Remington 870 Express Tactical or 887 Tactical? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Remington 870 Express Tactical or 887 Tactical?

cowboy1964
09-03-2010, 13:33
I think I've narrowed down my choices to these two for my first 12ga. The 870 is a proven classic but I like the coating and the recoil pad on the 887. Which would you choose and why?

aippi
09-03-2010, 18:47
The 887 was voted "Dog of the year" by several gun magazines that tested it. It did not sell well to hunters so Remington came out with a tactical version since many people who buy these guns buy them for looks, shorten the barrel and put some mess on it and it will sell. Well it is not working and this dog will not be around long.

There have been over 10,000,000 870's sold and there are several clones of it out there. The design is so solid that there have been only a few minor changes in 60 years. It is the most versitile pump on the market today. It is simple to break down and clean and easy to work on. It is proven in the field and on the streets. No other reasons are needed.

xfarfuldog
09-04-2010, 10:23
If you choose the 870 I would suggest going with the police model. Remington puts only their best parts in it. Other 870's will probably fit your bill admirably but the police model will outlast it because of the heavier duty parts. Just ask Reminton.

aippi
09-04-2010, 12:59
FArdog - this is not to pick apart your post but to let the OP the facts. You are very wrong that the police model would last longer then the Express since they are the same wepaon. There is only one 870 and they differ only by finish and furniture. There are only three parts different between the Express and Police. The Extractor $14 instead of the $5 one in the Express, one small $3 spring is different then the one in the Express but the one in the Express cost $3 also. The Express has a polymer trigger plate Housing which is stronger the Police cast metal housing and I use the Polymer on all my personal 870 because of this. ALL THE OTHER PARTS, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM ARE THE SAME IN EVERY 870.

So, you would think from the above that there is a $9 parts difference between the Express and the Police. Wrong. On the Remington parts list the 18.5" bead sight matte barrel that comes on the Express cost $134 but the 18.5" bead sight parkerized barrel that comes on the police cost $101. The breech bolts both cost $97 and are the same bolt but the police has the solid steel extractor and the express has the MIM, yet both cost $97. Figure that one out. As for the rest of the parts they all cost the same since they are the same parts. For Example: Stripped Express receiver $247, Stripped Police Receiver $247, Stripped Wingmaster receiver $247. Why, because they are the same receiver except for finish.

I showed from the parts list that if you built two weapons, 4+1 Express and a 4+1 Police both with the same stock set, you can build the 4+1 police for over $40 cheaper the the Express. Of course you would never do this as the weapons would cost twice what they would cost assembled.

Get the 870 with the finish and furniture that fits your need and your wallet. There is only one 870 and they will all last the exact same amount of time based on how you treat them and care for them.