Home Defense and Children [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Home Defense and Children

lawboy
09-01-2010, 13:23
Mas,

Thank you for your contributions to this site. Your knowledge is greatly appreciated.

I own a home with a split-bedroom layout (single story, master suite on one end of the home, kids' bedrooms on the other). If the proverbial bump in the night were to occur, my first priority would of course be the children. What would be the best method for securing the children, assuming the "bump" would be in between my bedroom and theirs? How would I go about securing the kids? What would be the best tool in order to do so (pistol, rifle, shotgun) if I have to cross through the entire house to get to the kids?

Thanks in advance.

Mas Ayoob
09-02-2010, 05:00
Lawboy, you didn't mention the kids' age, but if they're old enough and responsible enough, one option is to equip their rooms with solid, inside locking doors and an intercom system. If you believe the home's security has been breeched, awaken the kids via the intercom and tell them to lock their doors and take cover.

If you need to move, you'll be best served with a handgun in my opinion: it'll leave one hand free to operate flashlight, light switches, phone, etc., or carry a baby back to the Safe Room, which is usually the master bedroom.

Strongly consider having body armor in your bedroom, a Good Thing to be able to throw on quickly if you have to move through a home that may now contain armed intruders. It amazes me how many people keep lethal weapons at bedside because they recognize that criminals with guns could shoot at them during a home invasion, but consider body armor -- designed to stop that same criminal gunfire -- to be somehow paranoid.

Congratulations for planning wisely ahead of time,
Mas

lawboy
09-02-2010, 08:05
Thank you for your quick reply and suggestions, sir.