CCI 350's in general [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CCI 350's in general

dansjeep2000
08-31-2010, 08:15
With the other questions coming up about CCI 350's I thought now would e a good time to ask this question. When I picked up my reloading stuff at the local gun shop their gunsmith told me it was ok to use 350's in place of 300's if you count the primer as about 2gr of powder. Does this sound right?

_The_Shadow
08-31-2010, 09:44
Dansjeep2000, the CCI350 being a magnum pistol primer, means it produces a hotter flame and more brisance for better ignition of denser charges of powder.

Brisance is a measure of the rapidity with which an explosive (http://glocktalk.com/wiki/Explosive) develops its maximum pressure (http://glocktalk.com/wiki/Pressure). Brisance is the shattering capability of an explosive.

To say that you could count it as 2 grains is just not correct, especially given that some powders are faster burning or different denseties than others.

With pistol loads where I have made substituions, I have reduced by 0.2 grains(2/10ths) to work the loads. Possibly larger & denser rifle loads may need to be reduced more.

Be advised not all results will be the same with various powders. It also depends on how close you are working to the maximum for your particular application, by this I mean if you are below max pressure loads, you could still be within the normal limits with the sustitution.

Kegs
08-31-2010, 17:23
What ^ he said. Anytime you change components, just work up your loads as the reloading manuals suggests. That being said, 2 grains seems a bit "conservative" to me.

dansjeep2000
08-31-2010, 17:32
Thanks for the info guys. I didnt really want the 350's but they were out of 300's and well, I already told you what they told me.

Kegs
08-31-2010, 17:37
I like 350s and use them a lot of the time for 10mm.

dansjeep2000
08-31-2010, 17:49
I like 350s and use them a lot of the time for 10mm.
Thats good to know, i plan to use them i'll just start low and work my way up.

lunker
09-01-2010, 10:21
The Shadow is correct. 2 grains of Bulleye is not the same as 2 grains of AA #9. Perhaps the storekeeper was referring to a particular powder and didn't mention it to you. Either way, the safe thing to do is start at the minimum load and work up. Some powders are notorious for not liking magnum powders, in the sense that they build pressure too quickly with them. I believe 800X falls into that category. Some powders like the magnum primers. I think AA #9 falls into that category (spherical ball powders, because they are harder to ignite). Keep an eye out for pressure signs like flattened primers. Good luck!

99blkta
09-01-2010, 11:17
Some powders are notorious for not liking magnum powders, in the sense that they build pressure too quickly with them. I believe 800X falls into that category.

In my experience this is very correct with the 800X!!