Best Laser for my G19... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best Laser for my G19...

silvrevo
09-01-2010, 12:16
Looking more into getting a laser site for the G19.

Seen Crimson Trace and Laser Max. And just seen one at the local gun store that activates from the rail, you push the slide left or right of the barrel for flashing or solid red light.

Im kinda liking the Laser Max as it sits flush into the gun, and dosnt effect the grip and dosnt add girth to the gun itself. Maybe better for holsers.

I did a little search on here for lasers and found some info.

Just thought I would ask here.

Looking for good quality, long lasting, few problems. Easy to work with while not getting coated in gunpoweder residue.

I think the Laser Max is the most expensive at $300+. But that dosnt matter , if its going to be a good additon to my Glock for many years.

Thanks in advacne.

AZBru88
09-01-2010, 12:46
I have CT's on all my carry guns, love them. No internal parts to change. Grip is a little thicker, no holster problems that I've found. I have them on a G26, two 17's, 19C, and a 29. I like the fact that when you grab the gun they are on! No switch to remember! Think of possible situations you might need your gun, you've just been whacked on the head and are on the ground at the ATM. You draw are you going to remember to switch your laser on? Your foggy at night just awakened by a bump in the night, will you remember? Those are the questions that ran through my head when I went with CT's.
Check out the video's (http://www.crimsontrace.com/Home/Videos/tabid/396/Default.aspx) on there website.
The down side if you have small hands they do add a little, not much. Best of luck. Lots of guys are very happy with Lasermax. I think either way you go you will be happy.

silvrevo
09-01-2010, 13:09
After reading a little more,, In the Laser section,,, maybe should have posted there.

Some are having issues witht he Laser max,, fits loose and after a few rounds the slide isnt moving easy and the switch is hard to turn on?

I seen a few CT lasers on ebay new for the g19 for $168.

Now which generation G19 do I have. I bought it new about 4 years ago. Whats the tell tail signs of generation to generation?

Thanks.

Was leaning towards LaserMax,,,, Now Crimson Trace.

bentbiker
09-01-2010, 13:26
Now which generation G19 do I have. I bought it new about 4 years ago. Whats the tell tail signs of generation to generation?

Was leaning towards LaserMax,,,, Now Crimson Trace.
Gen3 has finger grooves and accessory rail; that should be you.

Make sure you check out the green lasers. Up to 50 times brighter.

rsxr22
09-01-2010, 13:28
i like the CT's as well, but it makes the grip kind of large for me

silvrevo
09-01-2010, 13:49
I seen that about the green lasers,,, also they eat the battery about 4 times as fast.

Btw,,, what is the battery life in these CT and LM red lasers?

Wooderson76
09-01-2010, 13:52
Crimson traces are nice...a little over priced but nice.Havnt had or heard of problems with them

Havasu
09-01-2010, 14:09
I have a LaserLite on my G19 and I love it. It replaces the rear sight, but still leaves you with iron sights. It has on and flash modes. I have put at least 1K rounds through the gun since install and there are no problems. Since most holsters don't extend to the rear sight there are no issues there.

silvrevo
09-01-2010, 14:11
I have the stock night sites from Glock,,, So dont want to lose them.

Guess its between the Crismson and the LaserMax?

Just the price of the LaserMax is about the price of a used glock....

bentbiker
09-01-2010, 14:51
I seen that about the green lasers,,, also they eat the battery about 4 times as fast.

Btw,,, what is the battery life in these CT and LM red lasers?
I'm confused; if you don't know the battery life on the CT and LM red lasers, how can you say that green lasers "eat the battery about 4 times as fast?" See http://www.viridiangreenlaser.com/advantage/productcomparison/ for a comparison.

mikegun
09-01-2010, 16:08
I have a LaserLite on my G19 and I love it. It replaces the rear sight, but still leaves you with iron sights. It has on and flash modes. I have put at least 1K rounds through the gun since install and there are no problems. Since most holsters don't extend to the rear sight there are no issues there.

i changed from crimson trace and lasermax to laserlite on my glocks and love then, fits any holster, tough and work well, a lot cheaper as well

sniper350
09-01-2010, 16:24
The best Laser I found ( and now testing ) IS C.T. "Laserguard" for the G19.

I have had people pick up my G19 and not even notice the laser right away.
Better than any grip laser in that it is completely IN-LINE with the bore of the Pistol. Has a hidden, but accessable master switch, so you can turn off the laser in a matter of seconds. It does interfere with most holsters BUT , Desantis makes a model that is made especially for the C.T. Laserguard.

I don't like the kind of laser that doubles as a Guide Rod ......... as I have seen them fall apart inside the Glock and completely jam up the gun. It took me 10 minutes to get the pistol apart ......and the batteries & spring and other small parts just fell all over the Range floor.

The Laserguard holds zero .....after 300 rounds. So far I have no complaints about this product.

JF.

glockfanbob
09-01-2010, 16:51
I have a lasermax on my g29sf. In bright day light its all but useless. Once they make green guide rod lasermax's I'm all over it. Any other times besides bright daylight the current lasermax is pretty good.

For what it's worth I previously owned a crimson trace laser on my old g23 and it added not only girth in the grip but also the laser "bulb" stuck out to the point of printing (I carry IWB 12:30-1).

RayB
09-01-2010, 17:11
We've owned several laser designators and currently have two LaserMax guide rod lasers and one LaserMax UNI-GREEN. No, I do not work for LaserMax... I bought the guide rod units from MidwayUSA, and received the UNI-GREEN as a gift.

Based on my great experience with the LaserMax guide rod unit in my G21, when I bought Judy her new G19, I installed a LaserMax guide rod laser immediately. The new gun had some fail-to-feed issues, and immediately some GT members said, Lose the LaserMax! It turned out to be one of five new magazines--an OEM stock part! :whistling:

But I don't question that defects surface--with any product. I've seen refurbished Crimson Trace Laser Grips for sale at places like MidwayUSA... A recent GT post described two-in-a-row failures with new Viridian X5Ls... Another GT member couldn't get the laser in his new SureFire X400 aligned, and had to return it... It happens... :crying:

At any rate, our own experience with LaserMax has been excellent and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another! :thumbsup:

I do like the Crimson Trace Laserguard, but it does preclude the use of a weapon light.

By the bye, green lasers do consume far more energy than comparable red lasers do--it's just a fact. As I understand it, the current green lasers are actually based on infrared lasers, which are re-modulated into the green wavelengths of light; and that requires more circuitry and greater power consumption (they also have a narrower range of operation temperature-wise). My LaserMax UNI-GREEN is far hungrier than our LaserMax guide rod lasers are! :shocked:

As for the Viridian, it's designed to carry much larger power cells than say, the UNI-GREEN does; which is why it's also much bigger!

Still, if I were limited to one laser, for my own purposes, I'd go green! :supergrin:

--Ray

MerlinX
09-01-2010, 17:24
I love my laserlyte... just replace the rear sight and your good to go. Compact so it fits in holsters and it has a pulse setting to conserve batteries. These pics are of it in my Comp-Tac IWB holster
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q37/Merlin-X/Glock30100.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q37/Merlin-X/Glock30099.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q37/Merlin-X/Glock30097.jpg
And they are surprisingly cheap in comparison.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q37/Merlin-X/036.jpg

crzn01
09-01-2010, 17:27
This is the one I have on my G23. It will fit the G 19. I didn't get mine from Crimson Trace because of the price but I did get it on the internet from a gun dealer for $262.00. I noticed someone on here has one for sale.

http://www.crimsontrace.com/Home/Products/GLOCK/LG417/tabid/421/Default.aspx

This one has an on / off switch on one side of the grip. I turn my off during the day & turn it on after dark just in case.

MrSmoofy
09-01-2010, 17:43
I looked at the LaserMax and CT for my G27 which I carry.

I went with CT for the following reasons. The CT is grip activated. The LaserMax is a switch. When I'm in a fight for my life situation I don't want to have to think about turning it on when I draw my weapon it will be on with the CT and as soon as I see the red dot on the BG I'm gonna start pulling the trigger and won't have to worry about turning on the laser.

Havasu
09-02-2010, 00:23
The October issue of Guns and Ammo (just came today) has an article that compares all these lasers. It should be a good read for anyone considering one.

RayB
09-02-2010, 03:27
Activating the laser is a bit like flipping the safety off, or switching on a weapon light; you practice till you do it quickly, smoothly, and without thinking about it.

I prefer deliberate activation on a bedside, or home defense weapon.

But instant-on is a good thing on a CCW or BUG! No question about it!

For certain tactical applications the green laser's easily traceable beam might be problematic... We use green lasers in astronomy to point out targets in the sky...

But for home use, I love the 24-hour visibility of the green laser! I also prefer the pulsing beam.

The idea behind the pulsing beam is exactly the reason that aircraft anti-collision and emergency vehicle lights flash--they're noticed more quickly; plus, they stand out better on a complex background. Our peripheral vision picks up a moving or blinking object faster--it's designed that way. It can also be argued that the pulsing dot is more intimidating to the target... In the case of laser designators, it also greatly extends battery life, which on my UNI-GREEN, ain't a bad thing!

--Ray

silvrevo
09-02-2010, 10:20
Went looking last night , after getting on Ebay and pricing out.

Ebay has the Model LG-619 Crimson trace for $167 free shipping, lifetime batteries. msrp is $229.

Also I guess the newer model the LG - 417 for $237...msrp of $329.

Cabells said the 417 was like $369? Didnt have any price on the boxx, and I waited 35 mins. to be helped out. Other Gun Range didnt have any in stock. But they did have a rear mount LaserMax on a Model 19 Glock...Kinda looked like it came with a duck tail?

I think Im going to get the 619, as it has the back of the grip activation. Unless the 417 is a better unit?

Im not going for the Rod Guide one, as I have read many issues with them,,, plus it has to get dirty as crap being so close to the barrel end.

Wish I could get to that issue of Guns and Ammo,,, But when Im the buying hunt,,, I like to strike,,, hehe.

I think I will be happy with either model Crimson Trace.

Thanks Guys!

MrSmoofy
09-02-2010, 10:32
I have the CT grip on my G27. I paid $168 NEW at the last local gun show for it. I had shopped around first and the cheapest was from a local gun store that would of had to order it and said he would charge me $200 for it.

silvrevo
09-02-2010, 12:18
I went ahead and got the crimson trace 417,, guess its the newer thinner model.

$236 shipped on Ebay...

Cant wait.

Cole125
09-02-2010, 20:11
CT grips are the best you can get for your G19, IMO. As stated before no switch to remember to turn on.

supercrew
09-02-2010, 20:40
I got really excited about ordering the CT LG-417 but then find that the grips will not work on my 2nd gen G19. They apparently require the finger grips to mount.

That leaves me with the LG-619. I've got no problem with the added width but I'm really wondering if the pin mounting will secure the laser grips well enough. Will the mounting pin hole eventually loosen up causing the sight to go out of alignment? Will the grips remain tight and not move around on the frame after holster carry?

If you've had any issues with your 619's let me know.

Thanks.

RichM
09-05-2010, 20:18
Re: Activating the switch on a Lasermax

I usually carry a G26 in a Crossbreed SuperTuck.

I made a slight change to the CBST to turn the Lasermax on during the draw if I choose to. (About 1/16" indentation at the edge of the Kydex.)
Edit: I should mention that I did the same thing to my MTAC and it works just as well.

If I don't want it to turn on, I draw straight up while 'slightly' angling the grip toward my body. That negated my only concern with the Lasermax (Fiddling with it to turn it on during a stressful situation.)

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p213/hcir100/Guns/IMG_2124xxxx.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p213/hcir100/Guns/IMG_2124_cu_2.jpg

RayB
09-06-2010, 04:29
...I made a slight change to the CBST to turn the Lasermax on during the draw if I choose to...

That negated my only concern with the Lasermax (Fiddling with it to turn it on during a stressful situation.)

Clever man! :thumbsup:

I've often thought LaserMax should team up with a holster manufacturer, and come up with an alternate-optional activation switch to work with the new line of holsters, to offer an auto-on feature for LaserMax-equipped Glocks, and possibly other guns. :shocked:

In fact, I suggested this in an earlier thread... :whistling:

--Ray

P.S. Anyway, great minds... ;)

Bill Lumberg
09-06-2010, 06:15
For glocks, it's the lasermax internal. For revolvers, it's crimson trace.

KAK
09-06-2010, 09:39
I like the TLR-2 but now I wish I would have just got a TLR-1. Lasers really are not that great.

mikegun
09-06-2010, 15:07
Looking more into getting a laser site for the G19.

Seen Crimson Trace and Laser Max. And just seen one at the local gun store that activates from the rail, you push the slide left or right of the barrel for flashing or solid red light.

Im kinda liking the Laser Max as it sits flush into the gun, and dosnt effect the grip and dosnt add girth to the gun itself. Maybe better for holsers.

I did a little search on here for lasers and found some info.

Just thought I would ask here.

Looking for good quality, long lasting, few problems. Easy to work with while not getting coated in gunpoweder residue.

I think the Laser Max is the most expensive at $300+. But that dosnt matter , if its going to be a good additon to my Glock for many years.

Thanks in advacne.

think about having to turn the LM on each time u draw the gun, understress, not a good thing, also, i had a LM and it caused my gun to jam, crimson trace was to thick, i finially got a laserlyte, no holster prob, activate w same hand u draw with, thumb, cheapest of the three, i am very happy with it....on my g23

Bill Lumberg
09-07-2010, 12:27
There is no additional movement necessary to activate the lasermax. If you use a proper grip and index, upon drawing your fingertip is right on the switch.

sniper350
09-07-2010, 13:09
With the C.T. "Laserguard" the laser is activated all the time ........just squeeze the small button on front of the grip & the laser comes on. Relax your grip just a little and the laser will go off. No added girth to your grip panels........... in line with bore of the pistol. Has a hidden master switch if you want the laser deactivated. And this is the most important reason : IT will NOT in any way interfere with the operation of the weapon.......no matter how small the probability. I have personally seen the Lasmax Jam a Glock 34 to the point it could not be used until it was carefully disassembled which took about 5 minutes ....only to find the Lasmax in pieces falling all over the place.

JF.

Ryobi
09-07-2010, 13:34
We t and e'd. Lasermax with glock 22 and 23's and were unable to induce a breakage or malfunction across multiple guns and many rouds. Lasermax won on ergonimics, but both lasermax and crimson trace proved to be reliable and durable.

sniper350
09-07-2010, 14:28
Maybe you need to be a firearms instructor as I am where you see pistols put through tough combat courses everyday. Most of the courses we shoot heat the pistol's slide to the point it is sometimes hard to achieve a "touch [point" because the slide is so hot !
WE don't baby our self-defense pistols .......if they can't stand the "heat" in the kitchen then they don't belong on the combat range ....move over to target range and punch holes in paper. I have personally seen a Laser max fall apart .......and since then I don't allow my students to show up for practice sessions with one installed ..........one potentially "dead" person was enough for me .....how about you ????

JF.

Ryobi
09-07-2010, 15:26
Perhaps I should have noted that our eval was done by police officers on indoor and outdoor ranges, and that I am a law enforcement firearms instructor. I appreciate your sharing your experience on the issue, as I have mine.

hikerpaddler
09-07-2010, 18:58
I am a police firearms instructor. We tested ct and lasermax, and bothe were solid, but lasermax came out on top for ease of deployment. Our evaluation was for plainclothes or covert use. Bottom line is, only special teams really benefit from a laser, and we use rail mounted (TLR) for that. But if we began issuing for plainclothes for some reason, it'd be lasermax internal for us.

RayB
09-07-2010, 20:56
Judy's G19 and my G21 have thousands of rounds on their respective LaserMax units, using all manner of ammo, with no product failures at all.

The unit in my G21 occasionally turns itself on during firing, which is NBD to me. The unit in Judy's G19 has been flawless.

The accuracy of both units was great, right out of the box. If your trigger control is good, with a little practice, you can center-punch your targets with boring predictability.

The fact is, after the rigorous field testing of both lasers in both guns, we generally pop the OEM guide rods back in for range practice, as good old fashioned marksmanship's still where the fun's at!

Last year, I replaced recoil springs and battery caps as a maintenance protocol, but not because any component had failed.

The battery life is outstanding!

While the LaserMax guide rod units are not overly complicated, they're not idiot-proof either. If you have no experience or mechanical skills, you may struggle with the initial installation. I did not find it difficult, but I'm used to assembling things, and paying attention to details.

The routine removal and reinstallation of the LaserMax guide rod units is simple enough, but it's also not idiot-proof. There is a specific way to install the unit, and if you get that right, you shouldn't have any problems; we never have. :dunno:

That's my first-hand experience with our LaserMax units, in our guns, over thousands of rounds fired. ;)

If I were to buy another Glock, I wouldn't hesitate to add another LaserMax guide rod laser to it. :thumbsup:

Should LaserMax ever develop a green guide rod laser, I'll be first in line! :supergrin:

By the bye, for all the press Crimson Trace gets at Glock Talk, I'd like to see them buy add space here. :whistling:

--Ray

dudel
09-12-2010, 06:29
I have CT's on all my carry guns, love them. .

To me, another plus of the CT, is that the batteries are easier to find.

AZBru88
09-12-2010, 07:09
To me, another plus of the CT, is that the batteries are easier to find.
No joke just picked up 2 3pks of them for $2 at the 99 cent store. Had bought some at Wally World also for $2.30 a piece. Easy to find, and a few other manufacturers are using them too.