Need some advise on 38 spl reloading [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need some advise on 38 spl reloading

engineermike
09-03-2010, 00:50
Ok, I have this re-occuring problem. I resize my brass and the brass fits into the cylinder, then I get to the part where I have to seat and crimp. After seating and crimping one or two of the cases are wrinkled about half way down the case and several of the other cases have gotten bigger at the case head and are either tight in the cylinder or will only go about half way in. While setting my crimp I have turned the die body down until it hits the mouth of the brass and then started to turn down the die body about a 1/16 turn until I achived the desired crimp. The desired crimp is at the point the bullet fits into the cylinder of the pistol. The crimping is done after I have set the seater to the desired C.O.L. and the seat adjuster backed out a few turns while I adjusted the crimp. After the crimp is then adjusted I reset the seater adjustment and then try to seat and crimp at the same time but with not much success. If anyone can help I would appreciate the advise.

I am using a Hornady Classic press (With a Cam-Over) and using Hornady New Dimention titanium dies. I am also using an RCBS shell holder as Hornady says that RCBS shell holders will work in their presses.

Something else I just though of, after I have reached the top of the stroke and I am raising the press arm I notice either the bullet or the case seems to stick to something in the die. It does not come out of the die body in a smooth motion. So can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
<!-- / message -->

phonejack
09-03-2010, 04:30
you haven't mentioned "belling or flaring " the case after resizing. you need to do that prior to seating the bullet.

engineermike
09-03-2010, 06:10
The belling / flaring was done in step two. I belled a little more than usual as I am using Barry's bullets. I even tried belling a little more and that had no effect I still have the same problem.

BHP9
09-03-2010, 06:59
It sounds like you have too much crimp and you are crushing the cases.

unclebob
09-03-2010, 07:13
What Berry bullets are you using, Plated or lead?

engineermike
09-03-2010, 08:56
I am using platted bullets, and I agree that I am crushing the cases when trying to crimp. I am wondering why I am getting to much crimp when I am only crimping to the point that the bullets will fit into the cylinder.
My next step is to measure my cases, but in everyother bulleten board everyone just laughs at me when I mention that I may want to trim my pistol brass. But I don't know that uniforming my brass will solve my problem.
Anymore ideas?

BHP9
09-03-2010, 09:18
You don't need to trim.

You need to find a happy medium for the crimp.

No powder or primer required for this.
Adjust the die without the crimp and load a round, then turn 1/8th of a turn and load another round, is it wrinckled? no, try it in the chamber, GTG? then turn another 1/8th of a turn and so on.

You only need about 0.002" - 0.003" of crimp.

Do you have the right seating plug in the die?

albyihat
09-03-2010, 09:35
you do not need any crimp at all just remove the bell in the case. as long as the bell is gone and the round will chamber you are good to go. instead of turning it down a 1/16 when it contacts the brass go up or do nothing then do seating. now if you are loading heavy recoiling .357 mag rds. to upper limit pressures then you need to crimp but for most all .38 spl no crimp should be fine.

Three-Five-Seven
09-03-2010, 10:15
Hold on there, Newt....

Do your bullets have a crimping groove??? If they don't, then there is no consistent way to apply a crimp without distorting something. You can't fill a glass that's already full.

If your bullets have no crimp groove, you should start shopping for bullets that do have a crimp groove. With a crimp groove, the crimping operation will go smoothly and the finished rounds will fit in your chambers.

If you are married to these bullets, then a Lee Factory Crimp die will rescue you.

engineermike
09-03-2010, 10:17
I am using the flat plug with the flat nosed bullet. What I believe is happening is I am seating the bullet and then setting the crimp. That bullet is fine, but when I try to seat and crimp I believe the the crimp is getting in the way of the bullet and putting pressure on the case walls and expanding the area around the case head or putting a wrinkle in the case wall. I am going to try to seat the bullet and then crimp/remove the bell and see how that works.

fredj338
09-03-2010, 12:50
As TFS notes, sounds like over crimping, easy to do w/ a plated bullet & no crimp groove. It casues a small buckle just past the case mouth. Back off the crimp, it should be barely noticeable.

Daryl in Az
09-03-2010, 12:55
Whether others laugh or not, check the length of your brass.

If they're inconsistent, then trim them back to a consistent length.

If they aren't consistent, then the longer ones will get over-crimped (or crushed), and the shorter ones will get under-crimped.

fredj338
09-03-2010, 12:59
Whether others laugh or not, check the length of your brass.

If they're inconsistent, then trim them back to a consistent length.

If they aren't consistent, then the longer ones will get over-crimped (or crushed), and the shorter ones will get under-crimped.

No one will laugh at that, it's quite true. Although if you keep your laods mild, they don't stretch like magnum cases.

unclebob
09-03-2010, 13:15
No one will laugh at that, it's quite true. Although if you keep your laods mild, they don't stretch like magnum cases.

Like what Fred said. But you well find very few people that size any pistol case. I problem have done over a quarter of a million rounds with out trimming a pistol case yet with no problems. Even with putting the case mouth in the crimp grove of the bullet. Even thought the books well tell you too case trim the pistol brass.