Dawson Precision help - stupid question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dawson Precision help - stupid question

jdavionic
09-02-2010, 17:47
I recently got Dawson Precision Rear fiber option sights. They are adjustable for windage and elevation. The windage adjustment works fine. The elevation has me baffled. If I turn the adjustment screw toward the "UP" arrow, it clicks but I don't see it moving. With further turns of the screw, it clicks some more then unscrews completely - meaning the screw comes out.

Is there something wrong here? Or perhaps the elevation adjustment is just very subtle?

Thanks for the help.

HAMMERHEAD
09-02-2010, 18:36
Sounds like it's binding.
You can either contact Dawson or DIY.
Unscrew the elevation screw all the way, open it up and look for a problem. Is the elevation spring still there? Remove the spring and see if it moves up and down easily. Any binding areas can be stoned/sanded/filed and re-blued.
I had to do some filing on mine to get it to go down a little more, then I re-blued with a touch up pen.

jdavionic
09-02-2010, 19:10
Sounds like it's binding.
You can either contact Dawson or DIY.
Unscrew the elevation screw all the way, open it up and look for a problem. Is the elevation spring still there? Remove the spring and see if it moves up and down easily. Any binding areas can be stoned/sanded/filed and re-blued.
I had to do some filing on mine to get it to go down a little more, then I re-blued with a touch up pen.

When I remove the screw completely, the rear sight doesn't move. I see a little silver ball that looks like it matches the little grooves on the screw.

So that whole rear sight piece should come out when the screw is removed? I didn't do the install. I'd hate to return it for something that is simple to resolve.

jdavionic
09-02-2010, 19:33
I removed the elevation screw and using the flat of a screwdriver, I was able to gently pry the rear sight up. I could see what looked like to small springs. I reinstalled the screw and was able to get tighten it and watch the rear sight go down with the felt clicks of the screw.

I'm guessing those springs are meant to keep constant pressure on the screw and when the screw is removed, they should force the entire rear sight to the upper limit position?

HAMMERHEAD
09-03-2010, 05:42
Yes, the springs push up, the screw holds it down, but the whole thing needs to pivot smoothly. You should not have had to pry it up. When you remove the screw it should swing up freely.
You've got some binding in there, you need to find out where, or contact Dawson.

jdavionic
09-03-2010, 09:03
Yes, the springs push up, the screw holds it down, but the whole thing needs to pivot smoothly. You should not have had to pry it up. When you remove the screw it should swing up freely.
You've got some binding in there, you need to find out where, or contact Dawson.

Outstanding! Once I understood that I would not damage anything by swinging it up, I pried the sight leaf all the way up and figured out where it was binding. I have a small fine file set and removed a little material, then polished the same area, and bingo...it was freely moving.

I then used the laser bore sight to get it close and hit the range. I fined tuned it a little and was then tearing the center out of the target.

Thank you for taking the time to help out. I really appreciate it!

HAMMERHEAD
09-03-2010, 17:21
You're welcome, that's what GT is all about.

Since you didn't install them yourself, be aware that there are two hidden set screws under the blade that have to be loosened if you ever want to remove it for any reason.

Little Joe
09-03-2010, 17:27
I recently got Dawson Precision Rear fiber option sights. They are adjustable for windage and elevation. The windage adjustment works fine. The elevation has me baffled. If I turn the adjustment screw toward the "UP" arrow, it clicks but I don't see it moving. With further turns of the screw, it clicks some more then unscrews completely - meaning the screw comes out.

Is there something wrong here? Or perhaps the elevation adjustment is just very subtle?

Thanks for the help.

If I understand you correctly, that just means you are at the top of the elevation range. Can you screw it all the way back down? Watch and see if the sight is lowering. I think you are just at the top of the adjustment. That's the way mine worked.

LJ

LJ

jdavionic
09-03-2010, 18:52
If I understand you correctly, that just means you are at the top of the elevation range. Can you screw it all the way back down? Watch and see if the sight is lowering. I think you are just at the top of the adjustment. That's the way mine worked.

LJ

LJ

No, sorry...my write may not be clear. If I took the elevation screw out, the sight would not move. It remained in the lowest position (i.e., closest to touching the slide. It would not move up without prying the rear sight leaf up with a screwdriver after removing the elevation screw. And then to get it back down, I had to press hard on the rear sight again. So basically, the only thing the screw accomplished was it would either be installed or not. The sight would not move regardless.

So as mentioned in my last one, I found that the sight leaf was too tight with the rear sight base. A little filing and polishing fixed it all. Works like a champ now.

BTW - I love these sights. They work really well for me. I got the .285 fiber front and it's perfect for me. I'll shoot a match with this gun next week.