The .357 Sig for SD ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The .357 Sig for SD ?

Strawberry 5
09-03-2010, 10:50
Hello Mr. Ayoob

Been a reader of yours for many a year.

Here's my question. How does the .357 Sig stack up against other calibers ?

Here is the info I've seen that makes it hard to get an answer.

I have heard it was just a pumped up 9mm to it exactly replicates the .357 mag 125s.

It's a standard 9mm bullet to it's ALOT different in its design.

It penetrates barriers the best to the new designer/magic bullets dpx, etc... allow other calibers to do the same or better.

Its muzzle flip is worse than any other auto save a 10mm to it's less recoil than a .40.

It penetrates barriers and drops people very well to yes, it penetrates but hits like 9mm ball ammo.

What company's loading does the most justice to the .357 Magnum version ?

What load would you choose to run in an all purpose .357 Sig ?

My current set up and has been for years is a Glock 23 with Remington 155 plain jane JHP. How does the .357 Sig measure up to that loading ?
Assuming the .357 Sig does do barriers well annnnnnd hits with authority I'm thinking a switching to a Glock 32 when its 4th gen version come out. I know most departments seem to get it for work around vehicles but I'm in parking lots and cars everyday running errands so it seems to make sense to me to have the ability to get thru cars for me too.

Sorry for so many questions but I can't get a definite answer anywhere.

Mas Ayoob
09-04-2010, 20:17
Welcome to Glock Talk.

Good news with .357 SIG round:

Great "stopping power" with 125 grain high-tech JHPs like the Gold Dot.

Extremely accurate.

Good tactical penetration.

Very flat trajectory for long shots.

Mere swap of barrel in most guns, swap of barrel and magazine in a few, turns it into .40 S&W for versatility.

Early problems with case neck separations (which turned yours truly off from this cartridge for many years) solved over time, no longer really a problem with current factory ammo.

Bad news with .357 SIG round:

Ammo hard to find, a real problem when traveling.

Very sharp report.

Some find it a difficult round to reload.

RECOIL:

Subjective. I personally feel less kick with 125 grain .357 SIG than with hot 155-165 grain .40s at 1200/1140 fps. YMMV.

Hoping this is responsive to your needs,
Mas

Strawberry 5
09-14-2010, 08:53
Thank you for the answers Mr. Ayoob and forgive my late reply, been down with a severe stomach bug

I believe I'm just about sold on the .357 Sig.

Also on a slightly different note, has there been any scuttlebutt amongst you industry in the know types about a possible 19/23/32 size version of the S&W M&P ? Shot one awhile back and liked it alot but with my frame and the clothes the weather demands a 23 is about as big as I can comfortably carry concealed.