12ga SLUGS!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 12ga SLUGS!!

DIRTYHARRYWITHAGLOCK
08-30-2010, 19:21
Can you fire rifled slugs in a unrifled shotgun? Cuz I got a Mossberg 500 Persuader and I would like to know if I can. It wont damage my shotty will it?

Regards,
Dirty Harry

Devin459
08-30-2010, 20:15
Rifled slugs were designed for smooth bore(unrifled) shotguns. It will not damage your shotgun but I recommend that you use no smaller than an improved cylinder choke. You can also shoot sabot slugs out of a smooth bore shotgun but they will have no advantage unless fired out of a rifled shotgun.

AK74play
08-30-2010, 20:16
Rifled slugs are supposed to be used in smooth bore barrels. Sabots are for rifled slug barrels. Look at it like this, 2 sets of rifling (one on slug and one in bore) dont work togather. Same with Sabot (Smooth) slug in smooth bore, as there would be nothing to force the slog to twist on the way out and it could end up going anywhere.

mixflip
08-30-2010, 20:20
Absolutely OK!

dc2integra
08-30-2010, 20:24
Yes you can my friend

DIRTYHARRYWITHAGLOCK
08-30-2010, 20:45
I do not have rifling in my shotgun. Its a smooth barrel 12ga mossberg 500 persuarder. So sabot slugs are rifled slugs? Which means they can not be fired through a smooth barrel like mine? Sorry I am new to the shotgun world.

AK74play
08-30-2010, 21:02
I do not have rifling in my shotgun. Its a smooth barrel 12ga mossberg 500 persuarder. So sabot slugs are rifled slugs? Which means they can not be fired through a smooth barrel like mine? Sorry I am new to the shotgun world.
Sabot slugs are NOT rifled they are for rifled barrels. You COULD shoot through a smooth bore but I wouldn't advise it and accuracy would be out the window. Its really easy DONT MIX (smooth with smooth) OR (rifled with rifled).

shootingbuff
08-30-2010, 21:27
Can you fire rifled slugs in a unrifled shotgun? Cuz I got a Mossberg 500 Persuader and I would like to know if I can. It wont damage my shotty will it?

Regards,
Dirty Harry

As mentioned rifled slugs are for the unrifled bbl.

Sabots are fine out of "my" smooth-bores out to 50yds Never tried further but seem they would do well enough at 100.

method
08-30-2010, 22:20
Rifled slugs are supposed to be used in smooth bore barrels. Sabots are for rifled slug barrels. Look at it like this, 2 sets of rifling (one on slug and one in bore) dont work togather. Same with Sabot (Smooth) slug in smooth bore, as there would be nothing to force the slog to twist on the way out and it could end up going anywhere.

Rifled slugs can be fired out of a rifled bore just fine. The 'rifling' on the slug doesn't impart any spin.

Mr Wasabi
08-30-2010, 22:31
You will be fine.

On the subject of slugs. I like to keep a few on (side saddle) my 870 mixed with 00 for HD. What's everyone's favorite slug round for HD?

AK74play
08-30-2010, 22:34
Rifled slugs can be fired out of a rifled bore just fine. The 'rifling' on the slug doesn't impart any spin.
Guess the manufacturers got it wrong...

AK74play
08-30-2010, 22:37
You will be fine.

On the subject of slugs. I like to keep a few on (side saddle) my 870 mixed with 00 for HD. What's everyone's favorite slug round for HD?
I know a lot of people do but I prefer low recoil 00Buck for HD. 9 pellets dont spread much at that close range but in my mind it's still better than 1 projectile. Just my take on it.

Mr Wasabi
08-30-2010, 22:46
I know a lot of people do but I prefer low recoil 00Buck for HD. 9 pellets dont spread much at that close range but in my mind it's still better than 1 projectile. Just my take on it.

That's what I use for my main HD 00 load, Federal low recoil 00/9 shot (LE132-00) but I also keep a few slugs on my side saddle just in case I want to quickly load something else. By leaving the mag 1-2 shots empty, you can quickly load up some slugs if needed. I like keeping my options open. I was just wondering if anyone else does this and what slugs are best for this application?

southernshooter
08-31-2010, 02:45

I think I read that somewhere. The rifled slug travels front end heavy like a badmitten shuttlecock with the rifling possibly causing some spin by the airflow.

F350
08-31-2010, 02:56
When I lived in a shotgun only state for deer I have killed them with the Foster style (traditional hollow base, thimble shaped), sabots and Brennike (the front looks kinda like a jet engine with the wad permanently attached for stabilization) slugs. From what I observed on deer the Brennike is superior to the others for putting a deer down, if there is such a thing as "knockdown power" the Brennike has it.

In my 8 shot 1100 HD shotty numbers 7 & 8 are Brennekies with 2 more in the side saddle.

ET.
08-31-2010, 13:11

Is there a noticeable difference in the low recoil shells? I have been thinking of going to those exclusively for HD, but can't find the time or place to try them out.

Alaskapopo
08-31-2010, 13:47

Regards,
Dirty Harry

The so called rifling on rifled slugs does nothing. The slugs don't spin. They are stabilized like a badminton birdie. (the mass of the slug is forward and the base is hollow)

So yes you can fire rifled slugs in anything pretty much except its not a good idea in full choke guns.
Pat

Alaskapopo
08-31-2010, 13:49
Is there a noticeable difference in the low recoil shells? I have been thinking of going to those exclusively for HD, but can't find the time or place to try them out.

On my chrono reduced recoil Remington slugs were going 1200 fps in my Benelli M4. Full power Breneke 2 3/4 mags were going 1450.

Reduced recoil slugs are fine for home defense. Actually I would recommend reduced recoil 00 buck instead.
Pat

AK74play
08-31-2010, 13:51
Yes sir there is a definate difference in what you feel from low recoil shells.

Fireman1291
08-31-2010, 14:07
That's what I use for my main HD 00 load, Federal low recoil 00/9 shot (LE132-00) but I also keep a few slugs on my side saddle just in case I want to quickly load something else. By leaving the mag 1-2 shots empty, you can quickly load up some slugs if needed. I like keeping my options open. I was just wondering if anyone else does this and what slugs are best for this application?

Try the new win pdx rounds in 12g. The walmart at 41/54 had them yesterday....nasty looking rounds

jeanjvr
08-31-2010, 14:30
The so called rifling on rifled slugs does nothing. The slugs don't spin. They are stabilized like a badminton birdie. (the mass of the slug is forward and the base is hollow)

So yes you can fire rifled slugs in anything pretty much except its not a good idea in full choke guns.
Pat

This is something I've never got a good answer for. Is there any slug you can shoot in a choked barrel? I believe my semi-auto Beretta 301 has a full choke.

Mr Wasabi
08-31-2010, 14:40
Try the new win pdx rounds in 12g. The walmart at 41/54 had them yesterday....nasty looking rounds

Thanks I will. I'll be rolling by there later today. On those Brenneke rounds, which one is best? I'm having a hard time finding the HD rounds.

Alaskapopo
08-31-2010, 15:11
This is something I've never got a good answer for. Is there any slug you can shoot in a choked barrel? I believe my semi-auto Beretta 301 has a full choke.

well I would not use Breneke because the lead is hard cast. You might get away with using standard soft lead foster slugs. But its not a good idea in my opinion.
Pat

ET.
08-31-2010, 16:12
Yes sir there is a definate difference in what you feel from low recoil shells.

On my chrono reduced recoil Remington slugs were going 1200 fps in my Benelli M4. Full power Breneke 2 3/4 mags were going 1450.

Reduced recoil slugs are fine for home defense. Actually I would recommend reduced recoil 00 buck instead.
Pat

Thanks, that is exactly what I needed to know.

DPris
08-31-2010, 18:52
The manufacturers got nothing "wrong" on rifled slugs.
The rifling is there to swage the slug's wall diameter down in passing through chokes, including full chokes. It is not there to make the slug spin, and you do not get any conflict between the "rifling" on the slugs and the rifling in a rifled barrel.

Rifled slugs can work well in either rifled or smooth bores.

Saboted rounds are undersized projectiles (usually a more or less conventional jacketed bullet type) encased in a plastic two-halved sabot (literally means "shoe" in French) that engages rifling as it travels through the bore and drops off within a few yards of the muzzle after it exits.

Saboted rounds CAN work reasonably well in accuracy at 50 yards through a smoothbore, even when they tumble and keyhole on target. When they do tumble, they can do a fair amount of damage in entering sideways, but obviously don't expand as they were designed to do when they enter straight on.

Even the Brennekes are designed to swage down through a full choke, but you do increase pressures using them through one. Best to stay a little looser.
Denis

DIRTYHARRYWITHAGLOCK
08-31-2010, 20:02
Ok thank you, I made the mistake of not looking at what slugs I was buying when the "old goat" at walmart was talking my ear off. So I ended up buying 60rds of rifled 12ga slugs instead of just 12ga slugs. I just have to use slugs at the range because that is all they allow.

DIRTYHARRYWITHAGLOCK
08-31-2010, 20:05
So I can just use the rifled slugs I got and it will be fine? The range I go to only allows slugs and I just purchased the wrong slugs without looking at them. Otherwise they will just sit on my shelf...

DIRTYHARRYWITHAGLOCK
08-31-2010, 20:08
ok thank you, because I knew that it would not matter for accuracy. I just need slugs to shoot at the range 7yds away, haha. What is a good choke for a mossberg 500 pump-action 12ga?

DPris
08-31-2010, 20:08
Slugs & rifled slugs are still slugs.
I wouldn't use them in a full choked bore, myself, but it can be done. Accuracy will probably suffer.

Otherwise, slug away!
Denis

DPris
08-31-2010, 20:10
A "good choke" to do what?
IC is a generally accepted all-round bore for using both slugs & buck.
Full is probably better for just buck in defense or hunting, definitely better for longer range feathers, but each gun's different.
Denis

shootingbuff
08-31-2010, 20:14
Agree +1

Pat

skynyrd1911
08-31-2010, 20:52
After trying many different slugs, I now use Winchester Rack Master High Velocity Slugs. 12 gauge 2 3/4 inch 1625 FPS 1 1/8 oz. I've tried many different sabots through rifled barrels and many different rifled slugs through smoothbore barrels. You can use these Rack Masters through smooth or rifled barrels with nice accuracy. I use them almost exclusively now. Hunting & HD. Resonably priced too. $5.97 at WallyWorld. I just got plain tired of paying $12 or more for sabots.