? about case lube [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : ? about case lube

EL_NinO619
09-02-2010, 12:09
So i just prepped about 150 .223 brass and right now i am using RCBS lube and lube pad . I never had issue with it until i started loading large quantity's ( Prior i would prep about 40-60 .308) It's starting to get real messy and gunking up my die. So i have been thinking about switchin to Hornady's One shot spray lube. Has any one used it, and with good results? Or any thing else that does not become so messy in large quantity's. Thanks

GioaJack
09-02-2010, 12:23
Although I've never used One Shot or similar products I heard of very good results with it in all but some of the bigger cases.

A common mistake with using a lube pad is the old adage that if a little is good more must be better. While true when dealing with conjugal delights it's not true when dealing with case lube. A very, very little goes a long way.

It's not necessary to have a visible coating of lube on the pad, or even on the case for that matter and if used judiciously a tube of lube will actually last for years and years.

This is not to dissuade you from trying the One Shot, it it's easier and cleaner why not?

Jack

PCJim
09-02-2010, 12:27
I use Dillon's spray lube - spread the cases out on a cookie sheet and spray the lot. Wait 5 minutes and resize them. After resizing/depriming, retumble them to remove the lube. It won't take long. Be sure your flash holes are clear - I use a universal depriming die in stage 1 of the 550b for this purpose.

HOS is supposed to be OK. The old timers on this board will come along shortly (after their afternoon naps!) and probably advise you to use Imperial Wax.

fredj338
09-02-2010, 12:43
If it's gunking up your die, you are using too much. the cases should have a slight film, not be "wet". As Jack noted, a little goes along way. I have the same tube of RCBS for about 15yrs now.
OneSHot works, if you follow directions carefully. I like it for my 308 in the 550B. then I don't have to remove lube.

robin303
09-02-2010, 14:00
I have gone through two cans of the Hornady's One Shot. Good stuff. Last week I ran out and dug up my Lee lube that came with my press and put about half in a spray bottle and half a bottle of Isopropyl Alcohol and it works great also.

Daryl in Az
09-02-2010, 14:14
Try Imperial Sizing Die Wax. You can order it from Midway, or any number of other suppliers if you can't find it locally. One small tin will last for years, and a couple might last a lifetime.

Seriously, this stuff is the slickest stuff I've ever used, and it cleans off very easily.

Just open the tin, and rub your index finger across the wax, then around the shoulder and top of the case before resizing. It's quicker than it sounds, and it wipes off almost effortlessly.

I used sprays, lube pads, and all sorts of other stuff before a friend turned me onto this stuff, and I'll never use the other again.

Daryl

fredj338
09-02-2010, 14:23
Try Imperial Sizing Die Wax. You can order it from Midway, or any number of other suppliers if you can't find it locally. One small tin will last for years, and a couple might last a lifetime.

Seriously, this stuff is the slickest stuff I've ever used, and it cleans off very easily.

Just open the tin, and rub your index finger across the wax, then around the shoulder and top of the case before resizing. It's quicker than it sounds, and it wipes off almost effortlessly.

I used sprays, lube pads, and all sorts of other stuff before a friend turned me onto this stuff, and I'll never use the other again.

Daryl
It's great stuff. I use it for heavy duty sizing jobs like case forming or resizing jacketed bullets.

AZBru88
09-02-2010, 14:27
When I do large amount of 223 I use Imperial wax. Take a dab out of the tin, rub it into the palms of both hands, run my hands through 500-750 rounds of brass in a large stainless mixing bowl! If you feel the die start to get sticky, a little bit on your finger tips and rub the neck of the next round.
I have used Dillon spray lube, works OK. The old cookie sheet trick works the best with it (like you where told above).
My lube pad has been on my bench for years, still have a tube of lube sitting on it. Don't know why I keep it....memories I guess!
Best of luck, either spray or wax works great....Bru
PS the nap was great!:tongueout:

EL_NinO619
09-02-2010, 14:33
I do use very little lube. Its just the large amount of brass i am re sizing. It's not gumming up my dies where i cant use them, its just messy. Also when i use barley any lube it gets quite hard to pull the handle on my press. I'm using Frankford Arsenal dry mica for the necks, should i try something else? Another ? how often do you clean your dies, Such as take them apart and wipe out the internals. I will post pic of lubed case.

Thanks Justin.

EL_NinO619
09-02-2010, 15:03
Pretty impossible to see lube on case. But that is how much lube i put on pad and then spread around. Can heat affect the lube, Since i live in Sunny San Diego and i am forced to load in shed outside.:steamed: :crying:http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac135/Justin_Moreau/EL_NinO619/kdk_1291.jpg?t=1283461310http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac135/Justin_Moreau/EL_NinO619/kdk_1292.jpg?t=1283461339

Daryl in Az
09-02-2010, 18:32
EL,

Back in the days when I used a lube pad, I would lube it the day before I wanted to re-size the cases, and let it sit overnight. That way it'd soak into the pad a bit, and keep it from overlubing the cases.

That was the best way I ever found to use a lube pad.

Daryl

degoodman
09-02-2010, 20:16
to echo what's been said to this point. A 2 ounce tin of imperial size die wax will last you 50,000 rounds or more. Spend the $7, then throw the rest of your lube products and methods away (with regard to reloading anyway)

My method is to lightly drag a finger across the tin, and hit the neck, shoulder and body of the first 4 cases. then after that I hit the neck and shoulder of every 4th case. No dents. No mess, no real clean up on the cases after loading.

D. Manley
09-02-2010, 20:37
I pretty much agree with the above. For me, Hornady One Shot for pistols (Dillon's is OK too, I like HOS) and for rifle, Imperial Sizing Wax.

Zombie Steve
09-02-2010, 22:08
As for One Shot, it's pretty handy for most applications. Angle your spray and some will get in the neck (it won't affect the powder or primers). Let it dry for a minute and go to town. I like it.

:thumbsup:

EL_NinO619
09-03-2010, 15:46
Well thanks for the info, i will give both a shot....:cheers:Never mind i know everything and you all are wrong. As the Mad scientist would say..:shocked::shakehead:

AZBru88
09-03-2010, 16:46
Well thanks for the info, i will give both a shoot....:cheers:Never mind i know everything and you all are wrong. As the Mad scientist would say..:shocked::shakehead:
:rofl:Man this forum sure gives out some good laughs!:rofl:Think he spent to much time in the lab and not socializing with real people!:whistling:

EL_NinO619
09-03-2010, 18:15
:dunno::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1glockfan23
09-03-2010, 18:20
Switched to One Shot about a year ago and have had great results. Saves time, less mess, allows me to resize with less force.

The Machinist
09-03-2010, 23:43
I'm a newbie reloader, but I did recently resize nearly 900 pieces of .223 brass using Hornady One Shot without so much as a single issue. I'm sold. :supergrin:

DoctaGlockta
09-04-2010, 08:27
One shot for pistol if needed but for rifle I now use a hornady lube product I think it is called Unique. Resizing rifle cartridges is soooooo much better with a regular lube product.

njl
09-04-2010, 09:07
I'm thinking about trying to do some .30 carbine and .223 soon. So far, all I've reloaded are 9mm and .45acp...and for those, I rub a little lanolin on my right thumb and index finger and roll the brass on the way to station 1.

In addition to the lanolin, I have a bottle of Dillon's case lube (which AFAIK is lanolin in alcohol) and a can of HOS. I've never tried either.

For those doing rifle reloading...which of these products would you recommend?

Some searching suggests the Dillon stuff is better suited for rifle loading...spray some in a big ziplock, add brass, shake, and load?

When you tumble after doing the lube/resize/trim, do you use a dedicated batch of media for lube removal? i.e. will the lube muck up your regular dirty brass cleaning media? Does the lube build up in the media requiring replacing the media more often?

n2extrm
09-04-2010, 09:40
I'm thinking about trying to do some .30 carbine and .223 soon. So far, all I've reloaded are 9mm and .45acp...and for those, I rub a little lanolin on my right thumb and index finger and roll the brass on the way to station 1.

In addition to the lanolin, I have a bottle of Dillon's case lube (which AFAIK is lanolin in alcohol) and a can of HOS. I've never tried either.

For those doing rifle reloading...which of these products would you recommend?

Some searching suggests the Dillon stuff is better suited for rifle loading...spray some in a big ziplock, add brass, shake, and load?

When you tumble after doing the lube/resize/trim, do you use a dedicated batch of media for lube removal? i.e. will the lube muck up your regular dirty brass cleaning media? Does the lube build up in the media requiring replacing the media more often?

I have only used Dillon spray lube. I lay them on a cookie sheet, spray lightly, shake and a second misting. Let them dry and load away. .308, .223, 22-250 and 6mmbr no problems at all. I even use it when neck sizing with redding dies. I use Dillon carbide dies for all my pistol stuff and never lube them. Stuff works great.

I never tumble to remove lube. According to what I have read you do not need to remove the Dillon lube. I take the loaded ammo and give it a wipe as I inspect and place them in their storage boxes. Probably not required but it can't hurt.

I am considering the dry neck lubes for neck sizing but I haven't
had a chance to order them.

EL_NinO619
09-04-2010, 16:51
I use the Frankford arsenal dry lube station thingy, It comes with the brushes. Got it at midway and it works great.$11.00

PCJim
09-05-2010, 06:46
NJL, I keep a separate batch of media for removing the lube from resized/deprimed 223 cases, cob with NuFinish. They get tumbled for appx 15 minutes to remove the lube and shine them up a bit. I wouldn't want any residual lube finding it's way into the chambers to gum them up, attract and hold grit, etc.

I don't see any problem with using your regular dirty case media. I just keep the separate batch because I have plenty on hand.

If you use a progressive press, put a universal depriming die in station one to ensure the flash holes are clear. If using a SS press, you'll have to manually check for blockage. This is best done by looking into the case while holding it above a white, brightly lit background (copy paper on your bench). The contrast of the inside of the dark case against the white paper rapidly shows whether the flash hole is clear.

njl
09-05-2010, 07:30
I already have a Lee universal decapper die. The plan is to setup a tool head with just the caliber specific decapper/resizer die, run the lubed brass through that, measure and trim if needed, tumble, then use a second tool head with universal decapper and all the rest of the regular dies for that caliber to load ammo.

PBKing
09-06-2010, 19:49
Imperial Case Wax for rifle. A little on the fingers goes a long way. Just keep a little on your thumb, index and middle fingers and touch the case where you need the lube. I only lube magnum pistol cases..same way.