How do I convince my wife to let me buy a gun? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How do I convince my wife to let me buy a gun?

swrdply400mrelay
08-31-2010, 16:04
Ladies, any help or advice would be appreciated.

A few of my friends are into shooting, and I would like to as well, but my wife is scared of guns. She's fired a gun before, and nobody close to her has died from a GSW. She's not interested in learning to shoot either.

Any advice? Thanks!

mike

patrick927
08-31-2010, 16:17
It's better to ask for forgiveness than permission.....

MedicOni
08-31-2010, 16:18
Grow some testicles and buy one? Then tell her about it.

MrSmoofy
08-31-2010, 16:23
My wife wasn't really interested but I talked her into SD and we both went and got a CCW together using a G19 we bought, now she has a .38 special she carries in a concelment purse and I have G27 I carry

SiGlocKid
08-31-2010, 16:25
Take her to the range with your buddies and show her how fun it can be (with a caliber she can shoot without recoil frustrations), then throw in the HD/SD aspect as the icing on the cake.

ETA: Whoops. Overlooked the part about her disinterest in shooting.

Mrs.Cicero
08-31-2010, 17:11
Do you have to tell her what you spend your allowance on?

Would you have to ask to buy a chainsaw?

If the answer to either of these questions is yes, you need more help than I can give you.

Mrs.Cicero

ExxoticOne
08-31-2010, 17:22
Discuss with her what that item (don't say "gun") can do for her/you (hone in on the word "us"). "We need a revolver for OUR home protection." "In order for you to be OK with this WE should take a class together." You need to sell her on the features/benefits of having the item versus the actual item itself.

Anglowulf
08-31-2010, 17:34
I never asked, and she stuck to being the lady of the house.
Now she has a couple for herself.

swrdply400mrelay
08-31-2010, 17:45
It's better to ask for forgiveness than permission.....

Hahahaha, that's plan B.

I would like to find a more diplomatic solution first before going to plan B.

swrdply400mrelay
08-31-2010, 17:47

If the answer to either of these questions is yes, you need more help than I can give you.

Mrs.Cicero

Edit: Come to think of it, that would be more like something we need.

A Glock would be more like a toy for me, so that would be something that we would more likely have to agree upon.

jdavionic
08-31-2010, 17:48
Go buy one and tell her "get in that kitchen and make me some pie!"...in your best immitation of Eric Cartman.

kurt1305
08-31-2010, 17:53
Buy her one for her birthday or Christmas.

HexHead
08-31-2010, 17:58
I don't have an allowance, but yes pretty much everything I buy I have to ask. She's that cheap.

Is she the only one working? Judging by the title of this thread, I'll guess you have bigger problems than not having a gun.

You don't need our advice, you need to take Chopper's advice.... :rofl:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CBcQtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DunkIVvjZc9Y&ei=_5V9TIWIHIa0lQfPlOjsCw&usg=AFQjCNGYOEKZHoVmI6HINbWvdwEmVexNJA

sawgrass
09-01-2010, 03:43

Mrs.Cicero

Edit: Come to think of it, that would be more like something we need.

A Glock would be more like a toy for me, so that would be something that we would more likely have to agree upon.

Based upon this reply, your approach isn't likely to be very succesful. Also
based upon this reply, I'm inclined to agree with her and I don't even know
you.

ithaca_deerslayer
09-01-2010, 09:31
There's at least 3 issues to consider:

1. Her feelings for you. Is she scared for your safety? Afraid you might accidentally shoot yourself?

2. Her concern for her house. Is she worried about having a dangerous tool around the house? Afraid the kids might get a hold of it? Afraid the neighbors might get ahold of it? Afraid it might just go off and hit her in the living room?

3. Her concern of household money. Have you each agreed to spend that much money on yourselves for things that you might not really need?

Solutions:

1. Maybe take a safety course.

2. Buy a safe.

3. Can't help you there :rofl:

vafish
09-01-2010, 10:02
Sounds like you need to convince your wife to let you spend money before you can convince her to let you buy a gun.

Who works, you, your wife, or both?

How do you decide your family budget? Does one of you make the decisions or is it a joint effort?

How do you decide to spend your "fun money" or money on something just you want to do?

If you want to go see a movie and she doesn't want to see it what happens?

This really isn't about a gun, it's about how you and your wife decide how to spend money and who is in control.

bmylesk
09-01-2010, 10:15
buy it for "her"

To Arms!!
09-01-2010, 10:37
Let you ???:rofl:

Unless it is a high dollar gun that would impact your finances, or if she is the only one working, then why would you need to?

Many firearms ago, my wife questioned why I needed so many firearms.
My answer was it was not an question of need but want. I turned the question on her and asked her why she needed so many shoes. For example isn't one pair of black shoes enough? She never would ask me if it was ok for her to buy a pair of shoes. They would just magically appear in her closet.

When I would have a gun out and she would sarcastically ask if that was "another" gun, "Oh, no dear, I've had this one for years".

Other than the color or type - long gun, revolver, or semi-auto, she doesn't know the difference and now no longer cares.

And yes, she has more shoes than I have guns.

BerettaGrl
09-01-2010, 10:49
Can you find a women's shoot near you? Ask her to give it a try.

R4 fan
09-01-2010, 10:52
Go to http://www.nraila.org/ArmedCitizen/ and scroll down to the bottom. You can search for articles from your state. As a police officer, I'll be the first to tell you that you should have a gun in the home and practice with it. Unarmed people are victims.

It's a great hobby and shooting is fun, but it's a skill that can save the life of you or a loved one.

Glockdude1
09-01-2010, 11:09
If you have to "convince" your wife to let you buy anything, maybe you need a magazine subscription..........

http://www.chaserodgers.com/whipped.jpg

:faint:

Foxtrotx1
09-01-2010, 11:21
Hahahaha, that's plan B.

I would like to find a more diplomatic solution first before going to plan B.

Divorce is a an option if all else fails.

R4 fan
09-01-2010, 11:41
Oh the whipped magazine is good. I am going to print one out and attach it to a magazine, and give it to a guy at work.

WWJGD
09-01-2010, 22:04

Mrs.Cicero

This.

But seriously, it does depend on what your household budget is like, and how much you consult each other on large purchases. It also depends on what her concerns are. If you have small children and that's her concern, address that. If she just doesn't like them, keep it with you.

Actually, there was a time that the nutty liberal mindset got a hold of me (in college) and I was "afraid" of guns. That all went away when 1) I was in a situation where I actually needed one, and 2) I got my a** to the range and took a Basic Handgun course. The knowledge of how to handle one safely removed all fear. After our range time, I was hooked.

skeeter1959
09-02-2010, 01:16
If a gun is in your budget, then buy one. If wifey throws a fit, you have 2 choices. Sell the gun and be whipped, or stand your ground. If the wifey persist, then get a new wife (and no, I'm not kidding).

You get one chance at life. Don't be a doormat.

sonoma
09-04-2010, 22:17
Ding,ding,ding, we have the correct answer.

Manofprint
09-04-2010, 22:19
buy it for "her"

Thats my trick

But actually the G19 is hers along with the mossberg 500

crsuribe
10-15-2010, 15:59

Mrs.Cicero

Hahahahahaha!!! What the heck would I need a chainsaw for is what my wife would ask me! Home defense? Gonna cut the bastard in half or something? What's going on with me! Hahaha!

Well, when you have to live in a tight economy, you do have to talk about something that's gonna cost you several hundreds of dollars.. plus, to some, it's important your significant other knows when something that could mean a bit of a change to your lifestyle is going to happen or going to be brought home.. like if you're getting a new dog or something. A firearm is serious business to a lot of people..

I'm actually very lucky to have a wife who understands and supports my hobby so much. Yet I always talk to her about any gun ideas before we do anything about it. It has a lot to do with the $$$ though.

JeepnGrl99
10-18-2010, 06:52
Ladies, any help or advice would be appreciated.
A few of my friends are into shooting, and I would like to as well, but my wife is scared of guns. She's fired a gun before, and nobody close to her has died from a GSW. She's not interested in learning to shoot either.
Any advice? Thanks!
mike

Why? As in, why is she not interested, and why is she afraid? Once you understand the reasons behind it, then you can try to work your way around it. If there really is no valid reason, then get one for her and you!

And I agree with Mrs Cicero.

If you have an "allowance", then go get yourself a gun. If you don't stand your ground, you will lose it.

PATRICE
10-19-2010, 19:54

xxlarge
10-20-2010, 18:56
When the subject of gun ownership comes up in my presence and there are libs/non-gun owners or fence sitters present, I ask them one question..."Who is responsiblw for your protection and that of your loved ones?"

They usually do not have an answer, or, they may say something like "the police", which of course is dead wrong. The Federal Appellate Courts have ruled on at least 2 occasions since the mid nineties that it is NOT the function of a police force, Sheriff Dept., etc. to protect it's citizens.

Silent_Runner
10-21-2010, 10:33
Hhmmm...Good question. I was married to a card-carrying ACLU member who was a very anti-gun person, and who became very upset when a friend of mine forced a small hand-gun on me when he found out that my life had been threatened several times. [I was working with a convicted felon population then.] I asked him why he was so opposed to having a gun on the premises...and suggested that maybe he was afraid that I would shoot him. His response was that he was afraid he might shoot me.

[The gun stayed.] :whistling:

---Patrice
Good choice.:thumbsup::rofl:

Gray_Rider
10-24-2010, 15:20
This post has generated some common sense comments and not just the smart-alecky "grow a pair", "man up" put downs from those who don't know the whole story.
Concerning guns, they are a love'm or you don't proposition for the most part, and reasoning with liberals is a contradiction in terms. The problem in a relationship is that one or the other partner can make life miserable for the other if they are crossed on a certain matter. I have seen it and I have experienced it. Many women will simply turn a blind eye on danger or simply "take their chances" when it comes to accepting a firearm in their lives much less actually carrying one on a regular basis. (The same arguement exists with the no helmet/no safety belt crowd. They usually can't be reasoned with till they are thrown through the back windscreen or have their brains smeared on the blacktop, and then its too late.) There is no easy answer and we don't know swrdply400's situation.
That said, I will say this. Check your shoes before you commit to a relationship. Listen to what they say and how they say it. No matter how flip or serious the comment is. Accept NO promises that things will change or things will be different AFTER you sign on the line as it were. People can fool you, and you can hear what you want to hear and miss the "bridge is out" signs and blinking lights. I speak from experience.

P.S. Patrice: My guns stayed too and I put the Appalatchian mountians between us for good measure. And no, the issue didn't concern my guns.

Gray_Rider
Deo Vindice!

Mrs.Cicero
10-24-2010, 16:13
Hahahahahaha!!! What the heck would I need a chainsaw for is what my wife would ask me! Home defense? Gonna cut the bastard in half or something? What's going on with me! Hahaha!

Well, when you have to live in a tight economy, you do have to talk about something that's gonna cost you several hundreds of dollars.. plus, to some, it's important your significant other knows when something that could mean a bit of a change to your lifestyle is going to happen or going to be brought home.. like if you're getting a new dog or something. A firearm is serious business to a lot of people..

I'm actually very lucky to have a wife who understands and supports my hobby so much. Yet I always talk to her about any gun ideas before we do anything about it. It has a lot to do with the $$$ though.

It doesn't HAVE to be that expensive... Two weeks ago, I used a $100-off-a-$500-purchase coupon down at Cabela's, along with all the points on my (only) credit car, and all the points on my husband's (he's good with it), and walked out of the store with a brand new S&W M&P 9mm compact... for $69. Yes, we had put everything possible on those cards (including the taxes) for a year, in order to rack up that much in the way of points, but hey, how ELSE do you buy a gun cheaply these days?:supergrin:

Mrs.Cicero, far too pleased