Overpenetration with a 12 ga slug [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Overpenetration with a 12 ga slug

vafish
09-02-2010, 12:18
http://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/predator-hunting/articlecontent/8/2010/1177/alaska-police-shoot-bear-injure-bystander

Shot through a bear and hit a bystander 125' away.

Bystander was only bruised.

Would like to know what type of slug it was.

Snowman92D
09-02-2010, 20:14
Tom...I called a buddy on the PD there. It was a Brenneke "Classic Magnum" 2 and 3/4-inch load from an 870 shotgun. As you know, that's a 1 and 1/8-ounce hard alloy slug.

Berto
09-07-2010, 10:05
Perhaps it was a Personal Security bear, sacrificed itself to protect the stoopid bystander.

Snowman92D
09-07-2010, 19:39
Well, it sounded to me like the scene kinda got out of hand. The officers told me there were several gawkers hanging around and the cops on the scene got everyone shoo'd out of the downrange area so they could fire safely. The first shot went through the bear's chest at which point he swapped ends and took off toward an occupied area.

The officer's second shot was an attempt to make a head shot to get the critter anchored. The round perforated the animal's ear, skidded off his noggin and zipped off downrange before striking something hard, then ricocheting off to impact on a bystander's abdomen. The bystander had ignored previous warnings to clear completely out of the area.

The bear collapsed a short distance away from the effects of the first hit. Like with a lot of towns thereabouts, the bigger bears chase the smaller ones out of prime feeding areas in the bush country, so the smaller animals resort to hitting the trash dumps in and around population centers.

vafish
09-08-2010, 11:57
Doesn't really sound like the round over penetrated then if it just skidded off the top of the head.

The guy was pretty lucky the slug ricocheted off something else before he was hit. I guess there isn't much else to see in a small town in Alaska.