Pill and Battery question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Pill and Battery question

missing
09-01-2010, 17:54
Question #1, How often should I rotate out the various pills and meds in my truck first aid kit. Obviously when they hit the expiration date but I'm wondering if the repeated heating and freezing from being inside the vehicle will degrade them sooner.

Question #2, Pretty much the same but reference batterys, I keep them out if my radio, nods, ect and in a seperat baggie, but will they degrade faster being in vehicle with temp changes?

JC Refuge
09-01-2010, 19:06
Good questions. I did some quick research to confirm my own feelings on these ...

1. Meds are not to be relied upon generally for longer than a year in a car, exposed to big temperature swings--and especially to heat. Some medicinals will of course be less affected than others. I would suggest looking at exactly what you have in your vehicle in the way of meds and do a little internet sleuthing (or even try asking your pharmacist) on each particular item.

2. So too there are a lot of different battery types out there. To select a couple of the most common types you might use ... I understand that Li-ion batteries are designed to operate and store in a wide temperature range for up to 10 years. Alkaline batteries are also pretty reliable in a wide range of conditions and they have a good shelf life. However, higher temperatures do shorten the battery life of alkalines.

I think it's wise to plan on swapping out alkaline batteries every 12-18 months or at least test them periodically. You can pick up a battery tester for next to nothing at a local hardware store.

Last comment--it's not a bad idea to store batteries, meds, and some foods in a cooler in your vehicle. Open the cooler when the ambient temperature is at room temp or lower. Close it when warmer with the aim of trying to keep the highest temps in the vehicle from impacting the contents of your cooler.

Of course, that's not a store and forget kind of solution--it's pretty high maintenance. Another alternative would be to have a messenger bag or some such thing with these items in them (along with other items ... your CCW, smokes, bag lunch, wallet, first aid kit, phone, laptop, high school yearbook :supergrin:, whatever you want handy most of the time. Get used to moving it in and out of the vehicle with you. Yep--a manbag. See: Maxpedition.

missing
09-02-2010, 18:18
Thank You for the quick reply and info.