308 Blues Part II - Has anyone had Lee 'Customize' a die before? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 308 Blues Part II - Has anyone had Lee 'Customize' a die before?

DoctaGlockta
09-02-2010, 06:58
So I continue to struggle with getting the last 1/16 or so of my 308 cases to resize so they can fit properly into my case gauge. So I call up Lee and talk to a gentlemen there about it. He tells me that they can customize the die for no cost. I was surprised to hear that he didn't want a sample of the case to see how the last bit wasn't being resized.

Since these cases will be going into the same gun they were fired out of I'm not too worried about them chambering. However if I want to use them in another I want to be confident they will chamber. I'm probably being too OCD about this but I say better safe than sorry.

I told him I was thinking about getting a small base resizing die but he told me that it wouldn't solve my problem.

I'm using fired 308 brass, Lee dies and a Lee classic cast to resize.

Anyways input from you gentlemen would be appreciated. Thinking of sending off the die just to see what they actually customize.

Art

creophus
09-02-2010, 07:16
I see this is part II so I know this may have been covered already...but....what headstamp is on the brass you're using?

I've had bad experience with Federal Gold Metal Match brass not chambering properly in my gun. I use Hornady and Winchester brass with no problem.

I don't bother with case guages and am only concerned about how they chamber in my gun(s). Speaking of which, what gun are you using these in?

Colorado4Wheel
09-02-2010, 07:36
Are you setting the sizing die to take all the slack out off the toolhead? Not just touching when the toolhead doesnt have a case in the shellholder.

DoctaGlockta
09-02-2010, 08:51
I see this is part II so I know this may have been covered already...but....what headstamp is on the brass you're using?

I've had bad experience with Federal Gold Metal Match brass not chambering properly in my gun. I use Hornady and Winchester brass with no problem.

I don't bother with case guages and am only concerned about how they chamber in my gun(s). Speaking of which, what gun are you using these in?
Mixed - mostly LC. Fired in a PTR-91.

DoctaGlockta
09-02-2010, 08:55
Are you setting the sizing die to take all the slack out off the toolhead? Not just touching when the toolhead doesnt have a case in the shellholder.

Yep gave it an extra 1/4 turn after touching the shell holder.

I think I might see if I move it to my LNL-AP what will happen. The reason I bought the Lee Classic Cast was I got tired of arm wrestling my LNL to get these cases resized. I'll do the partial resize on the LCC and then move to the LNL. Still doesn't really solve the problem but perhaps I can figure out if the press/shellholder on the Lee is the issue.

Thanks for the reply.

Colorado4Wheel
09-02-2010, 09:03
Yep gave it an extra 1/4 turn after touching the shell holder.

It's not "add a 1/4 turn". That might be right but I don't think it's enough.

Lower the handle. Lower the die till it touch's the shellplate and raises the shellplate and reach's a point of being obviously tight when touching the shellplate. Then back the die off a little at a time till it's not longer tight but just barely past that point. LCT has plenty of slack in the toolhead that may need to be taken out.

DoctaGlockta
09-02-2010, 09:17
It's not "add a 1/4 turn". That might be right but I don't think it's enough.

Lower the handle. Lower the die till it touch's the shellplate and raises the shellplate and reach's a point of being obviously tight when touching the shellplate. Then back the die off a little at a time till it's not longer tight but just barely past that point. LCT has plenty of slack in the toolhead that may need to be taken out.

Will try that. I remember the fellow from Lee telling me that I would never get that last 1/16 sized because of the shell holder. That didn't make sense to me.

Thanks Steve.

GioaJack
09-02-2010, 09:31
I'm a bit perplexed why Lee told you a small base die wouldn't solve your problem. I understand that newer AR's in particular have looser chambers than in the past, (in the '70's you pretty much used small base dies or you didn't shoot) but it is still not uncommon for autoloaders to require sizing down for reliable chambering.

Obviously the problem doesn't normally arise with a bolt action since you have the force provided by the camming action. Autoloaders can be as temperamental as Paris Hilton when she realizes she left her cocaine at home.

But what do I know, maybe you just have a bad gun... I'll give ya fifty bucks for it.

Jack

creophus
09-02-2010, 09:42
Mixed - mostly LC. Fired in a PTR-91.

In that case I'd ignore the case guage and fire them as long as they chambered in my gun.

n2extrm
09-02-2010, 09:54
I have only used Dillon, RCBS and Redding dies for 308. I have NEVER had a problem with them not resizing the case enough to fit the case gauge. I also notice you never seem to see these thread with those brands of dies. If what Steve suggested doesn't help,I would get a set of Reddings like these.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=270734

Or a sizing die from them be it small base, FS or body what ever and try that. I don't understand the appeal of the Lee dies, they are $10 cheaper then the comparable Redding dies. Yes I know the Lee has a seprate crimp, the world will not stop turning if you seat and crimp in one shot. I do get the whole accuracy idea, but if you are loading for an autoloader, then you are probably not going to see any gain. Just my thoughts. Not picking on anyone or Lee.

Colorado4Wheel
09-02-2010, 12:18
Will try that. I remember the fellow from Lee telling me that I would never get that last 1/16 sized because of the shell holder. That didn't make sense to me.

Thanks Steve.

The last 1/16" is not touched by the sizing die, BUT it is pulled into spec by the sizing die because sizing dies are under the finally sizing spec and that pulls the lower part into spec.

DoctaGlockta
09-02-2010, 12:51
The last 1/16" is not touched by the sizing die, BUT it is pulled into spec by the sizing die because sizing dies are under the finally sizing spec and that pulls the lower part into spec.
Ok. But I'll need to read that again after a few beers. Thanks.

GioaJack
09-02-2010, 12:54
Ok. But I'll need to read that again after a few beers. Thanks.

I thought I was still in a drug induced fog... apparently not. :whistling:

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
09-02-2010, 13:08
Is it really that hard to understand?

Sizing dies size under SAMMI spec. So while the bottom is being pulled under spec the portion just next to it gets pulled into spec (but not under spec).

It's not that complicated.

GioaJack
09-02-2010, 13:18
Is it really that hard to understand?

Sizing dies size under SAMMI spec. So while the bottom is being pulled under spec the portion just next to it gets pulled into spec (but not under spec).

It's not that complicated.

Has the President or Pelosi hijacked Little Stevie's screen name? They keep coming back to explain that what they originally meant to explained in a fashion that precluded another explanation which was necessitated to explain the first explanation and all subsequent explanations intended to clarify the original explanation which on hindsight may have been less that self-explanatory.

I certainly hope that explanation has cleared up any confusion. :dunno:

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
09-02-2010, 13:30
If you pulled out some dial calipers and actually measured what the die is doing it wouldn't seem so complicated. I know that's a little much to expect around here for some people. Try it and it will make sence. Measure the diameter of the inside die and then the diameter of a sized case. Compare the two and then look at sammi spec. If thats too hard then please don't try and chew gum and walk at the same time. You might hurt yourself.

GioaJack
09-02-2010, 13:37
No fear of injuring myself, gum sticks to my dentures so I avoid it. Redman chewing tobacco on the other hand posses no problems. (Don't stand close to me the next time at the range.)

Oh, wait, I'm sorry, you don't get to the range that much... all that measuring keeps you pretty busy. :supergrin:

Jack

NW-Warlord
09-02-2010, 13:50
I am curious. I have heard (shooting range conversation) that PTR started using 16 flutes in their chambers, to minimize the destruction of the brass (I think HK was using 8 flutes). Since this is a new production gun, does it have 16 flutes? What does the brass look like after being fired? I am looking into getting a PTR, but I dont want to wreck my brass.

DoctaGlockta
09-02-2010, 13:56
I am curious. I have heard (shooting range conversation) that PTR started using 16 flutes in their chambers, to minimize the destruction of the brass (I think HK was using 8 flutes). Since this is a new production gun, does it have 16 flutes? What does the brass look like after being fired? I am looking into getting a PTR, but I dont want to wreck my brass.

Gun is new production. 16 Flutes. The brass looks like hell after it has been fired. And it gets thrown a good 60-75 feet at the 1:00 position.

I ended up purchasing a port buffer which reduces the damage. Still throws it a country mile away though.

I dig the gun. But it is my first 308 MBR.

DoctaGlockta
09-23-2010, 17:55
Finally mailed off the die today along with a piece of brass showing the problem. Will report back after I hear from Mr. Lee. I hope none of you have lost any sleep over this.