RCBS dies [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : RCBS dies

trlcavscout
08-31-2010, 20:02
Ok I found a local source with a reasonable price on Berry's HBFP 124gr 9mm's for my 357 sig loading. Now I am reading that the RCBS dies I bought wont work for 357 sig? Some say they work some say they dont, I see why they say they wont. But being new back to reloading and new to this caliber I need to know if I have to put out another $50 for dies or if these will get me by? Thanks.

unclebob
08-31-2010, 20:09
So what dies did you buy?

trlcavscout
08-31-2010, 20:16
I bought the RCBS set not knowing any better at the time.

trlcavscout
08-31-2010, 20:23
I can get the LEE factory crimp die for $22, but if I dont need it thats powder or bullets.

unclebob
08-31-2010, 20:28
So what is wrong with the RCBS .357 Sig Dies? And what does the Lee FCD die have too do with it. If you have me completely lost in what you trying too ask.

CitizenOfDreams
08-31-2010, 20:33
RCBS die set for 357Sig is part number 23101. The matching shellholder is #27. Which one did you buy, and why do you think it won't work?

Colorado4Wheel
08-31-2010, 20:34
Isn't the issue with the RCBS that it doesn't size small enough in the neck? Why not just get a better sizing die and be done with it.

trlcavscout
08-31-2010, 20:35
So what is wrong with the RCBS .357 Sig Dies? And what does the Lee FCD die have too do with it. If you have me completely lost in what you trying too ask.

Hopefully I am wrong and these work (since I got the set for $10), I read a couple threads on here that said that the RCBS dies dont crimp right, a few even said you have to use bullets with cannelure if you do use them. So I googled it and found even more people saying dont buy the RCBS. The Lee's were recommended by a lot of people is why I threw that out there.

trlcavscout
08-31-2010, 20:39
RCBS die set for 357Sig is part number 23101. The matching shellholder is #27. Which one did you buy, and why do you think it won't work?

Thats the set I have.

So these will work properly? I assumed they would when I bought them, but maybe I spent to much time in front of the PC and not enough time in front of the press this weekend?

PCJim
08-31-2010, 20:51
Before you get all disappointed in your purchase, why not try the dies? RCBS makes some quality equipment, although I too have heard negatives about their die set in 357 SIG.

I would size a case and seat a bullet, sans primer and powder. Give it a bench press test to see if you get any measurable set back. If you cannot press the bullet further into the case and measure any before/after difference, the sizing die is good to go.

unclebob
08-31-2010, 20:51
Read this and see if it helps you out any.

http://www.realguns.com/archives/077.htm

Colorado4Wheel
08-31-2010, 21:00
Before you get all disappointed in your purchase, why not try the dies? RCBS makes some quality equipment, although I too have heard negatives about their die set in 357 SIG.

I would size a case and seat a bullet, sans primer and powder. Give it a bench press test to see if you get any measurable set back. If you cannot press the bullet further into the case and measure any before/after difference, the sizing die is good to go.

THere you go using common sence on a forum. Carefull you might become a outcast if you keep it up.

unclebob
08-31-2010, 21:12

If you do get set back take .001 to .002 off the expander ball and you should be good too go. If it doesn't work you are only out $10.
A lot of people buy the Lee dies just because they are cheaper. In a lot of cases there isn't anything wrong with them. They are just cheaper than a lot of other dies.

CitizenOfDreams
08-31-2010, 21:22
So these will work properly? I assumed they would when I bought them, but maybe I spent to much time in front of the PC and not enough time in front of the press this weekend?

I don't reload 357Sig so I cannot vouch for it personally, but I would reasonably expect RCBS dies to work properly if you do your part (i.e. adjusting the dies).

And yes, you are spending too much time on the forum instead of simply trying your dies and see if they work. :wavey:

trlcavscout
08-31-2010, 21:26

Ok so I understand most of that :supergrin: So no crimp? How do I set that die up to seat but not crimp? I will try and figure this out. And here is the load I want to start with, any input?

124 HBFP berrys
6.0 gr unique
federal SP primer

trlcavscout
08-31-2010, 22:08

Ok I tried it and I have to push pretty hard to get movement. So I compared it to a crimped 9mm test round and its about the same force needed to push it in. So I am ok with it.

If you do get set back take .001 to .002 off the expander ball and you should be good too go. If it doesn't work you are only out $10.
A lot of people buy the Lee dies just because they are cheaper. In a lot of cases there isn't anything wrong with them. They are just cheaper than a lot of other dies.

I will try that and see if it makes it better.

I don't reload 357Sig so I cannot vouch for it personally, but I would reasonably expect RCBS dies to work properly if you do your part (i.e. adjusting the dies).

And yes, you are spending too much time on the forum instead of simply trying your dies and see if they work. :wavey:

I just dont have enough 357 brass yet (only have like 100 pieces), I loaded all my 9mm brass, so until I get more brass I am just toying for now so I have it down when I get more brass.

Thanks for the help!

OkieGunNut
08-31-2010, 23:50
I have loaded and fired many thousands of 357Sig loads using the RCBS dies. You will need to chamfer the inside edge of the case neck to help the bullet ease into the case, but, you only do it once. If you feel you need to crimp I suggest the Lee Bottle Neck Pistol Factory Crimp Die.
If you google 357sig loading data there is a world of info out there.

Uncle Don
09-01-2010, 06:40
I load allot of 357 Sig and my dies happen to be Lee, but RCBS dies wouldn't scare me a bit. I do use Lee's factory crimp die - I don't crimp with the seater die and then set the crimp die to just barely apply pressure. Out of nearly 4k now, I haven't had a single case of setback.

PCJim
09-01-2010, 10:13
THere you go using common sence on a forum. Carefull you might become a outcast if you keep it up.

Ah, shucks, Steve. I suppose as long as I continue to use words like "measure", I know I can count on your support and inclusion in the forum. :supergrin:

fredj338
09-01-2010, 13:54
Isn't the issue with the RCBS that it doesn't size small enough in the neck? Why not just get a better sizing die and be done with it.
The biggest issue w/ the RCBS dies is the sizer pushes the shoulder back too far resulting in improper headspace. That was the issue w/ older dies, maybe the new ones have been fixed? The other part is they treat the round like a rifle w/ no expander. bad move IMO, especially w/ plated bullets. You have to chamfer the case mouth to keep the plating form scraping &/or collapsing the neck. Not only is that time consuming, but you also remove another a bit of case neck that you really kinda need for proper taper crimp. The LFCD is not needed but does work.
Try the dies, setup is critical, & see if you get proper sizing & maybe you can seat plated bullets better than I could w/o a case mouth flare.:dunno: You can always e-bay them & get a Lee set or go porche & get the Dillon carbide.

dudel
09-01-2010, 17:42
One thing about RCBS, THEY STAND BEHIND WHAT THEY SELL. If it doesn't work; they make it right. They are right up there with Dillon in terms of customer service. Try it and call them if you can't make it work. I'd check the part numbers on the dies; not just on the box. Wouldn't be the first time a set of dies didn't match the box.

No offense, but from your post it sounds like you may be a bit light on the experience side.

fredj338
09-02-2010, 02:13

Funny, they prefer the RCBS dies.:dunno: Read this article on headspace & the 357sig, they DO NOT like the rCBS dies? http://www.realguns.com/archives/001.htm
Man, I can see how a new guy gets confused. Lee dies work well, as do Redding & the very pricey Dillon. The RCBS dies will probably work if set up properly, but chamfering the already short neck isn't exciting me much & since I slightly bell the case to start the bullet, a taper crimp is a must IMO.