Dillon vs. Lee Dies in 550B [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dillon vs. Lee Dies in 550B

oregondrifter
09-02-2010, 14:30
I am considering purchasing a Dillon 550B press. Should I use my Lee 45 GAP dies or is it worth an extra $60.00 for a set of Dillon 45 GAP/ACP dies? Thanks, OD.

FiremanMike
09-02-2010, 14:53
I'm going to say no, stick with the Lee dies.

But, you would be much better served to post this in the Reloaders forum, many people there who are much smarter than I.

oregondrifter
09-02-2010, 18:06
I'm going to say no, stick with the Lee dies.

But, you would be much better served to post this in the Reloaders forum, many people there who are much smarter than I.

I agree about the Reloading Board, but don't want to here the GAP bashing.

Do you think it makes a difference that the Lee dies GAP dies and the Dillon are both GAP and ACP?

DannyR
09-03-2010, 05:15
I reload GAP in my 550B using Dillon .45acp dies and a Lee Factory Crimp Die in the final stage. Your Lee dies should work.

oldsoldier
09-03-2010, 07:03
I use Lee dies and mix dies in my 550B tool heads in some cases. For instance I like the Lee sizing and seating dies so I will mix them with Dillon powder and crimp dies. Some of my tool heads are all Dillon dies. I shoot mostly cast bullets and have no use for the Lee factory crimp die so I always use the Dillon crimp die. Your Lee dies will work fine in the 550B but you will have to buy the dillon powder die to work with the Dillon powder measure. You may want to look at buying Dillon lock rings as they are smaller than the Lee locking rings. Not a necessity but I think they fit the tool head better. The 550B is a great press and I've loaded so many rounds on mine that I had to send it back for an overhaul about 4 years ago. True to their word they rebuilt it at no cost to me.