came on my 870P a while back largely because it had too many switch options. After a realistic appraisal of my own abilities & remembering clearing more than one building on the job over the years, I decided the chances of hitting the wrong switch "combination" under stress far outweighed any advantage that fore-end gave me.

Simple IS best.
Denis

Edited to add this is not suggesting no light at all, just confirming the basic models may be the best.