newbie powder for 9mm [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : newbie powder for 9mm

SouthernBoy
08-31-2010, 18:24
I am trying to find the best powder to start reloading with. From what I have read Universal would be good to start with since there is a lot less chance over a double charge. Is there a better choice? It is for a G19 124g fmj plinking rounds. Thanks in advance.

fredj338
08-31-2010, 18:28
Any of the medium burners work great in the 9mm; Univ, Unique, WSF, PP, AA#5. You can even go a bit faster w/ W231/HP38.

FLSlim
08-31-2010, 18:31
I haven't used Universal, but have used Unique (similar burn rate) and AA #5. I've been satisfied with both and there is little chance of overcharge in the small 9mm case. Even so, if you are starting out, it would be good to use a light to check each charged case to make sure the powder loads are at similar levels.

Boxerglocker
08-31-2010, 18:39
Any of the medium burners work great in the 9mm; Univ, Unique, WSF, PP, AA#5. You can even go a bit faster w/ W231/HP38.

:whistling:

:wavey: Just playin Fred.... LOL

Colorado4Wheel
08-31-2010, 19:08
Jack is going to tell you that you should get Bullseye, Unique or 2400. If you can't do it with those three in pistol it don't need to be done.

Page 2 of this link will let you compare the actual volume of each powder. Look up a weight close to what the manual recommends that look at the size disc that Lee says it will need. Comparing disc sizes gives you the data of how bulky a powder really is.

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/AD2302.pdf

You have plenty to choose from already from everyone else. But read the burn rate chart and compare each powder on your burn rate chart (they vary a little as well). Pick a medium burn powder. 231 is as fast as I would go to start, I would not go slower then Power Pistol (great powder if you shoot outside).

Pat T
08-31-2010, 19:11
For target 115 gr fmj loads I like HP38/231 but it's hard to find around here right now. Meters very well, one of the main reasons I like it. You can set the powder measure and verify every tenth load on the scale and be within .1 grain. This is my humble opinion and I defer to others with more experience. Power Pistol is reported to work very well with 9mm as is Titegroup. No experience with either of those. The flake shotgun powders like green and red dot will work and be economical, but I don't trust the metering consistency with them in 9mm, just a personal choice. Good luck SB and let us know how your first reloads work.

Pat

D. Manley
08-31-2010, 19:12
I am trying to find the best powder to start reloading with. From what I have read Universal would be good to start with since there is a lot less chance over a double charge. Is there a better choice? It is for a G19 124g fmj plinking rounds. Thanks in advance.

Winchester WSF & Ramshot Silhouette are ideal. Vihthavuori N-330 or N-340 are great too but, more costly.

GioaJack
08-31-2010, 19:20
BULLSEYE
OR
UNIQUE

2400 isn't worth a damn in 9's.

If you're going to learn to load then do it like a professional. Keep it to three powders and use the money you save on a bigger flat panel for your loading room.
(Don't buy a FCD either... the money you save can be used to buy batteries for the flat panel remote.)

Jack

chineseboxer
08-31-2010, 19:24
231!!!

Colorado4Wheel
08-31-2010, 19:43
2400 is way slower then Power Pistol so yeah, I wasn't recommending it.

SouthernBoy
08-31-2010, 19:46
Wow! So much for narrowing it down:wow: Thanks for the quick reply guys. I will most likely just go see what I can find locally from these choices and go load some up.

jdavionic
08-31-2010, 19:51
I started out with HS-6. I liked it because it would be very obvious if you double charged a case...versus something like Titegroup, which I use now.

Colorado4Wheel
08-31-2010, 20:10
Wow! So much for narrowing it down:wow: Thanks for the quick reply guys. I will most likely just go see what I can find locally from these choices and go load some up.

Here is my process for narrowing it down.

1) Find the manufatures upper and lower recommended charge for my bullet weight.
2) Look the weight of that powder charge up in the Lee link to see how much volume it has. Compare that volume to volume of that case.
3) Look at the burn rate of that powder on several burn rate charts.

Then pick the purpose of the load.

1) If I want a light shooting USPSA load I pick the faster powder and see if recommended charges have a good chance of meeting my PF goals.
2) If I want a normal load I pick a medium burn powder. Medium burn powders work the pistol better, act better with mid level loads normally. 231 is the start of this in 9mm.
3) If I want max velocity I look for a slower powder. Power Pistol is great in 9mm for speed. So are other slower (for 9mm) powders.

Hence my statement of 231 or slower but no need to go slower then PP unless you shoot inside then other options have less flash. PP is bulky accuarate and has great velocity potential. 231 is less bulky, faster, less recoil as well. In between and around those two you just need to do your homework.

You got to do the work.

Kwesi
08-31-2010, 21:12
I've only been reloading for about 6 months. I started with WSF for my 9mm. It has run flawlessly in full auto (5.0 gr 115 gr FMJ) and in G17. Last week I had my first opportunity to chrono it @ 1,043 out of the G17. I've also loaded them at 5.3 and 5.5 gr ( 5.7 being max ). When my WSF runs out I'm going to move to Power Pistol. I've also used Unique with no issues.

M1A Shooter
08-31-2010, 21:27
Unique is what i use for 9 amd 45. will be using it for 38 and 380 more than likely.

i am looking for some wsf to try at the recommendation of a friend as well.

chris in va
08-31-2010, 22:54
You really can't go wrong with Universal, it was the first I tried with 9mm. I went ahead and experimented with 231, Unique and Bullseye, but honestly...Universal just has a nice grainy texture to it that doesn't manage to get all over your arms and table. It's pretty much like sand. Plus it seems to be cleaner burning.

I did not like Unique at all as it has huge flakes and is rather difficult to dip properly (yes, I use dippers).

OkieGunNut
08-31-2010, 23:21
TiteGroup; it's how I roll.

MinervaDoe
08-31-2010, 23:32
I've been using Unique and I found it to be very accurate in my G34. I'm going to test a pound of IMR 4756. My Lyman manual lists IMR 4756 as the most accurate powder tested for 9mm 115 grain jacketed bullets. In Pet Loads, Ken Waters found it to have outstanding accuracy on alloy bullets too (so I plan to work up some 115 grain plated loads for my G26). Waters also felt that 9mm performance with IMR 7625 was exceptional too. I still have to test it, but I've had good results from both sources.
Has anybody tried IMR 4756 or IMR 7625 in 9mm?

cole
08-31-2010, 23:53

For the new reloader, the medium burners are good advice for 9mm. I use Titegroup for 9mm currently, but when that's gone I will likely go back to good 'ol Unique. Example burn rate chart (http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html) below. I'd look at powders that are plus/minus 10-12 steps from Unique.

1. R-1 (Norma)
2. N310 (Vihtavuori)
3. Titewad (Hodgdon)
4. AS- 30N (ADI)
5. Nitro 100 (Accurate)
6. Bullseye (Alliant)
7. Solo 1000 (Accurate)
8. Red Diamond (Scot)
9. AS (Vectan)
10. Red Dot (Alliant)
11. Promo (Alliant)
12. Titegroup (Hodgdon)
13. No. 2 (Accurate)
14. American Select (Alliant)
15. AA Plus (Winchester)
16. Clays (Hodgdon)
17. N320 (Vihtavuori)
18. Competition (Ramshot)
19. Royal D (Scot)
20. WST (Winchester)
21. AP- 50N (ADI)
22. HP38 (Hodgdon)
23. AO (Vectan)
24. 452AA (Winchester)
25. 453 (Scot)
26. 231 (Winchester)
27. Zip (Ramshot)
28. 700X (IMR)
29. Green Dot (Alliant)
30. AS- 50N (ADI)
31. International Clays (Hodgdon)
32. 473AA (Winchester)
33. HS-5 (Hodgdon)
34. WSL (Winchester)
35. Unique (Alliant)
36. Universal Clays (Hodgdon)
37. N330 (Vihtavuori)
38. AP- 70N (ADI)
39. Power Pistol (Alliant)
40. SR-7625 (IMR)
41. HS-6 (Hodgdon)
42. Silhouette (Ramshot)
43. WAP (Winchester)
44. N340 (Vihtavuori)
45. 540 (Winchester)
46. Herco (Alliant)
47. WSF (Winchester)
48. SR-4756 (IMR)
49. AP- 100 (ADI)
50. Solo 1250 (Accurate)
51. 3N37 (Vihtavuori)
52. 800X (IMR)
53. No. 7 (Accurate)
54. Longshot (Hodgdon)
55. Solo 1500 (Scot)
56. True Blue (Ramshot)
57. N350 (Vihtavuori)
58. 3N38 (Vihtavuori)

JBaird22
09-01-2010, 08:42
I started with Universal and it burns pretty clean which is a plus. I have since switched to titegroup and I have found it is smoky and dirty. Not my favorite things but since I have a ton of it to use, I am going to keep with it.

Colorado4Wheel
09-01-2010, 08:59
I started with Universal and it burns pretty clean which is a plus. I have since switched to titegroup and I have found it is smoky and dirty. Not my favorite things but since I have a ton of it to use, I am going to keep with it.

You shooting lead or jacketed?

at_liberty
09-01-2010, 11:04

So many work just fine, so you almost have to start with a list of what is available, which these days is a serious question. Once you have a list of powders you can actually buy, then you are ready to pick one. If you find a load for it in a common source, it might as well be on your list of candidates. When not sure, you simply buy one pound locally instead of 16 pounds mail order.

I have used Titegroup and Power Pistol and liked them both for shooting results. In 9mm it is not so easy to say what is good or bad. I prefer some serious recoil because I am used to shooting larger calibers. I don't rate powders on soft recoil, and I don't care so much about smoke or flash, although that could indicate a powder that is not efficient in that caliber or load. The Power Pistol has more volume and was easier to see in the case before placing a bullet. It measures beautifully in the basic equipment I use.

fredj338
09-01-2010, 13:49
TiteGroup; it's how I roll.
Yeah, not for a newb IMO.:wow:

jdavionic
09-01-2010, 14:17

I agree.

tjpet
09-01-2010, 15:34
WST with 115, 124, 147grn. bullets for target-to-standard velocities.

If you want to step things up WSF or HS-6 are excellent choices.

SouthernBoy
09-01-2010, 19:58
Well I got some Unique since that is what I found locally. Now to order some bullets and get to loading!!

GioaJack
09-01-2010, 20:14
Well I got some Unique since that is what I found locally. Now to order some bullets and get to loading!!

HA! Take that Little Stevie! (Good man SouthernBoy. Send me some grits... can't get good ones in Colorado. :crying:)

Jack

MinervaDoe
09-01-2010, 21:45
Are these powders subject to sudden pressure spikes at the extremes?

Never used them. Just wondering...

fredj338
09-02-2010, 01:52

I don't know, haven't loaded PP yet, & TG scares me too much to push the top end. I have seen spikes in Clays so didn't even want to go there w/ TG.

frankmako
09-02-2010, 04:58
i been using aa#5 for the 9mm for about 5 years now. works well. can get some real good lite loads for the grandkids to shoot with it. also you can get some good load for all others.

at_liberty
09-02-2010, 07:11

The two powders are not very close in capabilities. TG is something like #12 on the list of fast burning powders, while PP is well down the list from there. Titegroup is very useful on lightweight bullets, because the higher powder charge called for doesn't take up a lot of case volume. The TG loads I used were never pushing any limit, so I can only say I liked the way the rounds performed. I have no technical measurements whatsoever, so far just going by the books and recommendations.

I shot some Titegroup .45 ACP, supposedly 4.5 gr behind 230 gr FMJ, and a few rounds got my attention as eeyowza!, wondering if somehow the powder charge was heavy here and there. It wasn't dramatic enough to be a double charge, just enough to wonder and pause. The gun and shooter survived, but I felt like I was shooting a few magnums sprinkled in. My loads are usually one step above minimum listed, and my powder charges verify consistently.

Colorado4Wheel
09-02-2010, 07:31
Power Pistol is a perfect powder for a begginer. Bulky, Medium Speed, Not a peaky powder in my experiance (I have loaded some max loads and chron'ed them). Great powder to load at a mid level and just leave it there and not worry about it.

OkieGunNut
09-02-2010, 10:28

I havn't been a newb for over 40 years. And if you can't pay attention maybe it isn't for you.

fredj338
09-02-2010, 12:05
I havn't been a newb for over 40 years. And if you can't pay attention maybe it isn't for you.
Why is it there i salways some internet commando that has to get all rude & crap? The quote was not for you, but for the OP. I don't know or even care that you are not a newb. It is not about paying attention w/ TG or other uber fasts. It's about the what ifs. Run TG or any of the uberfasts @ the top end & have a bullet setback, especially in a high pressure, small volumn case like the 9mm or 40 a KB is certainly more possible than w/ say WSF. Glad you made it well passed 40yrs, God protects those, well, you know the rest.:yawn:

MinervaDoe
09-02-2010, 12:15
It's about the what ifs. Run TG or any of the uberfasts @ the top end & have a bullet setback, especially in a high pressure, small volume case like the 9mm or 40 a KB is certainly more possible than w/ say WSF.
So, a compressed load with a fast burning powder is what we are worried about with TightGroup. Good point, someone new to reloading might not know to check their overall length as per their manual.
Yeah, whenever I notice the reloading manual has those little compressed load asterisks next to a recipe, I want to stay away. Although, I have to admit I've followed a few hot Blue Dot recipes despite my better judgement. But, I'm conservative. If it's not in print, I won't try it.

whatsupglock
09-02-2010, 12:19
I shoot 124 gr jhp with 4.0 grains tightgroup, 1.130 OAL with cci primers. work flawlessly in my G19. Makes 130,000+ power factor out of G34.

If just for target practice you could go as low as 3.8 to 3.9 grains. Very safe load.

at_liberty
09-02-2010, 12:28
So, a compressed load with a fast burning powder is what we are worried about with TightGroup. Good point, someone new to reloading might not know to check their overall length as per their manual.
Yeah, whenever I notice the reloading manual has those little compressed load asterisks next to a recipe, I want to stay away. Although, I have to admit I've followed a few hot Blue Dot recipes despite my better judgement. But, I'm conservative. If it's not in print, I won't try it.

No, "compressed load" is probably not relevant with Titegroup. It presents a concern since it lacks the bulk to make it very obvious if double charged. I think the point was increasing normal pressure by unintentionally deeper bullet insertion.

fredj338
09-02-2010, 12:40
No, "compressed load" is probably not relevant with Titegroup. It presents a concern since it lacks the bulk to make it very obvious if double charged. I think the point was increasing normal pressure by unintentionally deeper bullet insertion.
Exactly. It's almost impossible to compress a safe load of TG on purpose, it's a bullet setback that can ruin your day. So to save 1/4-1/3 of a penny per round on powder vs that slight risk, just not worth it IMO. Double charges & squibs can be avoided by good technique & paying attention, but you can do little about an unintended bullet setback. I've had it happen w/ new factory ammo, so I know it can happen w/ a reloaded round, regrdless of how much you inspect or prep. So I try to steer newbs away from uberfasts, especially if factory equiv loads are desired. Sure, you can get 1100fps w/ TG, but you can get 1100fps w/ WSF @ much less pressure. Load what you like, it's JMO.:dunno:

OkieGunNut
09-02-2010, 17:14
"Why is it there is always some internet commando that has to get all rude & crap?"

Why, thank you fred, I've always wanted to be an internet commando, and as far as the "rude and crap" go, some say I come by that naturally.

When you have something real to complain about, come back and play.

fredj338
09-02-2010, 18:03
"Why is it there is always some internet commando that has to get all rude & crap?"

Why, thank you fred, I've always wanted to be an internet commando, and as far as the "rude and crap" go, some say I come by that naturally.

When you have something real to complain about, come back and play.

Must be nice being you.:upeyes: Not a complaint, just an observation. Sooo many are sooo tough when they don't have to look the guy in the eye to insult them. Really, & for what. I wasn't even addressing you. :yawn:

n2extrm
09-02-2010, 18:13
I started with TG then tried some BE (because I had it so why not) then WSF. So far I like the WSF the best. Ran clean, good velocity and recoil impulse, and very accurate. I am pretty well done with TG for the reason stated by Fred.

fredj338
09-02-2010, 20:37
I started with TG then tried some BE (because I had it so why not) then WSF. So far I like the WSF the best. Ran clean, good velocity and recoil impulse, and very accurate. I am pretty well done with TG for the reason stated by Fred.
If you payed closer attention, maybe you could still use the TG. Apperantly that is all that is the only reason not to use it.:upeyes::whistling::yawn:

n2extrm
09-02-2010, 20:45
If you payed closer attention, maybe you could still use the TG. Apperantly that is all that is the only reason not to use it.:upeyes::whistling::yawn:

Oh I payed attention, that is exactly why I don't use it. I forgot about the scorched case too! I was pushing it pretty hard in 45 to get good results, then I started to think .1 grains off on a powder drop, a hot day in the sun, a bullet set back. Yeah I will stay in the middle of the road and worry a little less. Powder is cheap, guns and finger are not so much. :rofl:

One thing I have learned is it is never 1 thing that gets you into trouble, it is when 3 align just right.

MinervaDoe
09-03-2010, 08:06
I forgot about the scorched case too! I was pushing it pretty hard in 45 to get good results, then I started to think .1 grains off on a powder drop, a hot day in the sun, a bullet set back. Yeah I will stay in the middle of the road and worry a little less.
What causes scorched cases? Is it just a sign of excessive pressure.

I think the point was increasing normal pressure by unintentionally deeper bullet insertion.
So, check the reloading manual for each bullet's C.O.L. figure and gotta get out the dial calipers for each setup.
Gotcha! Thanks.

grenadier
09-03-2010, 13:19
Three types you can use, depending on your load of choice.

For most people, a medium speed powder the likes of Hodgdon Universal, Alliant Unique, etc, is an excellent choice.

For people who want light plinking loads, then the faster powders would do better. I use Vihtavuori N320 for plinkers, especially when teaching people to fire their first centerfire pistol. Definitely not for hot loads, though.

For people who want NATO-spec loads, where you're pushing the 9 mm to the max, then a slower burning powder the likes of Vihtavuori 3N38, can give you that kind of performance, as can Alliant Blue Dot, Accurate Arms #7, etc.

Anything slower burning, and you're going to get an incomplete burn, resulting in a "dirty" burning load. Thus, I discourage people from using powders such as Accurate Arms #9, 2400, etc., in the 9 mm.

I prefer somewhere between medium and heavy, so I use powders that fit in that range such as Alliant Power Pistol (one of the best powders for high velocities, without high pressures), Vihtavuori 3N37, etc. With any of those powders, I can easily drive a 124 grain FMJ bullet to 1200+ fps, without exceeding standard pressures.

Colorado4Wheel
09-03-2010, 13:24
What causes scorched cases? Is it just a sign of excessive pressure.

It has a lot of nitro in it. So it burn hot.

D. Manley
09-03-2010, 14:31
It has a lot of nitro in it. So it burn hot.

It does burn hot but I think more importantly, the burning characteristic doesn't tend to permit a good case seal especially, with lighter loads. In my own experience with .45 ACP, the scorched case effect is actually lessened with heavier loads.

Colorado4Wheel
09-03-2010, 14:39
Interesting idea. So why do all my 9mm loads still look burned? They have to be running nearly 50% more then .45ACP pressure (arn't they under 20K CUP?). I am going to try WST next. But I have so much Solo 1000 and I have a load that works with it so it's not a hurry or even important at this stage.

n2extrm
09-03-2010, 14:52
Interesting idea. So why do all my 9mm loads still look burned? They have to be running nearly 50% more then .45ACP pressure (arn't they under 20K CUP?). I am going to try WST next. But I have so much Solo 1000 and I have a load that works with it so it's not a hurry or even important at this stage.

Somewhere right now Fred is smiling, and he isn't sure why!:rofl:

D. Manley
09-03-2010, 15:07

I don't know, same thing in 9MM I guess, Steve...smaller, stronger, case. There are lots of really hot burning powders (3N37, for one and it's single-based) that don't scortch the cases like TG. For whatever reason, I believe the bullet is well away and pressure has not peaked sufficient to perform the seal. I've seen this reported before but have no idea how one could ever provide proof but if it was just a "hot burn", it would happen with some others as well.

fredj338
09-03-2010, 16:56

I think the thicker 9mm cases & faster pressure peak, keep the case mouth from completely sealing most chambers. It's just another anoying trait of TG. The powder does burn very hot, enough so that you can feel the add'l. heat on the slide of some pistols.

Colorado4Wheel
09-03-2010, 17:07
Compare TG to Solo 1000 and the TG pistol runs really hot in comparision.

fredj338
09-03-2010, 17:41
Compare TG to Solo 1000 and the TG pistol runs really hot in comparision.
Same for WST, it runs cool compared to TG. Did I mention I really don't like TG?:yawn:

Colorado4Wheel
09-03-2010, 17:48
I Did Not Know That.

tac_driver
09-03-2010, 19:47

Caliber 9MM Barrel Length : 4in Firearm: Glock 19
Load 2 *****
Date : 01/14/10 Temp : 50 Conditions : Sunny
Case : Winchester Crimp : 0.375 PF: 130
Trimmed : 0.751 Primer : WolfSP COL: 1.159
Powder : Unique Weight : 4.3 PD: 0.53 Shots: 5
Bullet : Berry's Weight : 124grs. BOAL: 0.587
Type : PRN
String: 18
LO 1045
HI 1066
AVG 1054
ES 21.17
SD 7.93

Somethings you should know about Unique powder.
In the load above the PD stands for the powder disk hole
you need to use for Unique in the LCT. It still won't meter
consistently. In the Dillon 550B it meters a lot better.

After shooting 100 to 150 rounds my gun gets very dirty,
barrel and action so you will be cleaning the firearm a lot.
Unique is very accurate in the 9MM 124gr bullet.

I found that W231 is a much cleaner powder and a good
powder for beginner reloaders in the 9MM 124gr bullet,
Although not as accurate as Unique, and Unique is more
forgiving with hotter loads.

fredj338
09-04-2010, 11:45
Caliber 9MM Barrel Length : 4in Firearm: Glock 19
Load 2 *****
Date : 01/14/10 Temp : 50 Conditions : Sunny
Case : Winchester Crimp : 0.375 PF: 130
Trimmed : 0.751 Primer : WolfSP COL: 1.159
Powder : Unique Weight : 4.3 PD: 0.53 Shots: 5
Bullet : Berry's Weight : 124grs. BOAL: 0.587
Type : PRN
String: 18
LO 1045
HI 1066
AVG 1054
ES 21.17
SD 7.93

Somethings you should know about Unique powder.
In the load above the PD stands for the powder disk hole
you need to use for Unique in the LCT. It still won't meter
consistently. In the Dillon 550B it meters a lot better.

After shooting 100 to 150 rounds my gun gets very dirty,
barrel and action so you will be cleaning the firearm a lot.
Unique is very accurate in the 9MM 124gr bullet.

I found that W231 is a much cleaner powder and a good
powder for beginner reloaders in the 9MM 124gr bullet,
Although not as accurate as Unique, and Unique is more
forgiving with hotter loads.
Try WSF, sim accuracy to Unique, meters like W231.

dsmw5142
09-04-2010, 12:00
Fred, I just got a pound of WSF to try in .40 with 180gr. It does seem to burn cleaner than Unique, but It's not very bulky, reminding me more of Titegroup.

On the plus side, it smokes less with lead or moly and is pretty accurate, but I think my Unique and Universal loads are a bit more accurate in MY gun.

I like it OK so far, but I think I like Unique and Universal better, since they fill a case more. We'll see if I feel any different after I get through this pound.

I guess it's good there are so many different choices :wavey:

fredj338
09-04-2010, 12:11
Fred, I just got a pound of WSF to try in .40 with 180gr. It does seem to burn cleaner than Unique, but It's not very bulky, reminding me more of Titegroup.

On the plus side, it smokes less with lead or moly and is pretty accurate, but I think my Unique and Universal loads are a bit more accurate in MY gun.

I like it OK so far, but I think I like Unique and Universal better, since they fill a case more. We'll see if I feel any different after I get through this pound.

I guess it's good there are so many different choices :wavey:
Yes, WSF & TG have about the same vol/wt, but you are using 1gr more WSF @ lower pressures to achieve the same vel. I like Unique & WSF in the 40 w/ all bullet wts & types, very accurate.

Max1775
09-06-2010, 10:56
I'm pretty new at reloading, but WST & WSF has worked well in 9mm, 40cal and 45ACP. Seems to measure well on my LCT and burns pretty clean. I've learned a lot of good things here from the elders and have saved myself a lot of time and money in the process.

jdewberr
09-11-2010, 16:25
I've been very happy with W231

4.6gr charge
1.14 OAL
1044 fps chrono from my P250 in 9mm.