Tranfering ammo from bag to a box.. Suprise! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tranfering ammo from bag to a box.. Suprise!

Glockin26
08-31-2010, 19:20
I went to the range last Saturday and nabbed some .40 cal boxes that someone was pitching. Well i still had reloads in zip-lock bags and started transferring them over primer side up. Then i notice i had a loaded bullet with powder and NO PRIMER! I was suprised to see it. I should pay more attention to my reloads :shocked:

GioaJack
08-31-2010, 19:25
Hold it in a pair of vice grips then touch a cigarette to the flash hole... kinda like shootin' a flintlock. (Well, not really but it would make a great picture. :whistling:)

Jack

Glockin26
08-31-2010, 19:34
Hold it in a pair of vice grips then touch a cigarette to the flash hole... kinda like shootin' a flintlock. (Well, not really but it would make a great picture. :whistling:)

Jack

For some reason that doesn't sound safe.

PaladinFl
08-31-2010, 19:35
For some reason that doesn't sound safe.

Are you sure about that? :rofl:

Glockin26
08-31-2010, 19:41
I don't know if you guys are being serious or joking.

GioaJack
08-31-2010, 19:46
Actually not that much would happen, some quick flame out of the flash hole... if the bullet had enough neck tension it probably wouldn't even pop out. Pressure is like water, it finds the path of least resistance, in this case the open flash hole.

Don't do it though... I could be wrong. :whistling:

Jack

PCJim
08-31-2010, 20:32

Hang around here long enough and you'll learn how to interpret some of the responses you'll get. :whistling:

No, don't do it..

Colorado4Wheel
08-31-2010, 21:07

As a general rule when people are encouraging you to do odd things with gunpowder it's a safe bet it's not a great idea.

BUT,

Just for kicks, prick a ping pong ball with a pin and light the gas. Don't drop the ball. It might catch your Mom's dried flowers on fire and then burn a hole in the carpet. But the flames are really cool and the ball will still bounce as it spews out flames all over the family room.

CitizenOfDreams
08-31-2010, 21:50

Are you kidding? I can't tell. :dunno:

Glockin26
08-31-2010, 21:54
Are you kidding? I can't tell. :dunno:

I think its safe to say we are all kidding. :whistling:

chris in va
08-31-2010, 22:51
I can verify that not much would happen. Tried making a homemade 'firecracker' over the Fourth, using a small, thick cardboard tube, fuse and duct tape.

Fffffffft...that's it. I was disappointed.

fudd
09-01-2010, 06:32
I can verify that not much would happen. Tried making a homemade 'firecracker' over the Fourth, using a small, thick cardboard tube, fuse and duct tape.

Fffffffft...that's it. I was disappointed.

Smokeless gun powder is not explosive.

Use flash powder.

ked
09-01-2010, 06:42
I think its safe to say we are all kidding. :whistling:

that MAY be true, but the OP may not know that. besides, i am not sure WE are all kidding.:whistling:

on a fast burning powder, even a small charge, there may not be a big enough exit hole at the primer to let all the gases escape. if not, watch out.:wow:

ie: don't try it!

ked:wavey:

ron59
09-01-2010, 08:12
I went to the range last Saturday and nabbed some .40 cal boxes that someone was pitching. Well i still had reloads in zip-lock bags and started transferring them over primer side up. Then i notice i had a loaded bullet with powder and NO PRIMER! I was suprised to see it. I should pay more attention to my reloads :shocked:

I've had this happen a few times as well. I catch it either while case gauging, but if not there when I put it in my ammo cases. I buy the MTM 100-count holders, and a missing (or the occasional flipped) primer is easy to spot.

albyihat
09-01-2010, 08:31
always at least put your ammo in a block to look for high, missing, and sidways primers then transfer to a baggie if its all you got.

AZBru88
09-01-2010, 09:20

Glockin 26 thats one reason I gauge all my ammo. You can pick up any mistakes at that time!
Dillon 10mm (http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25548/catid/3/Dillon_Handgun_Case_Gages)

Dillon 9mm and 40 (http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25580/catid/3/EGW_Chamber_Checkers)

I prefer the EGW model, quicker. The one I use for 10mm is a single only, but does a good job. These will also pick up bulged cases or length problems.

I've gotten to where I feel the primer going in, I'll check a round if it goes in to easily, slows you down but you catch the no primer problem. Best of luck...Bru

PCJim
09-01-2010, 10:22
always at least put your ammo in a block to look for high, missing, and sidways primers then transfer to a baggie if its all you got.

That's my process - after the reloading session is finished, I count and bag the finished rounds in groups of 100rds per baggie. For counting and to insure no screw up (like it would REALLY matter for my own inventory purposes! :upeyes:), I use a 50rd loading block. Bullet down, it's easy to rapidly check primers.

gwalchmai
09-01-2010, 11:12
Hold it in a pair of vice grips then touch a cigarette to the flash hole... kinda like shootin' a flintlock. Kinda like shootin' a GyroJet... ;)

GioaJack
09-01-2010, 11:25
Kinda like shootin' a GyroJet... ;)

Excellent point, I hadn't thought of that. I doubt if many of the younger guys even know what it is much less ever shot one.

After a few rounds it was as exciting as watching a piss ant eat a bale of hay. :supergrin:

Jack

Daryl in Az
09-02-2010, 04:28
I posted in another thread about putting the cases in an ammo box or loading block primer up as part of my "check" sequence when loading.

This is exactly why I do that.

BTW, lighting the powder would either cause pressure to go out the flash hole, or would explode the case. The case won't hold the pressure enough to send the bullet anywhere.

Don't ask me how I know these things.

Daryl

gwalchmai
09-02-2010, 04:54
BTW, lighting the powder would either cause pressure to go out the flash hole, or would explode the case. The case won't hold the pressure enough to send the bullet anywhere.
I'm not sure I agree with your police work there, Daryl... ;)

WiskyT
09-02-2010, 14:38
Just for kicks, prick a ping pong ball with a pin and light the gas. Don't drop the ball. It might catch your Mom's dried flowers on fire and then burn a hole in the carpet. But the flames are really cool and the ball will still bounce as it spews out flames all over the family room.

I didn't know ping pong balls lit their farts.

Colorado4Wheel
09-02-2010, 17:02
It's pretty impressive actually. Shoots out about 12 inchs for several seconds.

dudel
09-02-2010, 18:04

One of the advantages of single stage processing. After I primed all the cases, they went into the blocks base up. Hard for an unprimed case (or a tipped/high/upside down primer) to slip by. When powder got dumped, they went back to the blocks (duh-base down). A quick wave of the light showed any missing (or double) charges. NEVER had a squib or strange load with the single stage. Then again, I haven't had one with the Dillon yet either; but I can see how it could happen.

Rico567
09-04-2010, 05:00
I use a Dillon 650, and the "primer check" I make is when I do the "pause-seat" motion when the handle is at the top. There is a distinctly different feel when a primer seats from when there are no primers in the mechanism and it's just the punch going in there. After enough thousand rounds, it's even possible to distinguish cases of different manufactures by the tightness of the primer pocket.

For most rifles I'm loading on a Rock Chucker, and the good 'ol loading block method of "turn 'em over, turn 'em back" mentioned earlier works fine.