Wolf primers [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Wolf primers

Aquagear
09-02-2010, 19:06
hello new to this forum, was wondering if anyone els has had trouble with wolf primers. I have a Glock 19 and a 34, the 34 has a reduced power striker spring, I use it for IDPA. I have had some failures to fire in the 34, anyone else had this trouble?

AZ_Quailhunter
09-02-2010, 19:24
No....I have used the Wolf and Tulammo primers.....they work fine, even though a lot of people give them a bad rap.

Glockin26
09-02-2010, 19:24
How long ago did you buy them? I just bought 10k of the brass ones, I shot 5 primers and everyone went off. I haven't loaded any bullets yet though. I remember hearing some people were having problems with wolf primers but at 18$/k i had to try.

Aquagear
09-02-2010, 19:28
Mine are the silver colored ones no trouble in my Smith & Wesson revolvers just the Glock

frankmako
09-02-2010, 19:34
so far i have not had any problems with them. at first a stayed away from them, then primers got hard to find and the price was too high.

LoadedTech
09-02-2010, 19:39
What's happening, light strikes, or maybe you're not seating them in far enough? You should probably post this in the reloading forum and take some pic's of the unfired rounds, primers. Just some advice from a handloader. Maybe you need a factory striker spring?

G36_Me
09-02-2010, 19:54
for what its worth, my G17 with non-factory parts was having the same issue with CCI Leadfree Small Pistol primers. I swapped moved back to "factory strength" and all the problems went away.

Interesting enough, my G36 has the same non-factory setup and works fine on all the primers I run through at it. I really like the reduced springs and connector feel. When I'm out of the Leadfree primers, I might try to go back. We'll see. For now I'm happy.

Aquagear
09-02-2010, 20:30
same with my 19 (oh well) I checked seating all were seated well, and the Winchester primers worked just fine. Could have just got a hard batch. Just thought I would ask some fellow Glockers

MrVvrroomm
09-03-2010, 10:22
...34 has a reduced power striker spring
I went through 10K Wolf small pistol primers, most of them fired through my STOCK sprung Glocks. I didn't have a single one misfire.

DRAGON1970
09-03-2010, 11:28
I have also loaded and fired a few thousand and not one misfire in the lot.

amazon
09-03-2010, 11:38
I am one who had a terrible experience. Out of each 100 rounds, easily 20% would FTF. There was a good solid strike on the primer.

I picked them up at a gun show - REALLY cheap. I was happy when I got through the 1000 that were loaded. I wrote it off to either being really old stuff, or not stored properly. Too many folks don't have problems with it.

Got to practice slap, rack, bang alot!

unsigned
09-04-2010, 09:48
I've used 10K wolf primers, only had one or two go click. Another member in my pistol league has had about a 5% failure rate. His was a later batch and to me the failures were very surprising.

Boxerglocker
09-04-2010, 10:06
I've run Wolf SSP for a while now. Just got a new case of 5000 SPP from Wideners last week at $18 a K (bought 2 to split Hazmat ans shiping with a buddy).
Loaded 500 yesterday afternoon for last nights for USPSA practice, all went Bang in my G34 and EMP9

njl
09-04-2010, 11:58
There was somebody, either here or on the BE forum who got a batch of Wolf primers with no anvils...and they gave him the run around on replacing them.

Like Wolf ammo, I've been reluctant to try Wolf primers. I still have a box of Wolf 9mm a friend gave me 10 years ago...haven't fired a round from it.

Boxerglocker
09-04-2010, 14:30
There was somebody, either here or on the BE forum who got a batch of Wolf primers with no anvils...and they gave him the run around on replacing them.

Like Wolf ammo, I've been reluctant to try Wolf primers. I still have a box of Wolf 9mm a friend gave me 10 years ago...haven't fired a round from it.

Prior to reloading I shot alot of Wolf 9mm, .40S&W and .45ACP I woulf buy it online from ammoman.com back in the day for $110 delivered for 1000 rounds of 9mm delivered when I lived in CA. It all went BANG, can't recall a single issue with it firing out of my Glocks other than it was dirty.

shotgunred
09-04-2010, 15:27
I've run Wolf SSP for a while now. Just got a new case of 5000 SPP from Wideners last week at $18 a K (bought 2 to split Hazmat ans shiping with a buddy).
Loaded 500 yesterday afternoon for last nights for USPSA practice, all went Bang in my G34 and EMP9

No wolf SSP even listed now.
Are tulsa the same as wolf?

Boxerglocker
09-04-2010, 15:36

Yeah Mike, looks like they are out now... the order me and another buddy made was early-mid August I just opicked them up from him last week. I've heard rumors that the Tulsa are made in the same factory as Wolf, but am not sure.

D. Manley
09-04-2010, 15:44
hello new to this forum, was wondering if anyone els has had trouble with wolf primers. I have a Glock 19 and a 34, the 34 has a reduced power striker spring, I use it for IDPA. I have had some failures to fire in the 34, anyone else had this trouble?

If you do some searching both here and in the Brian Enos reloading forums you will find a ton of information relative to the problem you describe both with lightened Glock triggers and tuned revolvers. I had about a 6% fail-to-fire ratio using the new version, nickle plated Wolf SPP in my range Glocks with tuned triggers. Experimentation showed that they would ignite just fine in stock setup and a compromise that also works is a stock firing pin (mine are lightened) using a Glock OEM FP spring minus 5-coils...not quite as good trigger pull but, still OK and it will light the primers.

Some loaders have reported that the Wolf primers are harder to seat flush however, I had no problems in this regard. It will certainly do no harm to give them a little extra, "umph" when seating them though. IMHO, they are just a little harder to light...may be a little harder/thicker cup material or, may be the priming compound is just not as sensitive but regardless, I can tell you they ARE harder to light than Federal or Winchester. My guns have never once failed to light Winchesters or Federals and I eventually sold off the Wolf to a friend running guns that handled them fine.

Bultx1215
09-04-2010, 19:38

Tula is the parent company that makes Wolf. Now it seems they needed another brand name and chose their own.

http://www.wolfammo.ru/en/

One thing I have always noticed about Wolf ammo...the primers are always set a tad deeper. I've always wondered if this is part of the problem some have with Wolfies. My press will set them just under flush, but still not as deep as the factory stuff.:dunno:

gwalchmai
09-05-2010, 06:01
I shot 100 Wolf SPPs yesterday in .38 SPL and every one went bang first time. Of course, this was in a Ruger Security Six, which has the hammer force of Thor...

I've shot thousands of Wolf primers, LPP and SPP in revos and 1911s and never noticed any serious problems. I have a S&W 625 in .45 Colt which has a VERY light trigger, and it sometimes (<1%) needs two DA strikes to fire, but that happens with Win primers as well. Only Federals are 100% in that gun.

Cleaning primer pockets and DEEP seating primers help a lot, too.

Jon_R
09-05-2010, 06:12
My experience with Wolf primers which I have been using for a few years as that is what I could get at a decent price is that they are harder. You have to hit them harder then average to get them to light.

Stock striker spring never had an issue. I loaded some .45 for a buddy and his Taurus and he had some issues. Sent it back to Taurus and got a heavier spring and it was fine.

I did just swap in some new springs in some glocks and plan to test them tomorrow to see how they work with my reloads. Most I just changed the connector and trigger spring but a couple I did the striker and firing pin safety to.

chris in va
09-05-2010, 10:30
YES! Lots of problems. Bought a box of small and large pistol, had numerous light strikes with all my guns. It was pointed out they need to be firmly pressed into the shell casing, which I did...but still got one in about 40 that needed a second trigger pull.

I even had one full on dud, which has NEVER happened to me with CCI. Needless to say I will pay the extra $5 and NOT buy Wolf again.

Boxerglocker
09-05-2010, 11:54
YES! Lots of problems. Bought a box of small and large pistol, had numerous light strikes with all my guns. It was pointed out they need to be firmly pressed into the shell casing, which I did...but still got one in about 40 that needed a second trigger pull.

I even had one full on dud, which has NEVER happened to me with CCI. Needless to say I will pay the extra $5 and NOT buy Wolf again.

They need to be completely seated, not just firmly pressed. I won't deny that that Wolf primers are harder to seat. The evidence that yours required a second strike to fire shows that the one in forthy were not.
You should do as I do which is visually checked every single reload for high primers before marking and boxing. If unsure I set it aside, attempt to seat them further. It's all about quality control.
The current price of Wolfs are $18.50 a thousand from Wideners, so what you stated as being extra is actually over twice as much in most cases.
I'll use the Wolfs for practice and local matches, save my CCI's and Winchesters for important ones.

GioaJack
09-05-2010, 17:19
Had a trigger job done on my Kimber and picked it up from the smith at the range today. Brought some Wolf primed .45's that I loaded up yesterday.

Saw absolutely no difference between them and CCI, Fed, Win or Magtech. In crimped military brass they're not as forgiving, if you don't have the crimp COMPLETELY removed you'll be stopping to pull the case out of the shell plate.

Got 20K from Wiedners, (sp) a couple weeks ago for $18 per K.

Jack

D. Manley
09-05-2010, 17:55
Had a trigger job done on my Kimber and picked it up from the smith at the range today. Brought some Wolf primed .45's that I loaded up yesterday.

Saw absolutely no difference between them and CCI, Fed, Win or Magtech. In crimped military brass they're not as forgiving, if you don't have the crimp COMPLETELY removed you'll be stopping to pull the case out of the shell plate.

Got 20K from Wiedners, (sp) a couple weeks ago for $18 per K.

Jack

Just curious, Jack.....

Are the LPP still plain brass or have they switched to nickle plate as they did in the SPP?

GioaJack
09-05-2010, 18:04
Just curious, Jack.....

Are the LPP still plain brass or have they switched to nickle plate as they did in the SPP?

D:

I got 10K SP and 10K LP... the LP are brass. Have no idea why the do that but I prefer the nickel... just used to it I guess.

At those prices I kinda wish I'd doubled my order, especially the way the SIL is grinning and drooling.

Jack

shotgunred
09-05-2010, 18:39
I wish they were still available at that price. I need 10K spp.

gwalchmai
09-05-2010, 20:38
It was tough, but I refrained from being greedy at Wideners. Glad more of y'all got in on it, and thanks to those who left me some. :thumbsup:

dla
09-06-2010, 18:11
Tula is the parent company that makes Wolf. Now it seems they needed another brand name and chose their own.

http://www.wolfammo.ru/en/

One thing I have always noticed about Wolf ammo...the primers are always set a tad deeper. I've always wondered if this is part of the problem some have with Wolfies. My press will set them just under flush, but still not as deep as the factory stuff.:dunno:

Yep, you're right. Actually Wolf LP Magnums are under sized - too short. This may or may not cause an issue depending on the firearm. This why you will find Wolf LPM for cheap. BTW - Wolf LPM will NOT work with ball powders - very poor primer.

dla
09-06-2010, 20:49
One more note - Wolf LP Magnum are so bad that they don't work very well in 45acp with Silhouette (WAP) either. They really are a very bad primer - avoid.

cyberiad
09-07-2010, 12:38
I haven't loaded that many rounds with Wolf SP primers yet. I tried them in an XDM 40 S&W with a Powder River trigger kit installed and about 3 out of 20 did not ignite (they were all 'well indented'). Lately, I have been using them in a S&W Model 67 (38 special) that has been 'worked on' a little but will ignite CCI primers and have not had any problems so far. For now, I'll save the Wolf primers for the revolver.

Glockin26
09-07-2010, 19:03
I shot 100 bullets with wolf small pistol primers yesterday, all went bang. These are nickel colored.

Burien
09-07-2010, 19:26
Found this about a bad lot of Wolf Small Pistol Primers 14-09 FYI, only issues i had was not seating them all the way in the primer pocket on brass, only one in many many many reloads...

I use wolf all the time in Small Pistol but this week I realized lot number 14-09
Stamped under box of 1000 had issues, maybe the anvils are not set close enough I don't know, but FYI FTF on them.

One out of 100 +/- will not go off first time, some times second time is great, once or twice the 3rd time was all it took, used lots of them in the past 5 years, never a problem, but at least it lets you see if your pulling the pistol too hard. So Great training / range practice ammo that's the bright side. These came from Miwal at the cow palace, factory sealed case.

Switch two different pistols, same problem, change out strikers and springs, same problem, so swapped out ammo with Win loaded primers, all day no issues. Just an FYI to you loaders, not real dangerous on the range, but if you home gun or carry is hand loaded with wolf small pistol primers lot 14-09 be warned. ( I know I know, don't carry hand loads in your carry gun or house gun, whatever..