Benchmade Field Sharpners [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Benchmade Field Sharpners

team9x19
08-31-2010, 00:42
anyone use these? i'm not new to sharpening a knife, but for the price and ease of use i was thinking about picking one up. my question is how long do the sharpening blades last on these things?

thanks!

ironhead79
09-04-2010, 15:20
I had the smaller one and used it for about a year, then lost it. Worked great the whole time. Actually, it worked so good, I bought the large one a week later. It has been used for almost a year now, still works fine. A couple drags through and you're shaving arm hair.

Just remember, these are for 60deg incl angle.

team9x19
09-05-2010, 10:12
I had the smaller one and used it for about a year, then lost it. Worked great the whole time. Actually, it worked so good, I bought the large one a week later. It has been used for almost a year now, still works fine. A couple drags through and you're shaving arm hair.

Awesome to hear, thanks for the help!
And yes, I plan on using it only for my benchmade blades.

Are you still on your factory sharpening blades?

ironhead79
09-05-2010, 10:38
Yes, still using the carbides that came in it. When I first bought it, thought about buying a spare set. Didn't. We'll se how long the factory set last.

skippz
09-06-2010, 17:41

What exactly do u mean? I'm dying to razor up my knives but can't find any good kits to help me w/ that. will the BM field only sharpen knives at that angle... if so what should I get to sharpen all my blades?

ironhead79
09-08-2010, 16:03
What exactly do u mean? I'm dying to razor up my knives but can't find any good kits to help me w/ that. will the BM field only sharpen knives at that angle... if so what should I get to sharpen all my blades?

The bm sharpeners are made for their knives and to my knowledge they only use a 60deg included angle (30 + 30). I have used the sharpener on other blades with the same excellent results. BUT!! On my emersons with chisel grinds, I use a gatco triceps per their recommendation.