Die Selection [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Die Selection

LDO
09-02-2010, 13:02
I would like to start reloading. So far, I've picked up a Hornady LNL AP and have been reading several reloading books and asking lots of questions. I plan to take my time and ease into this. Something I'm doing more for pleasure and as an extension to my love of shooting.

My plan is to reload for pistol calibers 38, 380, 9mm, 40 & 45 and also for my AR. Not reloading for competition or to improve accuracy (at this point) just to shoot on the weekends with my family at the range.

Was curious if there was a specific brand of dies I should purchase over another and if I should consider a factory crimp die or is it something I need to look at, for now.

Any advice I can get will be appreciated.

Thanks!

LDO

GioaJack
09-02-2010, 13:07
Of the calibers you list any brand die will work with one exception, the .380. Due to the thickness of the LNL tool head most seating dies tend to be too short for the .380 without removing the lock ring.

The Hornady .380 dies work fine, other than that one exception your options are pretty much wide open.

BTW, with the free bullet offer from Hornady their dies pretty much end up costing the same as everyone else with the exception of Lee. Good luck.

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
09-02-2010, 13:12
Not a fan of Hornady dies any more.

Lee and Dillon.

fredj338
09-02-2010, 13:15
I have or do use just about every brand out btu Forster or CH. I prefer Dillon for my 550B, good quality & made to work well w/ the Dillon. Redding, RCBS, Hornady & Lee in that order. Lee dies work fine, but you'll get the occasional QC issues. No one "needs" a LFCD for anything. Proof, I load for 22 diff calibers, not a single LFCD among them. Will the LFCD make better ammo, maybe, maybe not. My limited testing w/ the 45acp says yes w/ some bullets & a definite no w/ others. I see little reason to crimp most rifle rounds.

GioaJack
09-02-2010, 13:21
Not a fan of Hornady dies any more.

Lee and Dillon.

That's because there aren't enough pictures in the instructions for you to know how to use them. :whistling:

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
09-02-2010, 13:26
It's because they have a huge failure rate in a case gauge compared to my Lee dies. and even the Dillon dies. That in line seater on the Hornady is a PITA and does not work as advertised. I actually case gauge and use dial calipers to confirm my ammo is good.

GioaJack
09-02-2010, 13:29
It's because they have a huge failure rate in a case gauge compared to my Lee dies. and even the Dillon dies. That in line seater on the Hornady is a PITA and does not work as advertised. I actually case gauge and use dial calipers to confirm my ammo is good.

You use dial calipers? I'm shocked to learn of this... let me get 60 Minutes on the phone, this is breaking news!

Oh, and where the hell is my Kimber... I miss my little baby.

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
09-02-2010, 13:33
Well, a 20% failure rate first time I used a 9mm Hornady in line seating die. 20% didn't pass the admitedly loose Dillon Case gauge. That was with jacketed bullets as well. Switch back to the Lee and it went back to zero failures being the norm in 100. All the ones that failed had bullets seated just a little off center. It was even worse with Lead.

GioaJack
09-02-2010, 14:01
Well, a 20% failure rate first time I used a 9mm Hornady in line seating die. 20% didn't pass the admitedly loose Dillon Case gauge. That was with jacketed bullets as well. Switch back to the Lee and it went back to zero failures being the norm in 100. All the ones that failed had bullets seated just a little off center. It was even worse with Lead.

Uh-oh, another phone call is in order, this time to the Guinness Book of World Records... you have problems that were here-told unknown to man.

How's that breathing thing working out for you... in, out, in, out, in, out... or is it not quite measuring up?

I'm so bored, I wish NASCAR was on.

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
09-02-2010, 17:00
I'm not the only one. Hozer gave up on Hornady dies as well.

unclebob
09-02-2010, 18:30
Of the calibers you list any brand die will work with one exception, the .380. Due to the thickness of the LNL tool head most seating dies tend to be too short for the .380 without removing the lock ring.

The Hornady .380 dies work fine, other than that one exception your options are pretty much wide open.

BTW, with the free bullet offer from Hornady their dies pretty much end up costing the same as everyone else with the exception of Lee. Good luck.

Jack

Just one more reason why I own a 650. You can put the lock rings on the bottom of the tool head.

GioaJack
09-02-2010, 18:36
Just one more reason why I own a 650. You can put the lock rings on the bottom of the tool head.

You can do that on the LNL too but my understanding was that the OP has to buy all new dies... if you're spending the money why not get one that you don't have to adapt?

Oh, I almost forgot, you get a royalty for every set of Lee dies sold. Silly me, I know you can use the extra money since you didn't get a social security raise this year. :supergrin:

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
09-02-2010, 18:38
Uncle Bob doesn't like Lee dies very much.

Uncle Don is the Lee guy.

LDO
09-02-2010, 18:41
Jack,
you are correct. I have the Hornady LNL press but no dies. Well, except for a Lee 4 die set for 380 that a friend gave me to get me started.:supergrin:

GioaJack
09-02-2010, 18:45
Jack,
you are correct. I have the Hornady LNL press but no dies. Well, except for a Lee 4 die set for 380 that a friend gave me to get me started.:supergrin:

Look at that, I go out of my way to help you look good in the eyes of feeble old unclebob and then you go and throw me under the bus in public. You must be related to one of my ex-wives. :crying:

Probably doesn't matter, unclebob is either asleep by now or racing for the bathroom 'cause his Metamucil is kicking in.

Jack

LDO
09-02-2010, 18:51
Look at that, I go out of my way to help you look good in the eyes of feeble old unclebob and then you go and throw me under the bus in public. You must be related to one of my ex-wives. :crying:

Probably doesn't matter, unclebob is either asleep by now or racing for the bathroom 'cause his Metamucil is kicking in.

Jack

Purely unintentional, I just threw the dies in the garbage disposal and called my friend up and told him to F-off.

-1 friend
-150 bux for a new disposal unit
-11 bux for a 12 pack required for installation of above

Staying in the good graces of Jack and Bob.....priceless...(i think):supergrin:

unclebob
09-02-2010, 18:56

Jack

What are you talking about I use some Lee dies. Dillon, Redding, RCBS, Still have some Herters dies.
No it is not my bedtime or naptime or the Metamucil kicks in. With the Metamucil and pills I take every morning just like clock work I pee at 6am, pop at 7am. The only trouble is I donít wake up until 8am.:supergrin:

remlap
09-02-2010, 19:01
I like RCBS dies I have them in about 20 calibers never had many problems with them in over 25 years.I do use the Lee factory crimp dies in the rifle calibers I just change out there Sucky lock nut to a RCBS lock nut.

unclebob
09-02-2010, 19:03
By the way Jack looks like I well be close too your neck of the woods in about two weeks. For a brief period of time. Driving out then flying back.

1glockfan23
09-02-2010, 19:07
I used to exclusively use RCBS dies, but have found Lee dies to be easier to use, more durable, and cheaper.

Zombie Steve
09-02-2010, 19:44
Purely unintentional, I just threw the dies in the garbage disposal and called my friend up and told him to F-off.

-1 friend
-150 bux for a new disposal unit
-11 bux for a 12 pack required for installation of above

Staying in the good graces of Jack and Bob.....priceless...(i think):supergrin:

Smart fella. :supergrin:

I have a mix of Lyman and RCBS dies... no complaints.

glockaviator
09-02-2010, 20:04
Get an arbor press and use Wilson dies. That way no one on here will be able to critisize you because they don't know what they are or how they work.

GioaJack
09-02-2010, 20:10
By the way Jack looks like I well be close too your neck of the woods in about two weeks. For a brief period of time. Driving out then flying back.

Make sure you call me, we'll get together. (If you promise that none of your oldness rubs off on me.)

I'll PM my phone number. (As of right now I have to leave for Ft. Worth on the 24th or 25th. The Texas women are anxiously awaiting my return. :supergrin:)

Jack

GioaJack
09-02-2010, 20:13
Get an arbor press and use Wilson dies. That way no one on here will be able to critisize you because they don't know what they are or how they work.

I feel a very large wager coming on. You're local so I'll accept a check... with two forms of ID. :whistling:

Jack

unclebob
09-02-2010, 20:26
I feel a very large wager coming on. You're local so I'll accept a check... with two forms of ID. :whistling:

Jack

Jack you can collect for me also. Iíam sure Steve, Uncle Don and a few more well take him up on that bet also.

GioaJack
09-02-2010, 20:29
Jack you can collect for me also. Iíam sure Steve, Uncle Don and a few more well take him up on that bet also.

If you're talking about Little Stevie I don't think I'll be collecting anything for him... he thinks arbor is a holiday dedicated to trees. :supergrin:

Jack

unclebob
09-02-2010, 20:44
Make sure you call me, we'll get together. (If you promise that none of your oldness rubs off on me.)

I'll PM my phone number. (As of right now I have to leave for Ft. Worth on the 24th or 25th. The Texas women are anxiously awaiting my return. :supergrin:)

Jack

No problem the 24 we well be on our way too Conyers Ga. For the Glock match. This out too be a good match since I have not shoot any handguns in about 4 months now. Maybe even longer.

PCJim
09-02-2010, 21:40

Steve, had you used a Lee FCD behind that Hornady die, your rounds would have passed the case gauge. :deadhorse:

Colorado4Wheel
09-03-2010, 07:18
Yep, and 2o% of the ammo would have been crappy.

LDO
09-03-2010, 08:17
Any chance of getting back on topic?:dunno::upeyes::dunno::embarassed::dunno:

Colorado4Wheel
09-03-2010, 13:21
How is this off topic? You asked for opinions on dies. They all should work as advertised. ONLY HORNADY gives you the "in-lne seater" standard. Redding has it but it's much better executed and triple the cost. Besides those minor things they all make ammo.

jbrown13
09-03-2010, 14:50
Agree with C4W on Hornady seating die.

Agree with Fred and C4W on LFCD. In fact, I have a 9mm and 38 Special LFCD that have been barely used and highly cussed, that could be had by some needy soul for a pittance. That is, if I can find them in the dark corner I threw them the last time I cussed them.