the lowest common denominator.... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : the lowest common denominator....

atmarcella
08-31-2010, 01:50
The Philippine Bus and Miss Universe
Daniel Wagner Managing Director, Country Risk Solutions

This week two noteworthy events involving the Philippines made headlines: the botched rescue of Chinese tourists taken hostage by a disgruntled former policeman, and a botched response to a question by Miss Philippines in the finals for the Miss Universe contest. You might ask, what do these two things have in common? Separately, not much, but taken together, they represent both the peril and promise of the Philippines today.

For many years pundits have commented that the Philippines appears to be heading backwards economically and politically, while many parts of Asia barrel toward middle income status and have maturing democracies. Yes, other countries have disputed elections, other countries' leaders do questionable things, and other developing countries struggle to achieve sustainable economic growth. And, yes, there are recent examples of fresh political turmoil and economic hardship not only in Asia, but throughout the world.

The difference here is, many of the countries experiencing political instability and economic dislocation don't have the things the Philippines has: agricultural self-sufficiency, a high literacy rate, and a largely homogeneous population. One Asian country that possesses these qualities - Indonesia - has managed to transcend monumental political turmoil, turn its situation around, get on the path to democracy, stay there, and become a darling of the international investment community. The Philippines had this in the 1960s. Why can't it have it now?

When I lived in the Philippines from 2003 to 2007, I was asked, what is the difference between the Philippines and Indonesia? My answer was, "In Indonesia, they have hope." I came to the conclusion that in spite of all the things the Philippines has going for it, its people didn't demand enough of themselves, or of their government. Political apathy and a willingness to accept a low common denominator of performance have taken their toll on the psyche of the Philippine people.

Filipinos should not therefore be surprised that the Philippine police tried to negotiate with the hijacker of the Chinese tourist bus well after a reasonable period of time had passed, negotiations had failed, and the lives of the tourists were clearly in jeopardy. Police from a variety of other nations would have simply killed him at the first opportunity, regardless of the fact that he was a former colleague. This SWAT team knew how to get the results that were required, but they failed to do so. Why? Their priorities were misaligned. The safety of the hostages should have been paramount - not the fanciful notion that a man who is desperate enough to take hostages would somehow come to his senses at the height of the crisis.

The result of actions like this are unfortunately consistent with the expectations many people have of performance in other areas. Politically, the Philippines has descended into an ongoing competition between political dynasties: Marcos, Arroyo, and yes, Aquino. What I don't understand is, why do Filipinos continue to vote them in, election after election? Is it because of a lack of viable alternatives? No. Is it because of political apathy? Possibly. Or is it because they have no expectations that anything will change, regardless of who is in power? Definitely. What does this say about the country's future? Nothing good.

Which brings me to the Miss Universe contest. Miss Philippines, Maria Venus Raj, is by anyone's definition fantastically beautiful, poised, and graceful. Many believe she should have won the competition, and she deserves a lot of credit for being the first Filipina since 1999 to make it to the finals. But her flubbed response to the question of what mistake she had made in her life and what would she have done differently apparently cost her the crown. How could this 22-year-old woman, who so diligently prepared herself for that moment -- at great personal sacrifice her whole life - not have come up with a better response?

She was nervous, she said. Well, who among the finalists wasn't? Other Filipinos have said English wasn't her first language so she had difficulty coming up with the right words. Really? How come no other Philippine contestant in the Miss Universe pageant ever had an interpreter? In preparation for this event it never occurred to her or anyone around her that such a question might be asked? Had she come up with a better response, it is likely the crown would have been hers, and the Philippines would be basking in her glow. Instead, it's just another instance of a missed opportunity, and Filipinos are making excuses.

If the Philippines wants to get its act together and live up to its potential, it needs to demand more of itself. It can achieve this by stopping making excuses for its failures and ending its acceptance of the lowest common denominator. President Aquino promised to put an end to nepotism and corruption in government. The people should make sure he does this. When the police screw up a hostage rescue, the people responsible should be fired. And when a beauty queen blows an attempt to become the glory of the Philippine people, it should be recognized as such.

Daniel Wagner is Managing Director of Country Risk Solutions, a political risk consultancy based in Connecticut.

my reaction is.....sad but true. others are coming to our country to learn english so that they can further enhance their success (koreans). what we do is, throw away english and teach kids tagalog.... even in math. if thats not shooting ones self in the foot i dont know what is.:crying:

Allegra
08-31-2010, 08:20
masarap naman buhay dito sa pilipinas a , wag na natin baguhin heehee

pagyumaman pilipinas , magsisi lang tayo

CatsMeow
08-31-2010, 18:31
my reaction is.....sad but true. others are coming to our country to learn english so that they can further enhance their success (koreans). what we do is, throw away english and teach kids tagalog.... even in math. if thats not shooting ones self in the foot i dont know what is.:crying:

I've always believed those blasted telenovelas are one means of forcing Tagalog on the folks down south, believe me, I kept overhearing Tagalog in Cebu, but the 'gahi ug dila' accent gives them away.

Still, if you could filter away the constant flooding, tricycles going the wrong way, blatant violation of traffic rules, government incompetence and corruption, the Philippines is still a good place... it's the people at large who are the problem.

randr1979
08-31-2010, 19:47
Allegra's got it right, I personally have no complaints, 3rd world way of life all around me notwithstanding.

Kaiser Soze
08-31-2010, 21:49
Allegra's got it right, I personally have no complaints, 3rd world way of life all around me notwithstanding.

We don't have a right to complain, we have expendable income to buy our guns and other toys man, I think we'd be singing a different tune if we were living in a shantytown with no idea as to where our next meal would come from.

ppts799
08-31-2010, 21:58
The Filipino today

By Alex Lacson

After the August 23 hostage drama, there is just too much negativity about and against the Filipino.

“It is difficult to be a Filipino these days”, says a friend who works in Hongkong. “Nakakahiya tayo”, “Only in the Philippines” were some of the comments lawyer Trixie Cruz-Angeles received in her Facebook. There is this email supposedly written by a Dutch married to a Filipina, with 2 kids, making a litany of the supposed stupidity or idiocy of Filipinos in general. There was also this statement by Fermi Wong, founder of Unison HongKong, where she said – “Filipino maids have a very low status in our city”. Then there is this article from a certain Daniel Wagner of Huffington Post, wherein he said he sees nothing good in our country’s future.

Clearly, the hostage crisis has spawned another crisis – a crisis of faith in the Filipino, one that exists in the minds of a significant number of Filipinos and some quarters in the world.

It is important for us Filipinos to take stock of ourselves as a people – of who we truly are as a people. It is important that we remind ourselves who the Filipino really is, before our young children believe all this negativity that they hear and read about the Filipino.

We have to protect and defend the Filipino in each one of us.

The August 23 hostage fiasco is now part of us as Filipinos, it being part now of our country’s and world’s history. But that is not all that there is to the Filipino. Yes, we accept it as a failure on our part, a disappointment to HongKong, China and to the whole world.

But there is so much more about the Filipino.

In 1945, at the end of World War II, Hitler and his Nazi had killed more than 6 million Jews in Europe. But in 1939, when the Jews and their families were fleeing Europe at a time when several countries refused to open their doors to them, our Philippines did the highly risky and the unlikely –thru President Manuel L Quezon, we opened our country’s doors and our nation’s heart to the fleeing and persecuted Jews. Eventually, some 1,200 Jews and their families made it to Manila. Last 21 June 2010, or 70 years later, the first ever monument honoring Quezon and the Filipino nation for this “open door policy” was inaugurated on Israeli soil, at the 65-hectare Holocaust Memorial Park in Rishon LeZion, Israel.

The Filipino heart is one of history’s biggest, one of the world’s rare jewels, and one of humanity’s greatest treasures.

In 2007, Baldomero M. Olivera, a Filipino, was chosen and awarded as the Scientist for the Year 2007 by Harvard University Foundation, for his work in neurotoxins which is produced by venomous cone snails commonly found in the tropical waters of Philippines. Olivera is a distinguished professor of biology at University of Utah, USA. The Scientist for the Year 2007 award was given to him in recognition to his outstanding contribution to science, particularly to molecular biology and groundbreaking work with conotoxins. The research conducted by Olivera’s group became the basis for the production of commercial drug called Prialt (generic name – Ziconotide), which is considered more effective than morphine and does not result in addiction.

The Filipino mind is one of the world’s best, one of humanity’s great assets.

The Filipino is capable of greatness, of making great sacrifices for the greater good of the least of our people. Josette Biyo is an example of this. Biyo has masteral and doctoral degress from one of the top universities in the Philippines – the De La Salle University (Taft, Manila) – where she used to teach rich college students and was paid well for it. But Dr Biyo left all that and all the glamour of Manila, and chose to teach in a far-away public school in a rural area in the province, receiving the salary of less than US$ 300 a month. When asked why she did that, she replied “but who will teach our children?” In recognition of the rarity of her kind, the world-famous Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in the United States honoured Dr Biyo a very rare honor – by naming a small and new-discovered planet in our galaxy as “Biyo”.

The Filipino is one of humanity’s best examples on the greatness of human spirit!

Efren Penaflorida was born to a father who worked as a tricycle driver and a mother who worked as laundrywoman. Through sheer determination and the help of other people, Penaflorida finished college. In 1997, Penaflorida and his friends formed a group that made pushcarts (kariton) and loaded them with books, pens, crayons, blackboard, clothes, jugs of water, and a Philippine flag. Then he and his group would go to the public cemetery, market and garbage dump sites in Cavite City – to teach street children with reading, math, basic literacy skills and values, to save them from illegal drugs and prevent them from joining gangs. Penaflorida and his group have been doing this for more than a decade. Last year, Penaflorida was chosen and awarded as CNN Hero for 2009.

Efren Penaflorida is one of the great human beings alive today. And he is a Filipino!

Nestor Suplico is yet another example of the Filipino’s nobility of spirit. Suplico was a taxi driver In New York. On 17 July 2004, Suplico drove 43 miles from New York City to Connecticut, USA to return the US$80,000 worth of jewelry (rare black pearls) to his passenger who forgot it at the back seat of his taxi. When his passenger offered to give him a reward, Suplico even refused the reward. He just asked to be reimbursed for his taxi fuel for his travel to Connecticut. At the time, Suplico was just earning $80 a day as a taxi driver. What do you call that? That’s honesty in its purest sense. That is decency most sublime. And it occurred in New York, the Big Apple City, where all kinds of snakes and sinners abound, and a place where – according to American novelist Sydney Sheldon – angels no longer descend. No wonder all New York newspapers called him “New York’s Most Honest Taxi Driver”. The New York City Government also held a ceremony to officially acknowledge his noble deed. The Philippine Senate passed a Resolution for giving honors to the Filipino people and our country.

In Singapore, Filipina Marites Perez-Galam, 33, a mother of four, found a wallet in a public toilet near the restaurant where she works as the head waitress found a wallet containing 16,000 Singaporean dollars (US $11,000). Maritess immediately handed the wallet to the restaurant manager of Imperial Herbal restaurant where she worked located in Vivo City Mall. The manager in turn reported the lost money to the mall’s management. It took the Indonesian woman less than two hours to claim her lost wallet intended for her son’s ear surgery that she and her husband saved for the medical treatment. Maritess refused the reward offered by the grateful owner and said it was the right thing to do.

The Filipina, in features and physical beauty, is one of the world’s most beautiful creatures! Look at this list – Gemma Cruz became the first Filipina to win Miss International in 1964; Gloria Diaz won as Miss Universe in 1969; Aurora Pijuan won Miss International in 1970; Margie Moran won Miss Universe in 1973; Evangeline Pascual was 1st runner up in Miss World 1974; Melanie Marquez was Miss International in 1979; Ruffa Gutierrez was 2nd runner up in Miss World 1993; Charlene Gonzalez was Miss Universe finalist in 1994; Mirriam Quiambao was Miss Universe 1st runner up in 1999; and last week, Venus Raj was 4th runner up in Miss Universe pageant.

I can cite more great Filipinos like Ramon Magsaysay, Ninoy Aquino, Leah Salonga, Manny Pacquaio, Paeng Nepomuceno, Tony Meloto, Joey Velasco, Juan Luna and Jose Rizal. For truly, there are many more great Filipinos who define who we are as a people and as a nation – each one of them is part of each one of us, for they are Filipinos like us, for they are part of our history as a people.

What we see and hear of the Filipino today is not all that there is about the Filipino. I believe that the Filipino is higher and greater than all these that we see and hear about the Filipino. God has a beautiful story for us as a people. And the story that we see today is but a fleeting portion of that beautiful story that is yet to fully unfold before the eyes of our world.

So let’s rise as one people. Let’s pick up the pieces. Let’s ask for understanding and forgiveness for our failure. Let us also ask for space and time to correct our mistakes, so we can improve our system.

To all of you my fellow Filipinos, let’s keep on building the Filipino great and respectable in the eyes of our world – one story, two stories, three stories at a time – by your story, by my story, by your child’s story, by your story of excellence at work, by another Filipino’s honesty in dealing with others, by another Pinoy’s example of extreme sacrifice, by the faith in God we Filipinos are known for.

Every Filipino, wherever he or she maybe in the world today, is part of the solution. Each one of us is part of the answer. Every one of us is part of the hope we seek for our country. The Filipino will not become a world-class citizen unless we are able to build a world-class homeland in our Philippines.

We are a beautiful people. Let no one in the world take that beauty away from you. Let no one in the world take away that beauty away from any of your children! We just have to learn – very soon – to build a beautiful country for ourselves, with an honest and competent government in our midst.

Mga kababayan, after reading this, I ask you to do two things.

First, defend and protect the Filipino whenever you can, especially among your children. Fight all this negativity about the Filipino that is circulating in many parts of the world. Let us not allow this single incident define who the Filipino is, and who we are as a people. And second, demand for good leadership and good government from our leaders. Question both their actions and inaction; expose the follies of their policies and decisions. The only way we can perfect our system is by engaging it. The only way we can solve our problem, is by facing it, head on.

We are all builders of the beauty and greatness of the Filipino. We are the architects of our nation’s success.

To all the people of HK and China, especially the relatives of the victims, my family and I deeply mourn with the loss of your loved ones. Every life is precious. My family and I humbly ask for your understanding and forgiveness.

atmarcella
08-31-2010, 22:08
pagyumaman pilipinas , magsisi lang tayo

master A, uhmmmmmmmm bakit? i dont understand.....

hindi ba natin gusto yumaman bansa natin?

Allegra
08-31-2010, 22:09
We don't have a right to complain, we have expendable income to buy our guns and other toys man, I think we'd be singing a different tune if we were living in a shantytown with no idea as to where our next meal would come from.

shanty towns?
they could try working , thats a good start :)

Allegra
08-31-2010, 22:21
master A, uhmmmmmmmm bakit? i dont understand.....

hindi ba natin gusto yumaman bansa natin?

Di ko nga rin malaman e
Mga nasa states , panay pintas sa plipinas
Panay naman reklamo puro daw trabaho dun , wala pahinga , hingi ng hingi ng maid
What do they have that we dont? snow lang naiisip ko e

atmarcella
08-31-2010, 22:29
well.......tayo wala.......most that they have there we also have.....and then some....cheap labor being top of mind.

but..........minority tayo.....

what about the majority who are living in abject poverty.......?????????

hindi ba dapat mga kagaya ng singapore, HK, australia, canada etc

na majority ng citizens nila are living decently....

hindi ba dapat ganyan?

hindi yung tayo lang naka ngiti ang marami naka ngiti bibig lang nila, sikmura nila kumokulo, hindi pa sila naka ligo ng ilang linggo na, o naka palit ng damit ng ilang linggo na, mga sanggol nila natutulog nalang sa gutom, naka tira sila sa ilalim ng tulay, ang marami wala talaga........

when we say here mahirap pa sa daga.........many times i see this in the literal sense.......

peace out.........

CatsMeow
08-31-2010, 23:35
The all-inclusive factor? Ignorance. Many's the time I tried to explain things to litigants, only for them to stick with their pre-conceived illogical and asinine notions... Wouldn't get through them even when I'm already purple in the face.

Remove ignorance, then people will be aware enough to see who they are electing to office... Then the vicious cycle will be broken.

As to how... my office only deals with the aftermath.

Wp.22
08-31-2010, 23:59
mapupunta na naman ang usapan na ito sa church and state plus family planning

Allegra
09-01-2010, 00:09
well.......tayo wala.......most that they have there we also have.....and then some....cheap labor being top of mind.

hindi ba dapat ganyan?

hindi yung tayo lang naka ngiti ang marami naka ngiti bibig lang nila, sikmura nila kumokulo, hindi pa sila naka ligo ng ilang linggo na, o naka palit ng damit ng ilang linggo na, mga sanggol nila natutulog nalang sa gutom, naka tira sila sa ilalim ng tulay, ang marami wala talaga........

when we say here mahirap pa sa daga.........many times i see this in the literal sense.......

peace out.........

ay di ko naman sinabi hindi maganda for the majority of the pinoys
Sabi ko lang mag sisisi tayo

I have a great idea
what if we shoot alll the males?
Think about it...wala nang naglalaseng, wala ng batugan, walang nambugbog, walang nambubuntis
Anyway, it's the females who do all the work

Baka mabigyan ako ng award jan a

jimbullet
09-01-2010, 02:32
The face of the so called Filipino working overseas is changing. This is no longer your typical yayas or maids but are instead skilled young professionals that have chosen to migrate and pledge loyality to a foreign country.

A country that adopts the Filipino giving him all the opportunities (and hardships) that there is, leaving the negative traits behind him.

There is an old saying: Sa pinas, masaya na mahirap, sa abroad mahirap na masaya.

jimbullet
09-01-2010, 02:38

hindi ba dapat ganyan?

peace out.........

In the first world nations, there is dignity and professionalism in every job no matter how big nor small. the remuneration plus govt subsidy will give you and your family the ability to live reasonably comfortably.

Sa pinas, wala kang maasahan sa govt, understandably because there govt is in deficit, plus there are billions of people.

atmarcella
09-01-2010, 03:42
wp22....sapol!.....when govt starts to decide on its own w/o being dictated by the church.........give it 50yrs and we will see the fruits.....

ang RH bill parang seed yan........you plant it.......then wait 50........if you dont plant it.....kahit ano pang gawin nila....

eliminate corruption...impossible

more efficient govt.......impossible

end the war with the milf/npa.......impossible also

wala pa rin mangyayari sa pinas.

that seed is the first step.

but seriously....i dont think it will happen.

takot si pnoy sa simbahan.

at sa police hehehehehehe.....

PMMA97
09-01-2010, 15:11
I have a great idea
what if we shoot alll the males?
Think about it...wala nang naglalaseng, wala ng batugan, walang nambugbog, walang nambubuntis
Anyway, it's the females who do all the work

Baka mabigyan ako ng award jan a

Hitler ikaw ba yan?:supergrin:

IMO there is no need for someone to remind me how silly or stupid or how proud my Filipino blood and lineage is.

I know who I am and that's enough for me.

Allegra
09-01-2010, 21:24
Guys,
Read the article
Hindi corruption, inutil govt etc ang problema dito kasi other countries have them
Attitude adjustment daw, masyado daw mababa standards natin
Ewan ko lang sa inyo , pero ako masaya sa pilipinas
Yung mga hindi masaya, time to change your attitude

That's what i love about sports and competition
Jan mo makikita mental toughness ng isang tao, or the lack of it
Pagnatataalo ka na, do you give up?
or are you the type who thinks - hanggang may bala gunbox ko, di pa tapos ang laban

jimbullet
09-02-2010, 01:54
The problem is even if you have the attitude, but the govt and others around you dont, this pulls you down.

Lets take an example. Just getting some document from a government agency takes so many red tape, encouraging fixers. It takes so long, too long to process things.

Other govts yes they have some degree of corruption. It cannot be totally eradicated however it is kept minimal.

Allegra
09-02-2010, 03:49
no, the " govt and other" only pull down people who dont have the attitude
If you think you cant, you wont

National bookstore is filled w/ bios of local self made rich people who had attitude and succeded dito
interestingly, most have chinese names

jimbullet
09-02-2010, 04:05
I believe that if you think you can, you will but it will take longer in an unsupportive environment. It brings to mind perserverance no matter what the odds.

This I think most of the Chinese Taipans would probably have in common.

Just look at the mature financial markets in the US for instance, they have managed to push portfolios and sold these with good margins. Kaya nga nagka subprime lending resulting to the GFC (Global Financial Crisis). They had the attitude that bad lending can be made into a good lending proposition.

Hehehe

JuDGe
09-02-2010, 05:53
National bookstore is filled w/ bios of local self made rich people who had attitude and succeded dito
interestingly, most have chinese names

Nanay Coring the woman behind National Bookstore is a very inspiring success story :supergrin:

Allegra
09-02-2010, 06:53
where's Horge when you need him? we need a lesson in history
Something Rizal wrote sa Indolence of the Repapips
Di daw indolence ang cause ng backwardness , instead it's the backwardness that causes indolence
Sayang walang twitter nung panahon nya

jimbullet
09-02-2010, 12:57
Change has to start somewhere to escape the cycle. This I guess is what Allegra is pointing out. Govt cannot do this on its own but it needs the people to change as well so everything flows.

The people in order to be inspired to a change needs govt to lead this change by example. Improve efficiencies, improve checks and balances, Reduce corruption.

What we need is a few good men (or women) who will not be consumed by the negative practices when they are in govt.

Allegra
09-02-2010, 17:18
no matter how painfull it sounds, di ba semi-diktador kelangan natin?

jimbullet
09-03-2010, 01:12
Agree.

Lets be clear, its a Dictator that the country needs, not a Tyrant.